• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Piston is cracked

brett

I am really looking forward to getting my engine back together!!

Another hurdle popped up, everyone is on it and is helping out as expected.

This post is edited again to remove details.

262012070_P96EY-XL.jpg

262011975_ETZ6C-XL.jpg

Question, were these pistons cold pressed on, if so that may be the problem, that method puts way too much pressure on the piston if you ask me, cold pressing is a crap shoot at best. However if these pstons were installed by heating the rod, then practically no pressure is put on the piston. They don't looked to be install with a rod heater by looking at the picture, thats why I brought this up.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Brett - to (supplier), you're not their customer...they didn't sell you the piston....they really don't know your situation or when you purchased the piston...so they can't be faulted.....

I agree with Hap - looks like your beef isn't with (supplier) or your parts supplier but with your machine shop!

...however, regardless of whether or not its the fault of the supplier or the machine shop who mounted it incorrectly, your dealer should've had a piston on the way to you right away or at least to meet your schedule until you can get to the bottom of the issue.

When one of my customers has a problem with a part, I solve it...sometimes its simply putting the customer in touch with my supplier (once I've done that, they help him), sometimes its getting another part & sometimes its just refunding the customer's money - whatever he wants.....but, if there's another shop involved, I expect my customer to solve the problem & then do right by me because I solved his problem.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Brett - this is a good discussion to have in generic terms - what to do when you have a problem and there is a supplier, a distributor and a machine shop all involved. However, just to remind all of the rules that all are asked to agree to when they register, rule #6 states:

"<span style="font-weight: bold">6.</span> <span style="color: #3333FF">No vendor bashing! If you have a problem with a vendor (whether supporting or otherwise), take it up with the vendor. Don't use this forum for registering complaints about any vendor or business.</span>" (YOu can view the forum rules in total from the Forum Rules link on the "Help & Information" box on the left - you can find it on the Portal Page if you have boxes turned off in our profile.

As stated, this rule applies to any vendor, whether they are a supporting vendor or not. There are a number of reasons for this rule. First, there are always two sides to any story, but once the allegations are made that a company is the bad guy, they are out there and they WILL hurt that business - and people only see one side of the issue; nonetheless, the business is hurt. <span style="color: #009900">For what its worth, I have done business with the supplier in question for many years and never had a single problem with them and always found them to be polite and helpful.</span> I'm not saying your description of events is not accurate, the fact is I really have no way to refute it. I'm just telling you my experience with that vendor has always been positive and reminding folks that we only know ONE side of the story.

In your situation, you did not buy the piston directly from the supplier, you went through a distributor and it is up to him to make it right - if in fact it is a problem of a bad part and not a problem brought about by a bad installation. But as Hap points out, it may well have been an issue with the machine shop's method of installation.

There are too many variables and there are always two sides to every such story. Thus, I prefer people not use the forum to specifically air their issue with a specific by-name vendor.

This is a good discussion to have generically, which is why I'm leaving the thread but have removed the references to the specific vendor.

OP
B

brett

They were installed with the rod being heated.

No big deal, it'll be taken care of by the distributor and the supplier and the manufacturer.

Basil thanks for your corrections above.

I let my frustrations air publicly which was stupid.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
But, still a timely post...right now I'm having a set of pistons put on the rods...I need to stop by my machine shop to make sure they don't do it cold!

OP
B

brett

I want to drive my GT!

I think suspension is next. Brakes will be all new with the new engine and overdrive so I should have more stopping power to compensate for the increased HP and torque with this motor.

British Cars, gotta love 'em even though they give you reasons to hate them.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Thanks for your understanding Brett. Your post was fine as long as we don't get specific. I know these things can be frustrating, especially when we want drive our danged cars...been there.
Basil