• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Cracked and leaky

MCNX_BFF

Hiya, Everyone!
Let's start with Spidey's good news...The Retrosound has been installed, all LEDs have been put into the instrument cluster (what a difference, BTW), speedo/odometer should be sorted out. :banana:

The not so good? Uff :frown:. Spidey, apparently has had a leak in the exhaust that we finally decided to get to. It seems that upon closer inspection, the exhaust manifold is actually cracked and was barely held together by a few threads of a bolt and the Grace of God.

I will begin my hunt for a replacement here. If anyone has an exhaust manifold for this car and you are willing to part with it, please drop me a line. Secondly, if you know of a business that may have these, I would appreciate a holler as I don't believe they are available with our Big Name Companies on this side of the pond. Thanks to you all! Oh! Spidey is a 1980 TR7 Spider with carbs. That's probably important. :wink:
--Monica

OP
MCNX_BFF

MCNX_BFF

Oh, in case anyone was thinking it....I suppose I could see if the exhaust manifold on Beastie could be used. In my heart that just feels wrong though as he was not intended to be a parts car. Gulp. let's hope I don't hafta do that! Headlocks and noogies if you thought it.
grin.gif

ObiRichKanobi

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Your buddy Charles lists them. Might be worth a phone call to see if he actually has them. Might also check with Brad @ Wedgeparts. He had a fleet of part cars at one time.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Monica, you could try TR8Todd. He has a lot of spare parts for these floating around in his inventory.

D

DougF

And yet another option for a used one would be Scott Harper at Team Triumph in Warren OH. (330)392-7176

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Cracked and leaky - I thought you were referring to some of us! :jester:

Plenty of spares around. I'm sure you'll find a replacement.

OP
MCNX_BFF

MCNX_BFF

Thanks, Guys! I am so grateful for your responses and resource info.
I called a few of these with no luck and was about to call another when I received a phone call from a Wedgie friend I met in Nevada. He has one--I think! :shocked: Bolty areas/flanges are not cracked or hogged out, no evident heat or stress fractures, etc. The part # on it is RKC 0072 V330705. I looked up exhaust manifold in my handy dandy Rimmers Catalogue and it is listed as RKC 72 (R for refurbished). I am thinking this is the same thing...is it? :confuse: I am hoping.

May the LBC deities smile upon me today.... please, oh Puh-leeze be the right one. Do you think it is?
--Monica

ObiRichKanobi

Jedi Knight
Country flag
If it's off a 7 it probably is. Best that I know they all used the same one except for the FI versions which have a spot to put in an O2 sensor.

WedgeWorks

Jedi Trainee
Monica-Let me know how you make out. I know of 2 TR7 engines I have access too that have the cast exhaust manifolds. I cannot say the 3 down pipe bolts will be good but they are not cracked!

OP
MCNX_BFF

MCNX_BFF

Rich,it's gotta be the right one, it's gotta be, it's gotta be. **clicking heels** If Scott's manifold doesn't work out, Michael, I will give you a holler. Thanks for offering to help me out! Much <3 to this forum! :grouphug:

One more question about the manifold...what color is it SUPPOSED to be? Currently, the one in the car and the possible replacement are that lovely, earthy, oxide brown. I am sure it is a rare color in the LBC world. :wink: Back in its day, would it have been black or a silverish metal color? I figure might as well make it look a little better prior to getting in Spidey. --Monica

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
hondo402000 said:
do they make headers for your year Triumph?

HOndo
She in CA. So has to be careful what she does. +she has to watch the budget for her better half

WedgeWorks

Jedi Trainee
Monica-Header was for the first few years from new silver or a light gray color which burns off pretty quickly.

philman

Jedi Knight
I have an exhaust manifold off an '81 if you are still looking. I live in eugene or. my '81 has a rover v8 now and my '76 won't be needing it. I also have an intake manifold and some other 4 cylinder bits and pieces.

OP
MCNX_BFF

MCNX_BFF

DNK said:
hondo402000 said:
do they make headers for your year Triumph?

HOndo
She in CA. So has to be careful what she does. +she has to watch the budget for her better half

Hey there, Hondo. Yes, they do make headers, but Don is right. The powers that be (in CA) don't seem to like modifications of that sort going on. Budget. Hmmm, what is this budget you speak of, Don?? LOL. :laugh: It does add up quickly. I already watched $800+ trade hands this month --prior to getting this exhaust manifold replaced which will have to wait till February. **sigh** I should have married a mechanic or at least a guy that likes my Spidey. :wall:

Michael and Philman, thanks for being so sweet. If the manifold coming from Reno doesn't work out, I will be contacting those of you that offered assistance. Tom is right; gotta love ya ALL! Thanks for helping to keep Spidey chugging along! --Monica

hondo402000

Darth Vader
its funny, NC has a law that you cannot drive a car on the road that burns oil and continuously smokes, but I pass them all the time. Also NC dropped the inspection of cars that are 35 years and older. So I dont have to have my TR6 inspected anymore. In CA what would be the difference in running a header Vs the cast iron manifold? Noise laws? or pollution law violations?

Hondo

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
hondo402000 said:
In CA what would be the difference in running a header Vs the cast iron manifold? Noise laws? or pollution law violations?
You could run afoul of either one, but emissions would be more likely unless it was really loud. Some technicians won't flag them for tubular headers (as long as everything else passes), but technically it would be illegal unless it had a exemption from the CARB.

71MKIV

Jedi Warrior
Six pack on the passenger seat?

No fuss, no muss, no embarassin' questions. :jester: