• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 76 TR6 Rear Right Brake Line

Don_Houston

Have to replace the brake line on the rear right wheel from wher the flex connection is back on the frame up to the wheel. The only way I can figure out how to remove the flex line from the connection back on the frame is to remove the exhaust pipes to get some access. Seriously, is this the only solution? Just looks like more fun!

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Don, it's been awhile but surely just jack the car up, put on a jack stand and take the wheel off. You could disconnect the shock link and use your jack to lower the trailing arm even more.

Wayne

OP
D

Don_Houston

Thanks for the reply. The car is on jack stands with the wheel and brakes removed. The brake flex connection I am referring to is the one back in the body, attached to the frame where the flex connector attaches to the hard line that comes over from the three way connection closer to the left back wheel. I have already disconnected the flex line near the wheel.

I suppose I know the answer - remove the exhaust pipe - but just thought I'd ask.

Many Thanks!

hondo402000

Darth Vader
a pic sure would help, the bently manual is not much help

maybe attack from the left Rear Wheel?

I hate brake work, its kind of like plumbing work one you touch it, it always leaks and messy job which reminds me to go check the bathroom sink drain

Hondo

bash

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I know just the place you mean - I remember having a few choice words when I was trying to change that hose!

I seem to remember working out that it was better to turn the hose than the nut, if that makes sense. A stubby ratchet spanner was involved somehow too... I just picked up a set of ratcheting open end spanners at Sears, and that very hose connection is what made me think they were worth a try, especially on sale for $12 or so for the set of 4.

Cheers
Alistair

OP
D

Don_Houston

Thanks. I will give that a try although the connection back there with the flex hose and hard line is pretty rusty and hard to break. Otherwise the exhaust lines will have to be removed (they are fairly rusted and were on the list for replacement in the future. I may move that up if I have to remove half of the system anyway).

My current overall goal is to get the car to the point where it can be inspected which includes carb rebuild (the engine does run), finishing the brakes, clutch hydraulics (hopefully not mechanical) and final electrical check. More to follow ...

OP
D

Don_Houston

Bash - I just noticed that you are in Katy. Is there any good Triumph mechanic shop that you have used in the area, just in case? So far I have done everything myself, but I have never done most of this stuff before.

bash

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi Don

I haven't looked for a mechanic as I enjoy doing the work myself, but now you mention it, I haven't noticed any British car places since I moved to Texas a couple of years ago. A quick Google search shows a place called 5R Restorations in Brookshire - convenient for me, but not so much for you! There is a (small) British car show in Katy in a couple of weeks (La Centerra on October 20), so maybe people there would know?

Cheers
Alistair

hondo402000

Darth Vader
you might want to check but here in NC cars of a certain age no longer require being inspected, but you still get billed for the old property tax

Hondo