• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Why I hate Little British Cars.....

G

Several months ago I discovered that I had let moisture sit on my floorboards too long over the summer and ended up with a major rust problem on my previously-rust-free-roadster. Well, smart me, I completely stripped the metal and all visible rust, then coated the whole surface with an epoxy coating material from PPG, used on offshore oil rigs. Worked great, for three months. Whilst prepping my little baby for next weeks show, I found that my magic coating completely lifted off the metal! P****d is not the word. Spent all day Saturday digging the stuff off and recoating with Eastwood's Rust Coating. Till I get the nerve to have someone TIG some new floorboards in for me. I can MIG but don't like the mess I will make. Better to have a pro. The stuff I used is similar to POR-15. And this is what we do for fun? So if any of you come to the New Orleans car show next Saturday, don't look under my carpet. There will probably be some choice four letter words written on the floorboard.

Bill

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I agree. Sometimes I spend days working on a car project. I get skinned knuckles, sore muscles, and begin to think there is some dark entity lurking inside the car. Then, somehow the thing works... the funny sound is gone, the lights work, there is no miss and the engine is making the great sound as I shift flawlessly through the gears. Then,I think this IS a great hobby! In chemical dependency counseling that is called "euphoric recall." Go figure. T.T.

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Hey, I can relate. See my post in the forum about how my carb mounts failed again (for the third time) on my TR7 and I haven't even driven the thing since they failed the first time!

BOXoROCKS

Jedi Knight
I feel you pain...REALLY. I was starting to think I was the only curmudgeon on this forum. By the way depending on thier shape, I would give a long hard think before I cut them out an welded new in, when I see a car advertised as having new floors , I get a little wary.

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
If it would make you feel better I could loan you my 77 Lancia Beta for awhile. You will feel a lot better about your TR very quickly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
In my 79 spit, the one I drive often, or did untill the multiple head gaskets blew, I pulled all the carpet out just so the water would drain if it got wet inside. I have never had a rust problem with it. If only I could say the same for the engine. It looks like I am going to be pulling the motor and decking my block, turns out I have a warp between number one and the water jacket. Fun fun. I love LBCs.

Mark_Gibson

Jedi Trainee
My favorite is the rear hub on my 70 TR-6 letting go and having the right rear wheel fall off...luckily I was going only 10 mph when it happened. Gotta love these cars!

Mark

UltimateQuestion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
If it would make you feel better I could loan you my 77 Lancia Beta for awhile. You will feel a lot better about your TR very quickly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I know what you mean. I had an '85 Alfa Romeo GTV6 for a few years and it was much less reliable than my GT6.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
By the way, that Eastwood stuff is supposed to be BETTER then POR-15. I'm using it on my TR3 resto. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

UltimateQuestion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Yeah, pretty funny and they are/were almost the same color - The Triumph is Damson and the Alfa was metallic maroon. The Triumph made the Alfa look BIG when I parked them together! I bought the GT6 first and I like it more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

R6MGS

Yoda
Lol Mark....same thing happened to my dad's old Spitfire....except he was coming down a hill in the middle of a snow storm!...car skidded down the hill, across the sidewalk and onto some poor guys lawn...He left the car there and walked to work.