• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

opinions needed!!!

BillJoBob

Hello Gents,
Been a while since I last posted on this forum. Had some family issues that have put a pause on the TR3 build.
One thing we are pondering is what move to make next. we have thought about a few options and are not sure which way to go...
Should we finish all of the mechanicals first, and then have the body painted and fitted?
Or....should we have the body work done, finish the interior, and then have the engine and trans rebuilt and installed.
We had planned on the first option and we'd just leave the body for last.
But, a good TR3 body man told us that the body work is best done first and then install the engine and trans.
Just wondering what you guys think. The frame is about done and the body just needs to be sanded, test fitted and then painted.
Thanks in advance for any and all comments!

Bill

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Depends on your goals, IMO. It's really tough to get the engine compartment painted properly with an engine in the way.

OP
B

BillJoBob

well, our goal is a good driver car, not a concourse restoration, cause we just dont have the budget. The engine bay is in pretty good shape and already painted but just not perfect. But thanks for the input Randall!

toysrrus

Yoda
Howdy Bill,

I`m restoring a `57TR3 Small Mouth. I "Totally" dis-assembled the car! The Fenders, Bonnet etc are all off the car. The body work is just about complete and in epoxy primer. I`m going to have the Engine Bay "Finished Painted" before The Engine & Trans go back in; Leaving the rest of the car in primer. Once that is done; Its back to the body shop for a "Final Fit & Paint & Re-Ass`y" of the fenders etc. The "Interior" I`m saving for last as to not get any paint, dirt, grime or whatever on it.

Best Wishes with Your TR,

Russ

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
I tend to be the contrarian to everyone else. I prefer to do as much as possible before body and paint. Basically the premise is designed around how much work you'll do and how long the shell will sit.The longer it sits, the more likely the damage to thebody or paint will occur in a normal person's garage.

How much work are you going to do vs. a body man, mechanic etc? Having a freshly painted body shell looks nice, but what about the suspension, brakes, interior, dash, wiring, engine accessories, engine, etc, etc. There's not much point to trying to reassemble when you don't have all this ready. I do talk about my specific process on my web site, but your mileage may vary.

The real trick to assess properly what's left to be done. Then figure out the order. Also keep in mind space, costs and time.

Jody

Country flag
I'm doing a TR3 at present. I did it like the factory assembly. Frame painted, engine built, painted and installed. Then sat the painted tub on. Painted fenders, hood doors separate and then installed. Makes for a more detailed looking job. Tub is not that hard to put on, I did mine by myself.

Marv

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Bill: This is really a matter of your goals and priorities. Is this a full body shell off restoration? How much work do you intend to do yourself? What is your budget? How long are you willing to wait for a finished car? You can find many examples and variations on this forum and some of the guys have wonderful websites with detailed documentation. If you can handle some of the "bull work" you can save money. For example, you can strip the car, remove the body shell from the rolling chassis and have the body guy work on the shell while you attend to the rolling chassis. Then the engine, gearbox, differential can be farmed out while you rebuild suspension and brakes which is easier and does not require special equipment. So, the variations are endless. Your choice.

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
I decided to do my TR3A restoration the same way that I did my TR6 restoration as I was very happy with the results of the TR6 in the end.

I vote for frame/engine and mechanicals first. Tub to fitted frame. Interior. Wings, Doors, Boot/Bonnet, Hoodstick, Windscreen.

My engine/frame/mechanicals are done. Just working on the body now.

Good Luck.

Cheers,
M. Pied Lourd

OP
B

BillJoBob

Thanks gents for the feedback. Our frame is painted w/por 15 and almost finished. just need to finish brake lines and fuel line. I think we're gonna send the motor out and find a trans and then we'll put the shell on the frame and go from there.
Thanks again!

D

DougF

I put the drivetrain on the frame and covered everything in plastic sheeting. Then mounted the painted tub (except for exterior panels) over the plastic. The sheeting protected everything from dirt, dust, overspray, etc.

Good luck and enjoy!

OP
B

BillJoBob

Ummm....and then what did ya do next? I just dont see the advantage to having that sheeting between the body and the frame? is it there to protect the frame from the body or the body from the frame?...lol. Im lost on this one....

toysrrus

Yoda
BillJoBob said:
Thanks gents for the feedback. Our frame is painted w/por 15 and almost finished. just need to finish brake lines and fuel line. I think we're gonna send the motor out and find a trans and then we'll put the shell on the frame and go from there.
Thanks again!

Bill,

It sounds like, in your post, you already have the Tub "OFF" the frame; Correct? If so, Then do all the body work, paint etc. Obviously, The fenders, bonnet etc would be painted seperately. Then the Tub would get mounted "After" all the mechanics are complete.

Russ