• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

cracked exhaust manifold

Ulf

I am still in the works of trying to get my '77 Midget (1500 engine) through CA smog and when trying to find all kinds of leaks etc I find out the exhaust manifold is cracked almost all around.
What should I do?
Is it weldable or fixable or do I have to try and find a replacement?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
It is weldable but best bet would be to find a good one. Ask for one here or ask Tony.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
This is very common on 1500 cars. Both of mine were cracked. I think the super-hot catalyst below the manifold is the cause.

I am not sure if you will have any luck welding. You can weld cast iron, but in this circumstance, it may soon crack again. Brazing might work better, but there's no guarantee. Many of us have fitted headers but I realize that may not be an option for you.

OP
U

Ulf

Nahh I have no option that would change the original look or function of the engine.

I gathered that welding or brazing could be an option, but as you say Nial, it seems like a stop gap measure, so off I am to look for a non cracked exhaust manifold. That might not be that easy since it has to be one for the 77-80 (with the catalytic can) and as you said it seems the hot can helps crack them at a rapid pace. I know that moss and VB sell new ones but they are like $450 and that does feel a wee steep.

/quick rant on...
It makes no sense to me that it not only has to get through smog (logical) but has to look and work in a fashion that was flawed over thirty years ago, and can in no way be equal or better than newer solutions.
quick rant off/

Morris

Yoda
I do not live in California, but I cannot agree more with your rant. If CARB would amend their rules to allow improvements to cars as long as exhaust tests meet or exceed standards set for the specific year the car was made, the net effect would be an overall reduction in air pollution. CARB has done some great things for the air quality of the whole country, but they're attitude towards old cars is backwards and stupid IMHO.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Small question will anyone at the smog place know what it is to look like? I bet not. Shoot, I bet they don't even know what kind of car it is.

R

RonMacPherson

CARB used to have in place a "waiver" system. Where the cost of repair, or unobtainium parts would get you a waiver. Might wanna check on the CARB website, see if they still have it available.

A concern though is exhaust leak, you do wanna get it replaced to avoid any possibility of exhaust inhalation for safety purposes.

Have you checked with any of the header folks, or someone like Pierce Manifolds, to see what they have that might help you out?

OP
U

Ulf

Jack, they found the crack, and they know enough to either look up in a book what it should look like, or actually have seen one before.

I tried to get a wavier due to fact that dealers like VB and moss (or any other who lists on the internet) dont sell working EGR valves etc. I got a number to a "hot line" where they dug up people who custom make the parts. So an EGR valve for a Midget is a low $175 etc etc....

Every one I know tells me to ditch this '77 Midget and get an older one ('75 or older who are smog exempt), that is until they realize the Midget I have is my Mentors old car he put in his will to me, so it is to be smoged... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I'm bad.

Fix crack, take it somewhere else for check.

OP
U

Ulf

Thought about cosmetically fixing the manifold and going to a new place. Would give me a two year window to fix it properly.

No exhaust manifold on his list, but I sent an email... Thanks for the link though... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

tosoutherncars

Jedi Knight
Hi Ulf,

I've got a Cali 1500, and I've just installed headers. No problem here in Canada, we're sensible that way! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I'll double-check to make sure it's not cracked... you're welcome to it, if you'd like.

Best,
Duncan

George Zeck

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Just received the 1275 version today from ebay -- will post over the weekend.

George

Morris

Yoda
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]No exhaust manifold on his list, but I sent an email... Thanks for the link though...[/QUOTE]

That guy does not answer email. You will have to give him a call. And if you scroll down, you will see that he does list manifolds: $75-$150. Guess which one is $150 /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I hope Duncan can hook you up.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I've got an extra - even has the can if Duncan's doesn't work out - price of shipping - I'll check & see if it's OK

OP
U

Ulf

Thanks JP. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Morris, I did miss the line on his site. If the "canada connection" does not work out I think I will give that place a call.