• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Need a few opinions on parting out/pricing for TR6

bricktop

Folks,

After being rear-ended last year, I took the insurance money (minus 3100.00 insurance co. salvage assessment charge) and bought another 76 TR6 to join the totaled 76 vehicle.

Bought a RATCO frame and had my shop begin the process of re-creating the wrecked vehicle on the new frame. At this point, the donor tub has been swapped onto the new frame and most of the aftermarket upgrades have been swapped onto the "new" car.

I am going to have difficulty taking possession of the pile of pieces/parts that are going to be left behind and want to see if the shop is interested in bartering for the leftovers in return for some of the labor costs that are still ahead of me to get this car back on the road.

Not to get too far off into the weeds, but I will be left with a 76 engine and non-overdrive trans and drive train with 44k miles and completely stock. Two front fenders and one usable rear quarterpanel. A hood....basically everything in the engine bay and the interior, ie: seats, dash, gauges etc are in good enough shape to be resold.
Insurance valued the salvaged car at 3100.00 but that may be more than the sum of the parts are worth. I was thinking about trying to get 2k worth of parts/labor in trade for all of it, versus trying to ebay it all myself one part at a time.

Am I in the ballpark or out of my mind?

Country flag
Think you are going to have to break it down to parts to get $2k out of what you have left. Ballparking prices- $500 for good running engine, $300 for trans, $100 per axle, $200 for diff, $200 for fender, $150 hood, $100 for seats, $150 for gauges and thats being positive on pricing plus taking the time to do it. If the shop will take you up on the trade you will be ahead.

Marv

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Fenders might bring a touch more on eBay if they are really good, but as Marv points out there is a big hassle factor here for you if you go this route.

V

vagt6

Bricktop: sell the parts on eBay! They will go, especially if there's no reserve or a low one.

Otherwise, maybe take the lot to a British car show or list it on this board and other LBC boards.

Worth the effort to sell the parts, someone will buy them.

Let us know . . . :yesnod:

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Build a shed in the backyard and save all the parts. You never know what you will need down the road. At least that's what this crazy LBC owner would do. I have two sheds, a garage, and a house full of parts. It's OK with the wife as long as she can't see them.

OP
B

bricktop

I live in a townhome in Fairfax Co. No room to keep an engine, tranny or much of anything else for that matter. I don't even know how I would transport all of that from the shop to my home if I wanted to keep it. Would require a storage unit to house all of that and my desire is to have no residual cost after all I have spent for this project already.

Gonna try and barter for labor with the shop....if they want no part of it, then I will have to consider taking possession and selling it piece by piece myself. Ugh.

OP
B

bricktop

I'm in fairfax area.