• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 Rear Hub question, plus gearbox vibe

Pete_Chadwell

Freshman Member
Hi folks.

I have two problems with my 1973 TR6. First, a few weeks ago I had it up in the air to catch up on some long-overdue maintenance. While I was at it, and before I removed the wheels, I tried to "wiggle" the rear wheels to check the hubs. I've owned this car for 25 years and I've only changed ONE of the hubs, the right rear, and that was more than 20 years ago. (in my 25 years of ownership, I haven't added more than about 60,000 miles to the car) Anyway, the right rear felt solid, but the left rear--the one I've never changed--feels like it's got some play. Not much, but I couldn't feel ANY on the right side and I did feel a little slop on the left. At this point, I know I'm going to have to change that hub in the near future. I'd like to get some kind of frame of reference for knowing just how urgent this is. I know that a hub failure can cause the wheel to leave the car. For some reason I'm not anxious to experience that. Any thoughts? Keep in mind that I put fewer than 500 miles (and that's being VERY generous) on this car every year… so it's not like I'm out driving it all the time)

Second thing is a vibration I've noticed--it comes and goes--in the gear lever. I've been aware of it for maybe 3 or 4 years. This is a 'box that I rebuilt myself about 12 years ago. For a long time I've thought the vibration was the pilot bushing (which I replace at every opportunity) because the "buzz" only seemed to happen when I was in neutral. But now I'm noticing it more frequently when I'm in a forward gear, car in motion, either under power or decelerating. It comes and goes, it's either ON or OFF, and it's pretty "light". I can feel it in the gear lever and hear it when it happens, but it's minor enough that an untrained ear would probably not hear it. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks much!

Jims71TR

Freshman Member
not sure about the gear issue but I would replace the lf hub and drive it for another 25 yrs..

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
There will be a complete hub and axle coming up for eBay auction Sunday night around 7;30 pm pacific time.
It's mine.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Assuming the bearings are what is loose, I'd say the issue isn't really urgent until you're having trouble with the brakes rubbing or hearing noises from the bearing. That's not the same failure that causes the wheel to leave the car. Some people have even reported success just tightening up the adjustment nuts a bit.

When you do change it, you might want to consider the stronger hubs from Goodparts.

Triumph had a lot of issues with the shift lever rattling over the years. One possible cure is to add a brace (if it is not there already) from the bolt on the side down to one of the tail housing bolts. There was also an early service bulletin on the topic, that I can't seem to lay my hands on at the moment. But here's a thread with the text from the TSB:
https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/ubbthreads.php/topics/524587

hondo402000

Darth Vader
I replaced my rear axles with Goodparts CV axles, I would be willing to part with my old ones, they are in good shape no play. if you are interested send me a PM

Hondo

OP
Pete_Chadwell

Pete_Chadwell

Freshman Member
Thanks, everyone. I like the Goodparts option, and I'd love to go the CV jointed route, but that's some real money there. I see he's got hubs that'll replace the stock hubs on the stock axles, so I will probably have to go that route. But then that means that going to CVs later would require me to throw away (sell) the Goodparts hubs. So, I'd REALLY like to do the CV axles and hubs all at once and be done with it.

How do you like the CV axles?

Thanks again!

hondo402000

Darth Vader
so far I really like mine, no more TR Twitch, also if you do the axles check your hub studs and do the repair if you have them out

Hondo

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Another one here who went with Goodparts hubs for peace of mind. $'s stopped me there except for new U joints.

Oh yea, do the studs.