• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I hate waiting

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Wiring harness is due in on Monday. Moss order was placed with Tony yesterday. Car is stripped down and ready for new parts. I've got a weekend with some free time and no car projects to do.

I hate waiting! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

-Drew

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Haha, get out the 409, armor all, and all that good stuff.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'm so focused on the fixing, I hadn't thought of the cleaning. Seats could use it, windshield, ...

Mostly, I just want to be driving. It's going to be 60F here today, but will be snowing again by Sunday. Patience...

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well to uphold the immage of the Bugeye folks it has to look its best.

New windsheld wipers. Now there's a job for the ages, hehe.

Chrome always needs polished as well.

G

If it makes you feel better - I waited 3 months for pistons.
I hated every second....

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I've only had the car for 2 weeks, so I shouldn't complain, but we're getting into that Spring transition period, where it's reasonably warm enough to start driving. I haven't done the real first drive yet, just putted around the block. It doesn't quite feel like a real car yet, just a project.

I know I'm whining here, but hey, if you can't whine to your friends, what can you do? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

G

I know. I know. I know.
Mine is still in pieces in the machine shop.
I'm not the most patient chap in the world either, so I feel your pain.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I think I can see why folks wind up with multiple LBCs in the fleet. Take one off the road for a restoration, so pick up another car "just to tide you over." Then you decide to restore that one (just a quick job, mind you, tidy up a few things), so it's time to add a third. Next thing you know, your house looks like a used car lot.

Scariest thing is that I could imagine myself going down this path in a few years. If the Tunebug really turns into a keeper, it will need to be restored some day. Maybe I'll have to budget a "temporary" car into the restoration costs...

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And you think you have a wait, look at mine.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I know, I know. I'm being a bit silly, considering that I'm really only 2 weeks or so away from done. I've just still never driven a Bugeye for more than 10 minutes at a time.

I'm impressed by the big projects you folks are doing, and watching closely so I will remember when I decide to take the Tunebug off the road in a few years to do a restore. That will be in a far distant future, I think!

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Wait, you can drive I Bugeye for more than 10 minutes at a time?

Oh....must be just mine that I can't drive for more than 10 minutes at a time.

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
She'll crusin around in the warm weather,

least that what I keep thinking when I get discouraged.

Or I go out and buy more parts like I did today.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Wait, you can drive a Bugeye for more than 10 minutes at a time?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really wouldn't know. I certainly hope so!

Bugeye58

Yoda
Drew, fear not. You can drive a Bugeye for much longer than 10 minutes at a stretch.
Take the opportunity to tidy things up. Lube the seat tracks, for instance. Grease the chassis points. Change the oil, trans, and diff lube. Adjust and bleed the brakes. Check the handbrake for proper operation. Don't forget the grease fitting on the cable. Pull the dimmer switch, and clean it. That one can be a frustrating failure on a dark mountain road. Make sure the choke and starter cables are lubed and move freely. Tach and speedo cable cleaning and lubrication.
I think you get the idea.
Now is the time to be doing the simple, preventative maintenance chores that so often get neglected, or postponed, in our zeal just to drive the thing.
Jeff

zimmy

Jedi Knight
installed my clutch parts today....
after i find a foot for bleeding it
i just might get to go around the
block for the first time tomorrow!!!....
to see what needs fixed next! haha...
almost there...........zimmy

Country flag
Yes, sometimes I skip some routine maintenance because I'd rather be driving or adding a flashy bit. So... I have to make rules like: You can not install that shiny new steering wheel until you replace the rear brakes and do the spring lube job.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Take the opportunity to tidy things up.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right, of course, Jeff. I'm so focused on getting the wiring done that I'm not even really thinking about all the other bits and pieces I could be doing. I really should look over the brakes just to be sure. I've never bled auto brakes before (just motorcycle ones) but I'm sure I can figure that out, and my wife is willing as long as it's not too cold in the garage.

Did get the horn push to work tonight, though. I was sitting in the car (yes, making little vroom vroom noises /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) and thought I should look it over. Got all the contacts cleaned up, and it now makes a good ground when the switch is pressed. Also cleaned up some of the switches I removed from the car.

I hesitate to even ask, but should I find some DOT 4 for the brakes? I don't know what fluid is in the car, but I'm assuming it was not switched to Silicone. Don't know, though.

-Drew

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
just might get to go around the
block for the first time tomorrow!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Good on you, Zimmy. That's what we like to hear, progress. Hope you get to enjoy that ride.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Drew, here's a thought. Go buy a quart of DOT 4 fluid, plus a pint. Bleed the rear brakes using half of the quart. Then do the fronts. Using the pint, do the same to the clutch. Now, you not only have purged the entire hydraulic system of the old, water contaminated fluid, you know you have the right stuff in there, as well as knowing when it was changed.
See how easy it is?
That reminds me, I only have about a month before driving season begins here, so I really <u>should</u> rebuild the calipers on the '72. But, the leaky one did stop after about 500 miles last year, so maybe it fixed itself.
On the other hand................................... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Jeff

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The more PM you do the less breakdowns you will have if any.