• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A caliper piston stuck

tomnanney

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Anyone have a good way to free a stuck caliper piston? The caliper is off the car. One came out easily with compressed air , but the other one won't budge!
Thanks
tom

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
If you reinsert the removed piston and clamp in place you should be able to apply some serious pressure to the opposite side. Some possible source of the pressure:

Air -- easiest but possibly least effective.

Hydraulics -- reconnecting to the car's brake line and using the pedal, a lot of pressure but may be impractical if much of the rest of the system has been removed or is non-op.

Grease Gun -- never had to resort to this myself but some have adapted a grease gun fitting to the caliper inlet and pumped grease forcing the piston out. Messy but at this point that is possibly not a concern.

Whatever you do - keep fingers and other parts out of the way.

trglory

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Having one out gives you the extra room you need. Press the stuck caliper back in with a C-clamp and a socket. If it is cocked, press first at the high point.

Joe

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I saw this on the Moss Motoring blog recently:

https://www.mossmotoring.com/frozen-brake-caliper/

Pretty slick idea, basically block of the hydraulic connection on the caliper, fill with fluid, then use a clamp to press the free piston in, which will force the stuck piston out.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Grease gun worked fine for me. As Geo says, messy, but effective!

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
A bicycle foot pump got mine with the other piston held in the caliper by a board and 2 C clamps to the workbench.
Not messy but to clamp it on the bleed valve had to cut the end of the hose off.

OP
T

tomnanney

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
A bicycle foot pump got mine with the other piston held in the caliper by a board and 2 C clamps to the workbench.
Not messy but to clamp it on the bleed valve had to cut the end of the hose off.

thank for all the posts. I put the other piston back in and clamped it down. Used compressed air and the other one came out! Now the rebuild starts!
tom

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
If I remember correct, I took one of those zerk fittings offthe lower wishbone because the threads are not cut on a taper like most zerkfittings and somehow hillbillyed that on a grease gun then plugged the other side with a piston and itcame right out.

dklawson

Yoda
I saw this on the Moss Motoring blog recently:
https://www.mossmotoring.com/frozen-brake-caliper/
Pretty slick idea, basically block of the hydraulic connection on the caliper, fill with fluid, then use a clamp to press the free piston in, which will force the stuck piston out.

I REALLY like that idea. I have known people to use the grease gun method before but that seems like it would need an awful lot of chemical cleaning later. Closing the caliper off and using the trapped brake fluid sounds so much neater. However, I hope I don't have to try this anytime soon!

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag