• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Replacing Lockheed Axle Seals 56 TR3

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Just about to order new seals as both of mine have decided to develop leaks over the winter while in storage. Assume both axles have to come out completely to replace seals, or is it easier than I anticipate? Anyone done this and able to offer any suggestions/cautions? Any advice most welcome. Anything else that is worth replacing while I'm in there? Cheers, Mike

TRTEL

Jedi Trainee
Mike, Although the Lockheed axles have had a reputation for bearing failure, I have to believe those cars that did were really pushed to their limits constantly. You should try to get your hands on a shop manual. At the very least you'll have to rent a good size bearing puller. At least these axles come apart relatively easy compared to the later tapered hubs. Anyway check the bearings and good quality replacements are not cheap. The does seem to be some confusion in the current parts books, but maybe they all carry the later part, which is what fits yours in any case. As soon as you can read the number on the bearing, try calling some bearing suppliers in your area. Maybe someone in your club has a parts washer or take it to a garage to get all the crud off the bearing. See if you can feel any spalling on the top of the race where all the pressure is and rotate slowly, enough times so that all the ball bearings make contact with that area. If it feels okay, then just relube and reassemble, but if it were mine I would rotate the race 180 degrees so you will be dealing with a less stressed part of the race. Punch mark or paint your top bolt for reference before removal. Have fun.

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Mike, are you talking about the grease seals in the axle tubes?

Cheers
Tush

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
You can follow me through my axle rebuild...

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?99644-Lockheed-Axle&highlight=Lockheed

The lockheeds don't have a grease seal, just a cup to hold the grease. The bearings tend to stick in the tubes...so you will have to take the center cover off and start the axles outward with a screwdriver from the pumpkin.

No seals on the brake back plates...but I used sealant there. Also, read the tech order on using sealant on the axle to hub splines.

TRTEL

Jedi Trainee
There are grease seals fitted to the outside of the bearing in the outer housing half. That keeps the rear axle oil, which keeps the ball bearings lubed, off the drums. The cut away drawing in the shop manual shows the seal's guts, which was probably leather, along with the surrounding spring that holds it tight to the polished surface of the inner part of the hub that buts against the axle shoulder/flange that the hub is torqued up to. Am assuming we are talking rear axle here.

OP
mgedit

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks for the input guys. Been out all day. Will try to investigate early part of next week. I'm getting gear oil out ends of axle tubes, so that's what I'm trying to fix. Cheers, Mike

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I guess what I wrote was a bit ambiguous. There is an outer seal, but there is no inner grease seal, as used on the later axles. Just inner grease cups" welded inside the asle tubes. There also is no seal for the outer bearing race...so using sealant on the outer race would be prudent, along with sealing the hub splines.

OP
mgedit

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Just getting started on this today. Ready to try to pull the hub, but concerned about doing this correctly as I've read the cautions about stressing the hub and splines. Since I don't have Churchill tool M86, just wondering what others have used. Pictures of the puller setup you used would be very handy in trying to come up with something appropriate. Thanks, Mike

OP
mgedit

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hi Bob, yes have been reading that one. My axle is Lockheed brake system and different hub arrangement from Girling style on later cars. Cheers, Mike

OP
mgedit

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
OK ... have limited range of pullers. Just experimented with this, but think it is exactly what I'm not supposed to do. Only tightened enough to hold puller on hub, but it would be very hard to hold from turning with car on hoist and both back wheels off ground. Only thing I can think of using is maybe a large bearing puller or making some sort of clamp together ring that the puller to pull on behind hub, but not much room in there for anything with much meat. Wonder if TR6 style hub puller would work? Other ideas/suggestions most welcome. Cheers, Mike

Puller.jpg

TR6 hub puller

TR6 Puller.jpg

OP
mgedit

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Just finished pulling the hubs. Used a TR6 hub puller. Fit nice and snug to the outer flange and the hub walked off easily. Lot easier than the fun of splitting TR6 hubs.

Used extra nut to protect threads, pipe wrench to turn screw, and old tire iron to hold things in place. Several days thinking and looking for appropriate puller, 15 minutes to do the job. Now will have to figure out how to push the hub back on when I get the seals for TRF and have them installed. Pictures for those who are interested.

Cheers, Mike

Nut.jpg

Hub Puller.jpg

Hub Removed.jpg

Splines.jpg

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Nice pics...it looks like the leak was pretty small. The axles I have were caked with grunge from grease/oil leakage.

The hub goes back on easily using the nut. I can't remember, but you may have to start it with the thick flat washer removed to get enough bite, and once it is in a bit, the washer goes back on and torque it properly. How was your splined collar? It has slits that flex when the hub is tightened, and that's where it is common to get cracks started.

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Good job Mike!

OP
mgedit

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Bit further along. Both of the splined collars look OK to me, but I still have to give them a good cleaning. The right one had a rubber washer sandwiched under it. At first I thought it must have been a piece from a seal that had disintegrated, but I don't see how that could have happened. Anyone ever seen anything like this? Don't see anything in service manual or diagrams of rear axle that would suggest there is supposed to be anything like that there. Also don't understand why anyone would add washer there as it is a torqued joint. I plan to reassemble without any rubber in there unless there is a good reason not to do so.

Cheers, Mike

Left.jpg

Right.jpg

Right_2.jpg

Last edited:

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
The rubber was an attempt to seal the splines...which was a problem with this axle all the way until production switched to the taper axles. The final solution before giving up was to use a rope of what looks like butyl rubber as a sealant. Here is the TO...

OP
mgedit

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks John. Assume Prestik is unavailable. Guess some other sealant (like Permatex high temp RTV) might be used and just squeezed in there before adding collar. Anyone experimented with this? Cheers, Mike

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I used RTV Black, but I have not run the axle yet.

I think the closest to original prestik would be windshield beading....that nasty black stuff that is round, comes in a roll, and sticks to everything it touches. Most paint supply stores carry it. I've used it enough to know I'd rather avoid it, but it is a great sealant that would squeeze into the tiniest space.

Nanhook

Freshman Member
Country flag
i am sorry if I put up this old post but I have a question, is possible to replace the axle bearing without dismantle the brake, after the hub is removed the bearing is reachable by a puller even if the axle shaft is still there?