Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Opinions: best way to get 150hp TR6?

Chats

Re: Opinions: best way to get 150hp TR6?

Hey Tom, and I bet you can cite more than a few more examples of cars with a lot less HP, upgraded suspension and skilled drivers, running circles around more powerful cars with so so drivers.
    DRIVE 'EM IF YOU GOT 'EM

Jedi Warrior
    Chats

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by tdskip
    [broken_record_on] The great thing about suspensions and brake mods is that they won't break your drivetrain and are easily reversible. I remember having to flash my lights and lay on the horn to make sure the Corvettes and M3s knew I was about to pass them in my Nissan SE-R, and that solely a function of a predictably handling car and youthful willingness to explore the inner workings of a big insurance claim incurred at a race track. So going fast in a rally in the NorCal countryside is more about carrying speed than having a certain amount of HP. [broken_record_off]
    Yeah I'm looking forward to suspension too. I haven't had a chance to do enough searching yet to responsibly solicit opinions, but keep an eye out for a thread on that topic when I have...

With my experience in low HP cars on track and in autox, couldn't agree more with focusing on turning the car. In fact I think a lower HP car is better for learning since you don't have the benefit of just mashing the pedal in the straights to make up for lack of beauty in the turns, where actual skill is required. Throw in a peaky motor (like a high-revving 4, not TR6), and the forced learning is even more apparent in autox since losing speed in the turns means a lot less power out of them!

In parallel, I do want more power out of the TR6, and would like to experience the car at 150HP, part because the drivetrain was designed for at least that and part because I'm just curious to experience the car all those lucky brits had with their PI all these years...

The irony is that I'm extremely cautious on the open road and don't push too hard out there anyway, so maybe this is cerebral exercise for me. Though I love the idea of autoxing if I can sharpen things up a bit.
    71 TR6 (fresh engine rebuild: 9.5CR, GP2 cam, lightened flywheel, HVDA conversion)
    06 Elise
    72 GT6 (sold :| no space!)

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by SpitBang
    150hp 'should' be reasonably easy to get from a TR6 if you bring it up to European spec, though I would advise a EFI system such as Megasquirt instead of Lucas PI for easier tuning.
    Beautiful GT6! That must be a blast. Thanks for the thoughts and posting... where did source your PI system?
    71 TR6 (fresh engine rebuild: 9.5CR, GP2 cam, lightened flywheel, HVDA conversion)
    06 Elise

Chats

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]In parallel, I do want more power out of the TR6, and would like to experience the car at 150HP, part because the drivetrain was designed for at least that[/QUOTE]

Was it really? Maybe when they were new, but not at 35-40 years old unless you go Ratco.
    Paul Rego
    S.E. MASS - USA
    1974 TR6 Mimosa &amp; Chestnut
    Original Owner / Non Original Car
    1980 TR8 Lava Red Pearl / Tan
    New Owner / Non Original Car

My TR6 Resto-Mod Project

Quote Originally Posted by MTribe
    Beautiful GT6! That must be a blast. Thanks for the thoughts and posting... where did source your PI system?
    Ta, it is kind of fun [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img] This old PI stuff is quite easy to source in the UK, but the clever part, the metering unit, was sourced through the afore mentioned Gareth Thomas. Metering units for the 2.5 liter engines can be found through a number of suppliers here in the UK. Though I guess there may be other people in Europe and Australia who can re-furbish and calibrate metering units.

I guess you'd be looking at around 250GBP for a complete PI kit, which would then need the metering unit and injectors re-furbished to make sure it works out of the box. Then there would of course be the shipping costs, which is why I advised a EFI system as it can be cheaper/easier to source the parts.

Someone I know has made a EFI system for their Vitesse, which is kink of interesting to see Megasquirt EFI conversion

Jedi Trainee
    Chats

spitbang, where did you buy your header from?
    Randy

Freshman Member
    Chats

Quote Originally Posted by poolboy
    Hey Tom, and I bet you can cite more than a few more examples of cars with a lot less HP, upgraded suspension and skilled drivers, running circles around more powerful cars with so so drivers.
    Bingo! It's the twisties that make it fun, getting the power to the road. You wanna drag race get a 600HP Challenger or Vette it will be cheaper in the end.

Lou

Chats

It's been a while and I'm starting to consider a 150HP upgrade again. I have decided to not go the supercharging route to keep the sounds as original as possible.

Someone was telling me dual Webers give more power--anyone have experience with this or know what kind of HP gain one might see? Keep in mind I have a GP2 cam and 9.5CR if that matters. Thanks for the ongoing discussion...
    06 Elise

Chats

Which dual Webers are you talking about?? If it's the DGV's, I seen lots of problems with them. Some people have got them to work OK, but most guys in our club who have used them wound up ripping them off and going with triple ZS's or SU's instead. That makes for a nice setup. Triple DCOE's are an option, but very pricey.
    Art
    '58 TR3A TS236xxL
    '92 Mazda Miata -- Supercharged
    '07 Mazda RX-8
    '11 Mazda CX-7