• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wedge Why do people hate TR7s?

Mark Jones

Jedi Warrior
My son would like to have a father/son car project, a car to restore over the next year, to become his first car and has decided that he wants a FHC TR7. He wants a FHC because it is more practical for winter use; makes sense.

So for the past week I have been searching out cars to see and calling different people to ask about their cars and asking club members if they know someone who has a wedge they want to part with. Well, so many people say "no, not a wedge, they're awful".

Why do people hate the TR7 so much? Is it just the looks? Are there other deep down problems with a TR7? Does it have worse problems than other lbc?

TR4

Jedi Knight
If you can find a rust free car, I would think the 7 would ba a really nice project. They did have a reputation for rusting quickly if not properly cared for. They don't have a lot of power nor classic looks so that may be why they don't have the appeal that other collector cars have. It's all about what you and you son like. Don't worry about what others think.

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
I agree with TR4, it's all about what you and your son would like, not what others like! When they first came out I was not impressed with them but thats because they did not have what I would call the tradidional look of the British sports car. Today I see them as a very comfortable touring car and a distinctive, attractive British sports car.

Tinkerman

D

DougF

There were Q/C problems at the beginning due to labor issues, etc. Though wedges are considered by many as the best performing of the lot.
Triumph people hated them for the non-traditional looks, and many MG people hated them because B/L selected it as the car of the future instead of one of their own.
I personally don't understand them regularly getting voted as one of the all time ugliest British cars. Half of the cars manufactured in the '80s looked like them.
Take caution in the car you purchase. Coupes are the least expensive to purchase and won't carry a big resale. Buy the best so you won't be throwing a lot of money at it later.

G

Err because secretly they all want an 8?

Seriously DougF hit it on the head. Poor QC and a radical departure from the traditional shape is why they weren't accepted as well as the older TRs.

If you can stretch to an 8 coupe (rare) then you will preserve some resale. If not then the 7 engine is quite tunable.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Waxing philosophically, all hatred stems from ignorance.

Practically speaking, 'cause they don't know any better.

Oh, wait! That's the SAME! :jester:

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
I think people are start to appreciate the TR7 for what it is - a much more modern but still fun car that suffered from lousy quality control when new.

If I had to pick one TR for a DAILY driver (and couldn't have a TR8) a sorted out TR7 would be on the top of the list.

The car magazines in the UK have seemed to change their tune on the TR& recently, much more favorable press, and I think we could see values firm up a bit for good ones.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Mark -

Grab a copy of the new (July) <span style="font-style: italic"> Classic Motorsports </span> magazine. Great articles on the Wedges.

https://classicmotorsports.net/

I notice you have a BGT and a Spitfire. I think you'll find the TR7 fits nicely with those, and predict you and your son will be pleasantly surprised.

:cheers:
Mickey

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Oh, and one other thing (and I promise I'll quit after this!): Initial cash outlay will be much lower, since so many people hate 'em! :wink:

D

DougF

The TR4 suffered for years in value for probably some of the same reasons. There are some people who feel the TR series ended after the side curtain cars.
TR4s didn't really start picking up in value or in numbers at car shows until 10-15 years ago. TRA didn't start "recognizing" them until a few years ago.
Maybe we were a bunch of curmudgeons.

tomshobby

Yoda
I remember the day I went into my dealer's showroom and realized they quit making Triumphs and now had those wedgie things. How dare they take the place of the sport car line. That was how I felt and I never went back.
Still don't care for them but you need to get what you like the same as I do.
Wish you good times with your 7!

G

My wife always called it a "chicks car". She had 2 of them. Very safe cars though. She completely destroyed a Dodge Omni one time and drove the 7 home.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I always though it would be fun to get one and remove that "swoosh" from the side of the car.....I think they'd look better without it.

But they are a decent car to drive and actually pretty roomy.

A big problem with them was blown head gaskets and warped heads (and removing the head could be tough due to the angled head studs). If you look at one, check the oil and make sure it doesn't look "foamy" after a running (indicating blown head gasket due to water in the oil).

And as others have said, watch the rust.

G'luck!

PeterK

Yoda
Let's see... my reasons are:

1)Plaid interior jusat killed it from the get-go for me. But looks great if you wear white slip on shoes and plaid slacks. No offense if that's what you're wearing right now.

2)Plasticy looking interior just wreaks quality. But not IMO.

3)And "the shape of things to come" - glad it wasn't.

4)Looks ... like a Fiat X1/9 which was probably a better handling car and I liked much better.

They could be great cars but I never could get past the body style. I always thought of them as a mistake and the downfall of TR.

Guess you either love 'em or hate 'em.

Hey, back them I was driving a 911.

But most of all a TR6 was a hard act to follow.

Lou Metelko

Jedi Trainee
What is amazing is to look at the sheer numbers of TR7s built. According to production reports there were 112,375 built between 1-75 and 10-81 yet a good 7 is virtually impossible to find for sale. Most were sold based on the reputation of the models before it but reliability and the rust put most of the 7s in the grave well ahead of its time.
Many, myself included, blame the TR7 for the demise of the grand old name.

For the numbers freak the production breakdown is:
83,572 Sidescreen cars
80,149 TR4 and derivatives
91,850 TR6 bodies
115,090 Wedges

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana

OP
Mark Jones

Mark Jones

Jedi Warrior
Thank guys for the comments.

I've driven a TR7 once and really enjoyed it, it had a comfy interior and handled well.

My son has been helping with with the restoration of my Spitfire over the winter and I guess he found it fun enough to want to tackle a rolling restoration, kind of what I did with my MGBGT. We started talking about other British cars one day and I told him about the TR7, showed him a picture and that was that, he wants one.

I'm positive that the TR7 is growing in popularity, its the last "cheap" British sportscar. I agree if we take out time and search for one with a good body we'll do okay.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Mark - one other point. Since this will be for your son the safety standards on a TR7 are probably a nice plus vs earlier Triumphs.

bcbennett

Mark, I used a '79 TR7 as a daily driver for a few years in the late '90s, and I loved it like no other car. It never, ever left me stranded, and I drove it long distances, too, at 33 mpg. Moreover, I disagree with one poster above who said it lacked power; I often got mine over 100 mph with room to spare, and it handled beautifully, esp. after I had the front suspension rebuilt. I absolutely loved that car, and constantly am on the lookout for another to accompany my TR6.

BTW, the only reason I sold it (d'oh!) was because I was in graduate school and the water pump failed. It's on the back of the engine, and is a difficult fix for a guy living in a cheap apartment complex eating beans and rice. Would love to have it back!

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
When they were new, I could not afford one. So I started to hate them to feel better. It didn't work. I would really, realy like an 8.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Lou Metelko said:
Many, myself included, blame the TR7 for the demise of the grand old name.

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana

Nope - quite the reverse, as stated earlier. BMC/Leyland/Whatever you want to call it was in deep trouble already. The Wedges never really had a chance. The factory at Speke, where the TR7's were first built, was turning out some deplorable cars, due to labor/management problems, so the move was made to Canley. The irony is that they were finally getting it right when the plug was pulled.

Look at the sales numbers! TR6's were from, what, '69-'76? Eight years, right? Wedges were from '75 to '81, with a lapse in production due to the factory move. Seven years at best, and 20,000+ more produced.

What many don't realize is that the TR7 was almost an MG! Wonder what that would have done...

OOPS - I said I wasn't going to say any more, didn't I? :blush: