• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Orientation of Lockheed brake servo

M

Member 17500

I've been using a Lockheed brake servo in my BJ8 for at least 15 years. It was installed during the restoration (rebuild kits for the original Girling servo were not available) with a mounting bracket that was sold at the time, but is no longer produced. I rebuilt the servo once (a nasty job because of its location), but it proved a good unit. However, now I've been having problems with my braking system. I recently posted my travails about the mystery of vanishing brake fluid, and despite heroic efforts by this forum, was unable to determine the cause. Rebuilding the Lockheed unit again did not solve the problem. So, unable to identify another cause (absolutely no leaks!) and thinking that either my rebuild was faulty or the unit was damaged in a way that would not be corrected by a rebuild, I decided to buy and install a replacement unit. The replacement (LE10117) is nearly identical to the original, which was important as I wanted to fit it my existing mounting bracket (and it does fit!), except for two things: First, the instructions clearly stated that the unit should be installed at a 25-45 degree angle to horizontal, and, second, a mounting bracket of different design from my original was included to achieve the specified angle. But with my old bracket the servo was in a horizontal position and the unit functioned well in that orientation. The new bracket is not easily fitted to my car. Cutting and welding would be required and even then I don't think the new bracket would fit in the present location beneath and behind the right fender well. So........does anyone know the reason for the specified tilt of the new Lockheed unit? Should I assume that the new unit will work as well as the old one in a horizontal position and ignore the disturbing directive? Or is there an internal redesign or reason that requires the new servo to be mounted in a different orientation??

number6

Jedi Trainee
I am not sure that it matters, unless it is related to getting a clean bleed on the fluid. Both my Rover and MGC have remote boosters (they are Girling) but their orientation on both cars are nearly
horizontal. Lockheed may be different, but I can't see how. On my first Spitfire I added a booster in the passenger foot well to keep it cooler and cleaner. It was a Lockheed unit but I don't remember any specific orientation instructions, it was mounted cylinder up chamber down. I am thinking that a call to someone like Apple hydraulics or White post restorations might be in order to be sure.

SideShifter Tri-Carb

Country flag
As for the leaks, I would pay really close attention to the wheel cylinders. I'm sure that was probably discussed in great depth on the previous thread, but they can be hard to find if the car is driven frequently. I only caught mine after it was sitting about a month and I rolled the car back and spotted the wet spot at one wheel.