• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A EARLY TR3 hubs for wire wheel?????

vpanza

Freshman Member
Silver
Country flag
I am restoring an early 1956 TR3 TS 12010. The chassis has the four bolt Lockheed rear axle and while it had been converted to disk brakes on the front, I found all the parts I need to convert it back to Lockheed drum brakes on the front (yes, I know this is going backwards, but trying to maintain original configuration:smile:. My question is this: I see that the parts book specifies different hubs for steel vs spoked wheels. I compiled all the hub specs in the chart below:

Once again, this is from the original parts manual. As you can see, for the earlier cars, up to 13046, the hubs on both the left and right sides are the same for both front and rear (different parts for front and rear, but the same for both sides: same with those on the later cars after 13046).

What gets confusing are the hubs for spoked wheels. The books calls for different part numbers for RH and LH when installing wire wheels for both front and back.

I have a spoked wheel spindle and it fit on the hubs I currently have (car had steel wheels) and I am wondering what the difference is??? Could it just be the studs, which I can either change or cut????????? Of, is the design of the actual hub different from that used for steel wheels. And why a difference between RH vs LH.

I have a later axle and the correct disk parts from a parts car, TS 14666 and can install all of that, which I am assured is a better way to go. But as I noted, I was hoping to build the car to original specs.

TR3 Hub types
Position<13046>13046Wheel type
Front
109975​
114284​
Steel wheels
Front RH
108277​
114283​
Wire wheels
Front LH
108278​
114283​
Wire wheels
Rear
109553​
113175​
Steel wheels
Rear RH
109551​
113173​
Wire wheels
Rear LH
109550​
113173​
Wire wheels

Thanks in advance for any feedback on this question. As for the different studs, I am aware of the spacer solution, but would be more inclined to change the studs as I have the car apart at present.

Thx
Vic

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Interesting. I can only guess...and that would be that the early hubs had left hand stud threads on the right side. Later they must have decided the reverse threads were not necessary. The steel vs wire difference is, of course, the length of the studs to clear the wheel spokes.

OP
vpanza

vpanza

Freshman Member
Silver
Country flag
Thanks. If that's the case, I am home free. I'll check the threads on my early hubs, but as I recall, they all seem to be standard RH threads.

Really appreciate your comments
Vic

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
When you say hubs, are you talking about the knock offs? They should have a direction for rotation on the knock for left and right side so they do not come lose. It is counterintuitive when it comes to direction off turning, so as when the car rolls they stay tight. If done correct, and you pick the car up from the back to tow it, I guess the front knock offs can come lose at least that is what I heard.

Steve

OP
vpanza

vpanza

Freshman Member
Silver
Country flag
No, I am referring the the hub that attaches to the axle and has the four studs in it for the wheels (or spinners). The spinners and knock-off's fit outside of the hub.

Thx

Country flag
TR2 and early TR3 had this hub set up for wire wheels. Theres a special spacer used, which is near impossible to find. I have the whole set up I will sale. I kept it thinking I would find a TR2 to put them on. PM me if interested

Attachments

• IMG_0166.jpeg
    IMG_0166.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0165.jpeg
    IMG_0165.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 47