• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Lockheed Vacuum Brake Booster

sp8

Freshman Member
Hi

Well, I'm moving on to bigger and better things and I have acquired a Lockheed Brake Booster for my BJ8. The instructions for installing the booster are really different than the Girling setup that came originally with the car. For instance they show a loop trap (basically a low point) in the vacuum line for fuel to collect and thus not get to the brake booster. Additionally, they want the booster installed at about the same height as the master cylinder and the Girling wasn't. It was installed off some brackets at the floor boards on the right hand side directly behind the front wheel.

Anyway, I was looking for someone that may have some experience installing these things and have some recommendations. Pictures obviously speak more than words but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well SP8, I have not used that booster in the Healeys,However, I have seen them mounted just like the originals in others cars.Why all the installation restrictions I would query Lockheed.Further I do not know where they expect to get fuel in the vacuum line?.--Keoke

davelgee

Er, perhaps that is a "fluid" trap, as opposed to fuel?

Cheers!
Dave G.
P.S. Where in Az. might you be at sp?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Er, perhaps that is a "fluid" trap, as opposed to fuel?

Cheers!
Dave G.
P.S. Where in Az. might you be at sp?

[/ QUOTE ]

OH! I guess he is down there in the flat land close to you Dave. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif A fluid trap makes more sense as it is possible with a failure to suck Hydraulic fluid into the vacuum chamber, and then into the intake manifold where it makes copious amounts of white smoke in the exhaust ,but it would need a big trap!. Further, if its in the vacuum line itself its worthless--Keoke-AZ- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cowboy.gif

OP
S

sp8

Freshman Member
Dave G. I'm in the lovely metropolis of Waddell Arizona. Since you probably haven't heard of that, I live a little south of Surprise and about 6 miles due east of Luke AFB.

I've been fooling around with the booster and I think I have finally figured out a way to mount it in the same location but not the same exact way. I will have to weld a bracket onto the frame to support the booster but then all the hydraulic lines look like they line up real nice and there is plenty of room to run the vacuum line.

The fluid/fuel trap mystifies me also. If it is needed for this new booster, then why wasn't it needed for the old booster? Regardless, there looks like there is a backflow preventer that has to be installed in the vacuum line anyway so that it would seem that it would prevent fluids from getting to the booster pump anyway.

Again, thanks for the opinions and ideas. This has/is a great learning experience for me and I'm glad you guys are readily available.

OP
S

sp8

Freshman Member
Dave G. In rereading my note, I realize that I wrote east of Luke AFB. In reality Luke AFB is east of where I live therefore I live about 6 miles due west of Luke. Whew, that was close.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Dave G. In rereading my note, I realize that I wrote east of Luke AFB. In reality Luke AFB is east of where I live therefore I live about 6 miles due west of Luke. Whew, that was close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I have not heard of that place either but I guess you are just outside of Phoenix a bit north Huh ?. Still in the Hot Flat lands though.--Keoke-- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif--AZ- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cowboy.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]

The fluid/fuel trap mystifies me also. If it is needed for this new booster, then why wasn't it needed for the old booster?

[/ QUOTE ]

-- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif
Well SP8 thats because the failure mode I alluded to occurs within the booster itself.There are seals between the vacuum section of the booster and the hydraulic section that fail,which allows the fluid to enter the vacuum section and fill it up.This reservoir of fluid can then be sucked via the vac hose to the intake manifold and burned in the engine.Consequently, a fluid trap is not a viable thing. Futher, IMOP it is an english whisper.--Fwiw--Keoke

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Ahhh, shooting localizer approaches.... Loved to do that before the FAA took my medical away... well, actually AFTER two heart attacks and a quad bypass.... I guess they don't want me falling out of the sky unexpectedly....

Now, I just drive around in a couple of old British cars shooting approaches into my driveway with my eyes closed...

Not quite the same.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I know, waaa /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif, waa /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif, waa /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif

"Now, I just drive around in a couple of old British cars shooting approaches into my driveway with my eyes closed......hay thats not a bad thing! for an extra thrill you could pull out your old i.f.r. hood and take the cars out on the highway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif yesterday a b17 flew over me here in stamford ct. that was way "cool" stay well and enjoy the cars /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif