• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A First drive of spring - I hate electricity!!!

jfarris

Jedi Trainee
Gold
Country flag
I had my first drive of 2022 today, that's pretty bad for lower mid south. I spent the winter chasing electrical gremlins in my headlights, turn signals, and dash lights. I know, "real gentlemen don;t drive at night!" Several years ago, I replaced the headlights, brake lights, and turn signals with LEDs. Randall, RIP, provided a schematic to divide the rear lights, brakes, and turn signals and include my original center only brake light - thank you BCF! Turns out, most of my issues were grounds, loose wiring, and broken screw-in receptacles. I got all of that corrected and the turn signal indicator wouldn't work. I needed a new flasher, last one lasted only 1.5 yrs. I finally finished everything and drove the car today - yea! But, the horn doesn't work. How hard can this be, one power source, two horns, and one switch leading to a ground - what the heck was Ben Franklin thinking?
Happy Motoring!

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Yeah, my horn acts up occasionally. My problem is always the bullet connectors behind the left horn. I think they draw too much for those connectors, so they lose the connection. Of course, if you installed a new, repro trafficator, then they always fail when the horn contactor ring comes off. It has to be roughed and epoxied back on permanently.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I don't think you can blame Ben F., but you certainly can blame Lucas. Or, maybe not--these cars are now 50-70 years old, with wiring intended to last maybe 10 years. It's going to require some care to keep it all working.

I have regularly recommended replacing those bullet connectors with something more modern and reliable, and grounds are notoriously unreliable. They must be metal-to-metal, clean and bright. Don't just hope a lockwasher will penetrate the paint layer to create a ground. There are a couple good ground points on the TR4/4A near the fuse block and on the opposite side. They consist of a nut welded to the body. Using them gives you a solid ground through the screw and its threads.

Or, if you must have the originality of bullet connectors, at least install new ones.

OP
jfarris

jfarris

Jedi Trainee
Gold
Country flag
First action, follow the power. How can you have an intermittent fuse? The ohm meter would fluctuate between -0.25 and -0.16, but never go to zero. On one end of the fuse, the metal part would rotate. New fuse, horn works - duh, why have a schematic unless you can read it and use it.
Steve, not sure why I took the original route, but I have a 10 year supply of those bullet connectors and the tools to fiddle with them. Under the hood, those bad boys are really hard to solder onto original wires that were too short to start with.
This forum and you guys and gals are worth our weight in unobtanium.

Leatherman

Country flag
Had to laugh at what CJD said about the repro trafficator. My horn started blowing for no reason shortly after replacing the trafficator and I couldn’t pull over right away. By the time I got off the road and raised the hood and pulled the wires off the horns they were smoking, the left one‘s contacts were badly burnt and I had to file them and adjust to get it working again. As he said the brass ring on the underside of the horn button came loose dropping on the contact. A little JB Weld and it was permanently fixed as it should have been.

Jim_Stevens

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Having a similar issue here. Horn went off today for no reason, and I had to bang on the button to get it to stop, only to have it come back on. All the while I was driving past the golf course and my wife’s foursome! Oh, brother!

Jim_Stevens

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Just to follow up, the issue on mine was the copper washer had become unglued from the plastic housing, so was able to make contact with the two brushes, sounding the horn. Just waiting for the epoxy to cure now so I can reinstall it. I’m becoming quite an expert on Trafficators!

Attachments

• 431FA0A8-E725-4431-8DC4-9FED2A856365.jpeg
    431FA0A8-E725-4431-8DC4-9FED2A856365.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 65

Jim_Stevens

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Ahhhh, just reread this thread, and John had the same solution a month ago. Not surprised!