• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 Lockheed brake/clutch MC bracket...

jwolff

Jedi Hopeful
My early '56 TR3 came with a bracket and clutch and master cylinders from a TR4, but still has the Lockheed drums all around. Does anyone have a Lockheed master cylinder bracket they'd be willing to sell? Or if this turns out to be impossible to find, does anyone know of any write ups on converting from the Lockheed to the Girling setup with discs up front?

Thanks for any help!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Can't help, but I'm curious about what you are trying to fix. The Girling MC should work OK with the drums, although the pedal might be a bit hard.

I don't know of a write-up anywhere, but converting to disc brakes in the front is pretty easy. You'll need the caliper, caliper bracket, hub & rotor from a later car, but the vertical link is the same. Only exception is the soft brake line, your car probably won't have the mounting tabs in the right place. Easy solution to that is custom-made longer lines, Ted at TSi should be able to make them for you.
https://www.tsimportedautomotive.com/

Or fabricate and weld the tabs in the right place.

On the rear, I think it depends on whether you still have the early axle. If so, I would suggest either leaving the Lockheed brakes, or swapping out the entire axle assembly (including brakes) for the later, stronger unit.

OP
J

jwolff

Jedi Hopeful
I guess I'm trying to get a set up that will work together as right now I have a TR4 master cylinder bracket along with clutch and brake master cylinders and the forks don't line up correctly with the pedal arms (there was a bolt going through the forks with the arm bolted to the side instead of the middle of the fork). The car has been off the road for at least 20 years so I'm not sure how the current set up worked when it was drivable. I've located a bracket from a 3a, so I might just go with the girling setup for the hydraulics and leave the drum set up as is. Thanks for the information on converting over to discs up front.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Thanks for the explanation.

The discs are a very worthwhile upgrade, IMO. My previous 56 had the front drums, and they were a real disappointment after getting used to the discs. When I picked this one out, the Girling brakes were a "must have".

OP
J

jwolff

Jedi Hopeful
Glad my explanation made sense to you. It sounds like I might want to go that route then, does having wire wheels affect any of the parts I'll be looking for with the upgrade (such as the hub)? Thanks!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
On the later cars, the only difference between wire wheels and steel is the length of the studs. If you get steel wheel hubs, you'll need to either shorten the studs or replace them. Not hard at all to just cut them off with a hacksaw, but of course check their condition first.

Of course, you'll also need the splined adapters, special lug nuts and knockoff.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
One of the advantages to having a TR over an MG is that the wire wheel "hub" is a bolt on part right over the existing steel wheel hub. Like Randall said, all you need are the splined hub adapters, the proper lug nuts, and you will have to shorten the studs.
I'm going to be doing the same brake upgrade to my TR2 here shortly. Same plan as you. I have all the TR4A disc parts, I need the Girling brake master bracket and goodies, and the rest is just re-routing lines and fabricating brackets for the hoses.

JohnB

Jedi Hopeful
Bronze
Country flag
Banjo,

When I converted my '54 TR2 to discs, I used my old Lockheed M/C (rebuilt) with no problems discovered so far, and much better braking than the old drums. Strongly suggest using DOT5 fluid.

I also converted to wires, but cut just enough of the studs to clear the inside of the wire's inner hub. That way there is still enough "meat" left to still use the original steel rims and lug nuts in a pinch.

OP
J

jwolff

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks for all of your advice, I think I have a plan now. My car already has wire wheels, that's why I wanted to make sure I didn't need a special hub. If anyone has calipers, caliper brackets, and hubs from a later 3or 3a that you'd be willing to sell I would be interested (or should I post this in the classifieds section?) My email is jwolff3 at verizon dot net

thanks again

OP
J

jwolff

Jedi Hopeful
Hi Marvin,
I haven't received your PM yet, did you email me or PM me through the forum?

Tr3aguy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Jwolff,
I will check my parts boxes when I get near the other ride in a few weeks. In the meantime here is a thought as well place a wanted ad in the BCF classified....
Triumph Classified