• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Opinions on Monza exhaust needed

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
The stock muffler on my 69 TR6 finally needs to be replaced. I was going to go with stainless steel this summer, but then I noticed that BPNW is having a sale on the Monza muffler. I know nothing about these. Any suggestions on these.? Any special modification I would need? Any advice would be appreciated.
Kevin

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
FWIW, I started taking my Triumphs to a local muffler shop and having them do it. The cost is minimal (sometimes even less than the parts would have cost me) and the work is good. Best of all, I don't have to crawl under the car and fight with it, while the rust rains down in my eyes! When I converted the Stag to OD (which believe it or not requires a different exhaust), he modified the existing headpipes to fit, for free! Saved a big wad of money there (as pre-bent pipes are only available from Merry Old England).

He offers a variety of mufflers, but I always opt for the straight-through "Cherry Bomb" style glasspacks in seamless aluminized steel. They seem to last nearly forever and are a good match for the original mufflers (for TR3 and Stag any, not sure about TR6).

Anyway, just a thought. You might want to check with a local shop before buying from BPNW, etc.

Tiger

Jedi Warrior
I cannot tell you about TR6's but if this is a genuine Pacesetter Monza exhaust, I've seen/heard them on a couple of other cars and wouldn't hesitate to use them.

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I agree with Randell. I had a exhaust system installed by our local muffler shop. They did a great job, and the car sounds very nice. The exhaust tips on the monza system stick out quite a bit, in my opinion. It looks like a "add on". The muffler shop did all the work from the headers back, very nice work, cost $350. They installed two 18" glass packs in the dual exhaust. The chrome tips are set in a very nice position.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
From what I read on another TR6/250 forum, the Monza system is loud.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I put ANSA mufflers on mine and couldn't be happier.

TR3TR6

Jedi Warrior
I have the dual Monza's on my TR6, really like them and was an easy install if you don't mine working under the car. If you can get it on an lift, it's real easy; they come with everything you need. They sound real good.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Kevin- I know money is an important consideration with you.,
Do as Randall suggest and take it to a couple of shops and get quotes

simpson

poolboy's note on loudness should be considered. My experience - with friends who had the monza systems is that they are loud and can prohibit talking with a passenger easily. Sometimes it may be embarrassing to start and drive out the neighborhood. I guess it depends on what your tastes and concerns are. They do not last as long as a stainless system naturally, but cost about 1/2. If you want to do this just once there are some good sounding SS systems to be had, and not too difficult to convert over to.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I fit a Monza system to my 4A a number of years ago, it is similar if not the same as the TR6 systems I have seen. It was loud, I wanted some noise, but it was too much for me, as mentioned, OK when you want to be a scoundrel, but sneeking away from the mistresses Apt. at 2 AM not so good.

I would not say it was cheaply made, but not exactly premium either, on of the rear muffler mounts broke off when I went on a trip with probably less than 2000 miles on the system, and I had to weld it back on.

I ended up fitting the front muffler back on from the TR4A dual muffler system, and after that I had the mello, sporty note I wanted with the Monza mufflers in back, I think the system itself looks very nice, and I got a lot of compliments on it when it was on the car. I have seen some of the newer systems with what looks like a couple glass packs in addition to the rear mufflers, maybe these are a little quieter. I am looking on ebay now, the system for the later TR6 with the dual pipes has the extra little glass packs like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIUMPH-TR...Parts_Accessories&hash=item19eebb8c7d&vxp=mtr The early single exhaust system only has the two rear mufflers look like https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIUMPH-TR...Parts_Accessories&hash=item19e8776cbb&vxp=mtr

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
A Monza exhaust came on my '6; I have to say I'm not in love with it. On the highway, it's a touch loud; leaving the neighborhood on a quiet Sunday morning, it's too loud.

My TR3 exhaust was worked on 30 years ago by a local Midas shop, still in business. Perfect exhaust note, and quality materials (back then).

If I was in the market for an exhaust, I would not hesitate to check out local, recommended shops.

bunzil

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
My two cents...I've had Ansa's for years on my '76 and have been very pleased with them. Yes, they are louder than stock, but I believe less than Monza - it seems like you are headed in the louder direction anyway. If you google either ansa or monza "exhaust for tr6" you'll find a bunch of You Tubes which will reveal their sounds and appearance.

'69's had the single downpipe and while they used to make a single downpipe system, the Ansa site today reveals only '72 and after, which is the dual downpipe. You'll need to check that out. And yes, I'd have a local guy do the install.

Vila

Jedi Hopeful
You may or may not go with the Monza system, but I believe in the old saying "You get what you pay for".

Vila
1933 Chevrolet
1962 Triumph TR4
1984 BMW 633 CSi

Vaark01

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I agree with Randall. I took my -3B to a local shop and have a cherry bomb hooked up to my headers. The sound is very nice. I once had a Monza system but found it was too quiet for my liking.

Paul

BobbyD

Jedi Knight
to me.... exhaust sound is personal.... when I got my car 17 years ago it had a Monza exhaust..... sounded great around town, setting off car alarms as I drove by but take it on the highway and it droned on and on and on.....15 minutes of highway driving drove me crazy so it went and stock steel exhaust replaced it. The stock system has a great throaty sound and highway cruising was a breeze. This year I decided my major project was the new Tourist Trophy SS system from Moss. Herman Van den Akker's car was the mule for development so I called Herman to see how he liked..... especially considering he is the King of long distance travel. Based on his recommendation I bought one and was blown away by the quality...... every piece of SS is polished to a mirror-like finish. It's a shame it's under the car! I love the sound around town and on the highway you barely know it's there.

P1100322 (Small).JPGP1100323 (Small).JPGP1100324 (Small).JPG

TR3TR6

Jedi Warrior
Kevin, there's a dual Monza exhaust for the TR6 on Ebay for $ 349.00 or best offer which is a pretty good price.

Bruce100

Jedi Trainee
Make sure you understand what the impact is on torque. a free flowing exhaust may increase power at higher rpm, but it will decrease torque at lower rpm. It changes the "pull " as you accelerate at low rpms.

StagByTriumph

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have been looking at replacing the exhaust on my TR250. On all my Stags I ran Bell Stainless.
There is this company in the US that sells Bell Stainless Exhausts for less cost than the other Triumph parts suppliers.
In my opinion, Bell is the best you can buy. Cost for a TR6 is about $390. No Financial interest, but I am a believer in Bell 100%.
www.british-stainless-exhaust.com/