• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

You know what I hate

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
ebay sellers that want a check rather than Paypal. Gota love paypal, easy and fast.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Jack - I don't do eBay sales for 1 reason: I can't interact with people! I could make a lot more money, but couldn't get to know folks

...& I agree: whichever is easiest for sellers...I even tried plastic for a bit - that's pure h---!

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well I am not a great big fan of ebay but have gotten a few very needed items from them. Stuff that is just not available other than a parts car. I watch prices very close and make darn sure I am not overpaying like 65 bucks for 4 Bugeye wheels delivered. What a deal. But got to really pay attention, folks think stuff is RARE. Hehe.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Rare - or expensive...hehehe

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
They seem to think stamping an item RARE allows them to put a big price on it. Guess it is ok if it works.

I'm sure it does sometimes.

I think I'll list a rare carboard box soon.

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I got some RARE old grease from the underside of a Bugeye. $20.00 opening, $50.00 reserve. Pic provided upon request.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Both would probably sell - especially if you listed the box as a "rare reproduction of the one in the Toy Hall of Fame" & the grease as "factory original"

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
At least when you deal with honest people like Tony,
you get someone who'll make it right,if it's an honest mistake (like not for the right car,etc.).
On eBay,you're not even sure it's for the right car sometimes,& there's usually no recoarse if there's a problem ( I know there are also honest people on eBay,
but there a lot of the other types,as well).

- Doug

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Oh yea "factory original" of course. Maybe we can put the grease in your box Kenny and really soak em.

I've actually sold a empty cardboard box before on ebay. As a joke. I got $1.75 and $2 for shipping. Some people will buy anything!

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I have used ebay for about 6 or 7 years until I found out that there are lists like these where people actually like to help people. Couple stories.
On the BBS there was a question I posted about the screws that hold the ignition switch into place on my TD. They were shot. Someone replied and offerd me a set. As payment if he was in NY I'd have to buy him a pint. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif He was in Denmark. I was amazed.
Two notables on eBay over the years:
1 - Original jack for a 1972 Midget - $300
1 - Lucas sealed beam headlight for the Midget - $125
That's the reason I picked up the 69 Sprite a few years ago for $100. It had a Lucas headlight in it. I figured someone else out there needs a light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif All kidding aside, I kept the headlight and still have a lot of parts.

Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Some people will buy anything!

[/ QUOTE ]

A recent TV programme here used e-bay as a test and sold old rope- there's a saying here in the UK: "...like getting money for old rope", meaning something valueless.

Of course you could adveritze your grease as being "rust-free", that ought to make it worth a few bucks more.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

zimmy

Jedi Knight
whats a check? ... i take paypal at crusherx cox net!
i promise to spend ALL contributions on my midget! ; )
anyone got an old rope I can sell?! ha....zimmy

adam70

Jedi Hopeful
my wife doesn't work, but she makes about $600-800 a month selling mens shirts (polo, izod, ralph lauren, etc...) we are planning to have a child, and so far, we have 99% of what it takes to raise a kid (minus diapers/food) for about the first 5 years of their lives. our wedding would have cost almost 20 grand, but by getting most of our stuff on e-bay, it only cost in the ballpark, of 8K and I'm starting to sell my old comic books to get some scratch to put back into the midget. Ebay is a wonderful tool, but the only reason I can think that somebody doesn't want paypal, is because they don't have a checking account, or they are trying to scam you. we get one everycouple of months with a bad check, but for the most part my wife only accepts paypal, and postal money orders, and cashiers checks.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I've never had any problems with paypal - in all the years I've been 'theAutoist' I've only been burned once with a personal check...my biggest problem is Canadian checks that aren't covered by a US bank - our banks here don't want to take them...so, I just tell all my folks to use a Canadian bank that has ties to a US bank