• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Darn-it! I hate trim work!

Bret

Yoda
Ok I’ve been beating my head against the wall this afternoon trying (in vain) to install a new trim cockpit surround cover. Removal meant that the top had to come off of course along with the two rear side panels. Pulled off the surround and pulled off the old cover to be replaced. Cleaned the cockpit surround metal piece to remove the old sticky stuff and then cleaned it in preparation for the new cover. So far so good.

Well the problems all started when I tried to attach the new cover. I’d sprayed a light coat of adhesive on both the alloy surround and the new cover and let it tack up for about ten minutes. Well in trying to mount the cover one needs something like six hands with about 7 fingers per hand. AGHHH! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Anyway after struggling to mount it I discovered that I’d misaligned the whole setup and had to start over. Of course removal of the cockpit surround meant I’d have to re-adjust the cover again. AUGH! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif I swear I could just spit tacks right now I’m so mad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Anyway I’m taking a break right now and drinking a beer. Now the new vinyl cover survived removal so it shouldn’t be a problem re-using it. I’m just not looking forward to starting all over again. So I’m wondering if I should just save myself some grief & heartache and just clean the darn thing and either leave it with the brushed aluminum finish or paint it flat black.

Thoughts?

jerryrosa

Jedi Trainee
Hiya Bret,

I can feel your frustration,...sorry for you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I used vinyl carpet adhesive (for the home) for that installation,..you brush it on to both parts, let it dry a bit (just like the spray stuff),..but it is repositionable /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Home Depot,..$2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cheers,

Jerry

BCruzn

Jedi Hopeful
Bret, I used 3M adheasive. I did a small section at a time. Don't get in a hurry. It even crossed my mind to just spray paint and be done with it. Lots of Luck Bud. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

Thoughts?

have a few more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif Pints /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif, and i think brushed aluminium looks great!

i feel for ya. I myself am much better at the stuff that makes it run and stop, than i am at the things that make it look pretty.

mark

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
I resisted the notion to paint it. But because it’s too cold right now to try to re-apply the adhesive, I decided to call it quits for now. Cleaned the whole thing up & just put it all back together.

And yes Mark it looks pretty good but I'll have to think about whether I will keep it like that or not.

Cheers.