• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Master Cylinder 56 TR3 [Lockheed]

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My master has started to leak. Some fluid has come out from behind the seal on the clutch side and into the bellows, which although new has cracked and fluid is slowly seeping out. Looking for good quality rebuild kit as I am running DOT5 silicone (paint says thanks). Looks like TRF may not carry kits for early cars (sent email to ask). Moss seems to carry the kit. Anyone with experience with Moss kit and silicone fluid? Any other suppliers that would be worth considering? And here I thought I had most of the gremlins sorted out and could actually enjoy some time behind the wheel!

Cheers, Mike

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
There are no new kits. The NOS are available on eBay, but they are getting old for rubber parts. There is a shop back east that will rebuild it, with brass sleeves and a lifetime warranty. I'm working on my cell phone, or I'd look up the shop. To find it, look for an old thread I started and it's given in there somewhere.

Having been where you are, it's money well spent. I sent mine after researching for months.

OP
mgedit

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hi John. Might it be Whitepost? My MC was re-sleeved by them before I got the car in boxes. I think the bore is not the issue but the quality of the rubber parts. Unfortunately, I chucked the receipt for the Whitepost work as the receipt was saturated in brake fluid. I'd like to source better quality parts, but as you say that might not be easy to do. Cheers, Mike

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Got my internet back after the act of God from selling a Triumph!?! (Now just need to fix 2 a/c systems, 2 TVs, garage doors, gate opener, treadmill, sprinklers, alarm, phones...)

It was, indeed Whitepost. I used them a couple years ago, and I know they were having issues finding parts too, but they may have them now. Here is the thread...

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?96267-Early-Lockheed-Master-Cylinders

Edit...just read the old post...Mike, it seems you are the one who put me on to White Post! Seems I'm no help at all...been laughing for 10 minutes.

OP
mgedit

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks Tush and John. Will do some phoning tomorrow to see what I can find out. I did talk to Whitepost when I put in the seals I had on hand last summer. I don't think they will just sell just rebuild kit. Cheers, Mike

2long

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I had two done by Whitepost, and they are good. They no longer supply the bellows with their rebuild, but TRF has them now. Part no. is 501194.

Dan

OP
mgedit

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks Dan. Had found the bellows at TRF, but no listing for rebuild kits. Moss does show a listing for a rebuild kit. Cheers, Mike

OP
mgedit

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
TRF does carry a rebuild kit. https://trf.zeni.net/TR2-TR3GB/170.php

One on way with some other parts. Took MC out tonight and there is definitely black residue on clutch side, although both sides had fluid caught in bellows. So looks like the old seals I had started to break down after only a few months.

Quick question though - are the bellows designed to catch any fluid that gets by the cup? If not are they just fancy dust caps or do they have another role in life?

Cheers, Mike

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
The bellows are just dust caps. If they are holding fluid then the cylinder seals have already failed

OP
mgedit

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks John. That's what I thought. Will give a rebuild one more shot, and if that fails guess I'll send it off to White Post. Cheers, Mike

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
When I sent mine to them, I asked if I should wait, since I knew the cylinder will sit on the shelf for at least 3 years before going back in the car. The owner's response was, "if it leaks, just send it back and we'll fix it under warranty." It might be worth calling to see if they will do the same for your's.

OP
mgedit

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Problem is I want to continue with silicone fluid and according to my email exchange with Whitepost that voids any warrantee, although they will assemble and test with silicone at customer's request. Given number of people using silicone in vintage cars, too bad seals are not available that are compatible. Cheers, Mike

OP
mgedit

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Dan, no worries. I think it is an important consideration. I first used an NOS kit that came with my car. Hoping that "modern" one from TRF will give better results. Cheers, Mike