• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 rear axle oil change

Bob60

Recently bought a TVR, the one with the TR6 drive-line. Whenever I get a new car I always go through and change all the fluids. Got the car up on jack stands. changed engine and tranny oil. Went to change rear end and there is no drain plug anywhere that I can find! I see the filler plug but no way to drain it. Got a copy of TR6 manual - does not show drain plug. How do you guys change the oil in the rear end????

Thanks,
Bob

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Bob,

Welcome to the forum. Unless you add a drain plug, after you've pulled the differential and remove the cover to drain it, there is no way to flush that out properly. Th problem is that you have to remove the back cover, which holds the differential in place. If you look at my website and go to Differential Overhaul you will see what I mean.

Minesweeper

You will have to suction the old fluid out through the fill hole (which is on the right side of the differential -- you can reach it after removing the passenger side rear wheel). A common mod to the TR6 is to drill and tap for a drain plug -- there is a convenient flat spot on the underside of the differential.

Scott

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Bob60 said:
How do you guys change the oil in the rear end????

According to the factory, you don't!
:nonod:

But if you disagree ...

DSCF0022_reduced.jpg

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
But... Did I once hear that on the TVR w/ the TR6 engine you have to either remove the body or cut an access hole to R&R the Diff?

I've learned to live w/o that drain plug, really not a big deal to remove the cover (all things considered).

OP
B

Bob60

That's crazy - I've never owned a car where you couldn't drain all the fluids. I guess I'll try siphoning the oil out - that should be fun! Think I'll pass on drilling and tapping for a plug right now.

I appreciate the advice.

Thanks,

Bob

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Geo Hahn said:
But... Did I once hear that on the TVR w/ the TR6 engine you have to either remove the body or cut an access hole to R&R the Diff?
Yeah, at least once ... I heard it too :laugh:

swift6

Yoda
Bob60 said:
That's crazy - I've never owned a car where you couldn't drain all the fluids. I guess I'll try siphoning the oil out - that should be fun! Think I'll pass on drilling and tapping for a plug right now.

I appreciate the advice.

Thanks,

Bob

Most automatic transmissions don't have a drain plug. To change the fluid in those you have to drop the pan. No different than opening the rear case of the TR6 differential. Granted, that could be more difficult on a TVR 2500M than a TR6 though. There are lots of examples of rear axles (some front axles on four wheel drives) without drain plugs. A lot of new cars have completely sealed gear boxes. They call it "sealed for life". Of course the manufacturers idea of "life" is the warranty period. Many shops have suction devices to pull the oil out of these. Several fast lube places can do that as well. Take a car like that into a fast lube to change the fluid, its going to draw the attention of all the employees including the manager. They will also be sure its gets extra attention and done right. At least that is what happened at the fast lube I worked at just out of high school. But that was over 20 years ago now.

TR6BILL

Luke Skywalker
swift6 said:
[ Take a car like that into a fast lube to change the fluid, its going to draw the attention of all the employees including the manager. They will also be sure its gets extra attention and done right. At least that is what happened at the fast lube I worked at just out of high school. But that was over 20 years ago now.

My experience taking a Triumph into a fast lube shop is, "Cool car. What is it? Have a nice day."

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
No matter what their reasoning, it's still a pain in the butt. These cars were built well before the advent of fluids that could last for life. And even with today's chemistry, I'm skeptical about those claims.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Brosky said:
And even with today's chemistry, I'm skeptical about those claims.

Well known that on big BMW the trans missions, especially on the V8 cars, are a replacement item at 80-100K because the fluids are "sealed for life". Yikes.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Brosky said:
These cars were built well before the advent of fluids that could last for life.
As always, it depends on which life you are talking about. I would say that fluids always last exactly to the end of their life.

HorseLaugh.jpg

swift6

Yoda
Like I said before, the manufacturers idea of "life" on a part that is "sealed for life" is the warranty period. After the warranty period, there is no servicing the unit, just replacement.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Well I certainly doubt that Standard/TR ever considered that a half-century later we would still be fussing about it. To them eliminating the plug was prolly just a way to save 10d.

hondo402000

Darth Vader
maybe Triumph figured that every thing was going to leak so bad, that you were always adding fluids and never needed to drain and refill

hondo

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Geo Hahn said:
Well I certainly doubt that Standard/TR ever considered that a half-century later we would still be fussing about it. To them eliminating the plug was prolly just a way to save 10d.
A profound statement if there ever was one and ought to be kept in mind when making comparisons to the everyday vehicles that populate today's roads.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]As always, it depends on which life you are talking about. I would say that fluids always last exactly to the end of their life.[/QUOTE]

Randall, that just about covers all of the bases.

However, I was referring to the "end of warranty" as the end of life.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Ok, so I won't quit my day job
grin.gif

My point was just that "lubricated for life" does not specify what life. If you take it to mean the part's life, then when the part fails due to lack of lubrication, it was clearly lubricated for life.

IOW, the phrase "Lubricated for life" is marketing-speak for "This won't last as long as before, but we want you to think it is better."

However, another explanation might be that the Leyland engineers wanted you to pull the rear cover to change the oil, so that you could also clean out the bottom of the housing. Remember that gear oil does not have detergents like motor oil does, to keep wear particles suspended, and so they tend to settle to the bottom of the housing.

I don't recall which one offhand, but ISTR there was a Triumph manual with words to the effect that changing differential oil should only be done by a dealer.