• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spark Plug Wire Orientation

fwtexasbj8

Country flag
I purchased a set of Cobalt ignition wires for my BJ-8 and found I could not connect the #4 plug because the wire was too short. I tried installing them in every combination and one wire was always too short to reach the cap. In talking to the Moss Technical Support folks, a question was raised on how my distribtor is oriented. My #1 wire is at the 3 o'clock position when looking down on the distributor cap. The Moss tech says he believes the kit was designed with #1 at about the 9 o'clock position.

What is the proper orientation of the #1 wire in the cap? I have verified the drive dog is at the 22 position like the workshop manual describes but is could be off 180 degrees I guess.

Doug

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
I just photographed the distributor orientation for my BJ7, I'll post it here if I can find it...

Attachments

• 19521.jpg
    19521.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 240
Country flag
There's no vacuum advance on my car, but my #1 plug is @ 8:45 PM.

I fitted a Mallory dual point distributor, and as such, I had to drill the shaft and install the drive dog, but I tend to make things pretty close.

The distributor angle, looking at the vacuum unit in Johnny's car looks to be correct, but if his drive spindle is 180* out, it would account for his #1 position at 1:28 AM :wink:

Honestly, as long as you adhere to the 1,5,3,6,2,4 firing order (same as my BMWs, incidentally) you can stick the drive spindle/distributor in any way you want; you just have to make sure cylinder #1 TDC matches #1 post on the distributor cap.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Johnny said:
I just photographed the distributor orientation for my BJ7, I'll post it here if I can find it...

Johnny, did you sneak into my garage to take that photo?

Glad to see the photo of my BJ8 cap and numbered wires is helping out others. (Nice touch, whom ever photo shopped the firing order on the cap.)

And in a way, sort of, I'm joining in with the reply....without actually replying....thanks to Johnny.....snap!

Cheers,
Roger

OP
F

fwtexasbj8

Country flag
Johnny and Roger,
Thanks for the photo! That is how my distribtor cap is oriented too. Mine may be off one tooth on the drive dog, but close enough for what I was trying to confirm.

Thanks for the quick reply too!

Country flag
AUSMHLY said:
Johnny said:

<span style="font-weight: bold">Glad to see the photo of my BJ8 cap and numbered wires is helping out others. </span> (Nice touch, whom ever photo shopped the firing order on the cap.)

And in a way, sort of, I'm joining in with the reply....without actually replying....thanks to Johnny.....snap!

Cheers,
Roger
Why is there a hole drilled through your chassis?

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Ha gotcha Roger. Yes, I did use your photo, but it is the sahe as mine except for the numbers, for which I really like.

BTW I've replaced the 90 degree plug connectors they never seemed tight enough for me. I do like the look though with the yellow tags and all.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Randy Forbes said:
AUSMHLY said:
Johnny said:

<span style="font-weight: bold">Glad to see the photo of my BJ8 cap and numbered wires is helping out others. </span> (Nice touch, whom ever photo shopped the firing order on the cap.)

Cheers,
Roger
Why is there a hole drilled through your chassis?

OMG...I can't believe you asked that question. No joke. Here's why I say that.
I just came home from visiting my mechanic and wishing him a Merry Christmas. I asked him to listen to how the motor is running. He takes a look see and asks me.....Why do you have a hole in your frame? What hole I asked. That hole he points out. (Same one you asked about.) I said, I don't know. He said it was probably put there from a frame straightening machine. (Seems my car was in a accident sometime in it's journey.) I find it interesting neither he nor I noticed it before. Yet we did about an hour ago. And here you are asking the same question. Now that's freaky. Or a more positive reply...good eye Randy!
I'll be plugging them tomorrow and painting them.

Country flag
Well, it's a good thing you knew about it then, otherwise you'd have thought I was crazy, and we all know that can't be the case...

:wink: