• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I hate when this happens

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
My son and I were looking for the rubber shift boot for the GT6 this weekend in a pile of stuff.

I remember seeing an extra boot in the garage at some point this year and now I need one for the GT6.

So my son went into the attic were we have lots of old parts and looked. He didn't find it so then I looked. I didn't find it either.

So my son started bring down all the parts in the boxes and took all Saturday to sort through them all and orginize into new plastic tubs. I then helped him on Sunday and we finally finished getting all the parts into some form of catigorization and new see through tubs.

2 days of work still didn't find the rubber boot. We now know were all the parts are but the one.

I guess I must be suffering from CRS. (can't remember )

I just hate when stuff like that happens. But the garage is clean.

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I ordered lots of parts in lots of little (some bigger) orders from lots of different suppliers -- many, well in advance of the day they'd be needed. When I was reassembling the motor, I couldn't find the oil pump pickup/screen that I KNEW was around somewhere. Looked everywhere -- no part to be found. I found the receipt for it, but not the part. I found the other things that came in the box with it, but not the part.

Finally had to order another one, and you know what? I STILL have never found that thing. It fell clean off the face of the Earth. I KNOW I never removed it from the garage -- and my garage is not that big. I've thoroughly cleaned the garage a couple of times since then, always thinking I'll find it in some corner, under something -- but it ain't happened yet.

I'm glad to hear all the parts are sorted, inventoried and properly stored now. Sorry about the shift boot, but I know several places where one can be purchased...

JKB1957

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Whenever I have a part that I just can not afford to lose, I always put it in a safe place. I currently have many important parts that I cannot find, but they are all in a safe place. As a consolation I now know my VISA card number by heart.

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Often for me, the way to find the missing part is to order a new one. I noticed too, that we ordered parts in advance of the time they're needed for one car, then used it on the other car to keep it on the road... Months later we've forgotten about the "emergency," and wonder what happened to the part we ordered. T.T.

PeterK

Yoda
That oil screen is one of those things that is a bit fragile and you wouldn't want to crush. SO maybe you moved it to a safe(r) place. Mine is shiny new copper, came in a white box, and when I lost mine (I really did) I found that I had already attached it to the oil pump.

OP
T

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
I am glad to know that there are others who can't find stuff or can't remember were they put it. I am sure I will find it someday. Like Trevor said I will order a new one and it will show up right after I put the new one on the car.

The other thing I seem to loose as well are tools. That is another story.

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I used to work in a place that had a tool room. Unlike many such places we had no tool room quartermaster. One walked in and got what one needed oneself. Over the door was printed, in large lettering, "The Portal of Forgetfulness." Many happy hours were spent in there trying to remember what it was that I had gone in to get. This, by the way, is much less embarrassing than playing twenty questions with the tool room guy, in an attempt to remember the object of one's quest.

D

DougF

On my recent engine/transmission rebuild, there were three items I COULD NOT FIND. Two I purchased new and one I was fortunate enough to borrow. Shortly afterwards, in each instance, I found each original part.
Good luck!!

Country flag
The socks did it! Find your missing socks - you know what I'm talking about - and you'll find those missing parts!! :jester:

Reh

I just got done cleaning my rubber shift boot, and repainting the metal ring that holds it down for my GT6+ this weekend.
Quite the coincidence

PATR8

Jedi Knight
I even forget what funny story I was going to write here. Samething happened with my clutch master cylinder last week, one went bad, ordered a new one only to remember I had a mostly new one sittin on my shelf and a rebuild kit right next to it

go_inbroke

Had drained the oil and replaced the filter...reached for the drain plug and...not there. Looked for 30 mins and could not find it. Went to the parts store and found a replacement to fit. Got back into the garage, squatted down next to the car using the jack stand as a handhold, and of course, on top of the stand, under my hand was the plug...

Didn't know whether to be happy or angry