• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I hate the cold!

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
I hate he cold...

What do you do with yourself when your LBC is all ready to go, but it's too cold out to drive due to salt and dirt on the road.

It's even too cold to tinker around in the garage......\\

I hate the cold!!

TR.jpg

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Agreed! 10 degrees here this morning; it's my day off, and I've got several things to do to the TR8 to get ready for New Orleans next month.

Oh well - maybe next week.

TR4

Jedi Knight
Start with a piping hot Irish Coffee topped with fresh whipped cream and read your favorite classic car magazine for the 50th time.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
My solution was pack up *everything* and move to Florida! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

Only bad bit is we stopped half-way down the state. Central FL is unsaesonably/unreasonably cold right now as well. No road salt tho. Whew.

Harry_Ward

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I feel your pain this last storm very depressing with rocks and salt thrown everywhere. Next week suppose to be close to forty though.

I spend a lot of time here and read about the woes and Triumphs of others and things don't seem so bad.

BTW-You live anywhere near that brush fire the other day? That looked a little scary.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Harry wrote: <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]BTW-You live anywhere near that brush fire the other day? That looked a little scary. [/QUOTE]

Sometimes those fires can shut down the Interstates here. We had no effect from that'n though.

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
This is the first winter in about 8 years that I've been stuck in Wisconsin. I had been driving for a living but my new job is an 8 to 4 deal...and I can even tolerate the cold 'cuz I'm home every night.

I had been running south and southeast all year...kinda sultry in the summer but it's a lot warmer in south Florida or Texas than Wisconsin in February!

But I DID take the plunge a few years ago and put heat in 2/3'rds of my shop...mmmm...toasty!

d564f541.jpg

R6MGS

Yoda
My TR6 is under about an inch of ice(garage roof dipped off on it, and if froze...and surrounded by snowbanks /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif But it's suppose toget alot warmer towards the end of next week...I can't wait, gotta wash some cars!

tomshobby

Yoda
I agree, about the cold.

I have an attached garage and figured a way to warm my garage. It works fairly well except on the coldest days. It does raise the heat bill but at least I have been able to spend some time in my garage.

I opened the door to the garage and placed a window fan in the opening on the floor blowing the cold air into the house. Because of the design of the house I am able to direct it into the basement. I did it this way because it is easy and because cold air settles and is denser and easier to move. I then set the temp a couple degrees higher and turned the furnace fan on. After an hour or so my garage was tolerable, not like the tropics but I could work in it with some comfort.

If you do this you will want your furnace to be in good condition which it should be anyway. I also did not do it for long periods and certainly not overnight.

OP
kodanja

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
the fire was in Milford Ct
Lots of black smoke!

im about 20 mins north, in North Haven

MILFORD — A fast-burning greenhouse fire fueled by peat and plastic sent plumes of dark smoke wafting over the historic and well-known Filanowski Farm in Milford Wednesday afternoon, but the damage wasn’t as bad as it first appeared.

gsalt57tr3

Jedi Warrior
I'm sorry guys, I've been driving to work at 6 am with the top down for the last month for probably 3 out of 4 days. I only don't drive if its raining.

Temperature has ranged form the mid 30s to the mid 40s in the morning to the 60s on the way home.

I feel for you.

jayhawk

Jedi Warrior
Yep-- we've been well below normal ranges all the latter half of January and February.. High temp yesterday was 12 and it was 0 degrees F this morning. I've been trying to do a little work in the (unheated) garage but holding cold tools and working on cold machinery (and sometimes with flashlights) isn't my favorite. 40-50 degrees promised for next week will seem balmy in comparison!

OP
kodanja

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
I would love 40 degrees

Wedsday we got 5" of ice!!!!

Then again I cant break it if I dont drive it!!!!

R6MGS

Yoda
tomshobby said:
I agree, about the cold.

I have an attached garage and figured a way to warm my garage. It works fairly well except on the coldest days. It does raise the heat bill but at least I have been able to spend some time in my garage.

I opened the door to the garage and placed a window fan in the opening on the floor blowing the cold air into the house. Because of the design of the house I am able to direct it into the basement. I did it this way because it is easy and because cold air settles and is denser and easier to move. I then set the temp a couple degrees higher and turned the furnace fan on. After an hour or so my garage was tolerable, not like the tropics but I could work in it with some comfort.

If you do this you will want your furnace to be in good condition which it should be anyway. I also did not do it for long periods and certainly not overnight.

I had the door your refering to moved outsisde so it opens onto the driveway...In the garage I don't have room for it to open, or the steps it requires due to having 4 cars crammed into a 2 car attached garage. The garage is actually so cramped that there is no way I can work in there, so all my work is done in the driveway, or at my parents garage(detached...roughly 4-5 car)....I've got 3 cars in there as well, and with all my parents stuff in there, there is still one free bay to work....but it's a block VERY cold building. So the only work I do in the winter is what has to be done to keep our daily drivers running, all the LBC's are waiting for the spring

gsalt57tr3

Jedi Warrior
This reminds me of a email thread I had with a work friend in Minnesota.

It began with "What do you wear during that kind of weather?"

I was born in California (so I can't claim the wisdom of moving to a state where you can drive your LBC most of the year). I think most of us here don't have an appreciation of what you in the frigid parts of the country go thru.

While I was in the Navy I was in Memphis for a period of time and endured a couple ice storms. Thanks but no thanks.

M

Mike_Bouse

TEN degrees would be welcomed! Like Jayhawk, i woke up this a.m. to zero degrees fahrenheit. And the wind just keeps whipping around.

It has been too cold for the past three weeks in a row for me to be able to heat the garage. That means ole FrankenStein has been ignored like a red-headed step child for that long. And, i have about $200 in parts sitting in the garage waiting to be put on....and some painting to do....and new door panels to install....and carbs to tune....and....

Come on, just 20 degrees, please? I'll never be able to drive ole Frank this spring if I can't get any work done now.

TheAssociate

Jedi Hopeful
Well, generally we're lucky here on the coast - it's usually between 40-50 degrees during the winter. I've been driving the Spit most of the time, but we had some unexpected snow in Nov. and Dec.
IMG]https://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q284/The-Associate/SnowyTriumph.jpg[/IMG]

Adam.