• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Opinions needed on possible sale of my 60 TR3A

TFR

Jedi Trainee
My work is trying to screw the work force by suspending our pay raises and cutting back to 32 hours a week. Since I'm hourly that is a twenty percent pay cut plus future pay raise earnings. Since the TR3A is like a toy I am thinking of selling it.

It is completely restored, frame off, every bolt and nut. Engines like new, paint, Over drive, everything.
I did all the work myself so it is not Chip Foose but nice. Compliments everytime I drive it.
Have approximately $18,000 in it. Spared no expense.

Should I wait until the economy is better or do you think a nice car will sell at that price?

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
dont sell it'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :nonono:

HOCK SOMTHING FIRST' YOULL FOR EVER REGRET IT'

(((GOT PIX?)))

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Larry,
A well done and documented home restoration should sell for that and more even in these times.
If you go the ebay route really take time with your description and photo's (i.e. pics of the gas tank area behind the interior panel, nooks crannies showing new fasteners etc.)

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I've been helping a friend look for a TR3 or 4 and really, well-restored examples are the exception rather than the rule. So many for sale in the mid to high teens look like they got a coat of paint and 500 bucks worth of shiny parts to make them look nice for the camera.

I agree with Pat's suggestion -- lots of photos showing the areas of the car an informed buyer worries about (and many for sale do not want to show). Peel back the carpets and show the floorpans, get close-ups of the engine, etc. if you have photos taken during the resto that would be great. And for goodness sakes don't describe a problem and assure the buyer that it is an 'easy fix'.

OP
T

TFR

Jedi Trainee
Thanks...

Not really wanting to sell but it may come to it. Hopefully I can offset some lost income by repairing others cars.

I'm also a distributor for Moss parts. So if anyone is in need I can probably save them some money.

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
If you love your TR, you are completely happy with it and you can afford to keep hold of it, then I would keep it, even if it means just keeping it moth-balled in the garage. Hopefully things will pick up and you will soon be back in full-time employment.
If you sell you will have to go through all of the work and expense again. But, then maybe that is something that you would like to do. Some people prefer restoring cars to driving them.
When my old business went under I managed to keep hold of my TR while I went back to university. Having spent a lot of money on the car it didn't need any work over that time and didn't cost much more than the insurance and routine maintenance. It also went down very well with my fellow students!

Twosheds

Darth Vader
To paraphrase The Furry Freak Brothers:

"It's better to have TR3 in times of no money than to have money in times of no TR3."

I have experimented with this and found it to be so.

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I sold my TR3 in 1986 when I was about to start a new job after being laid off for over six months. My wife was going to stay home with the kids (like she had done the previous three years) and wasn't going to work. Money was going to be tight. When I got home from loading the car onto the new owner's trailer, my wife told me should would go back to work if she could get a new bedroom suite.
I've never gotten over that. At least you could get real money for yours. Mine went for $1300.

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
To my other brother Larry

I don't know your situation but things aren't that bad that you need to sell. I've had my 1960 TR3A since 1976 and I've been through 5 recessions and was out of work for 1 1/2 years. The thought NEVER crossed my mind to sell. Cut back on non essentials (going out to eat, movies and vacations, etc) If your schedule allows get a part time job. Sounds like you can do car work. There's a few bucks.

We are in another recession and there is a 69 TR6 in the garage that I'm accumulating parts to start the restoration. Just don't do something you'll regret latter and cost you a lot more to get back into.

Larry

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
DO NOT SELL YOUR TR!!!!
KEEP IT FOR EVER, YOU WILL MISS IT!! YOU WILL HATE YOURSELF FOR DOING IT!!
Dan

D

DougF

Who can argue with The Furry Freak Brothers? Sounds like sage advice to me!

GilsTR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Larry...I have been in your shoes before. In 1974 I owned a
beautiful Porsche 356...I was the original owner. When tough times hit I sold the Porsche...some United pilot almost stole it from me. I can still smell the great grey leather seats.
Never will forget the empty feeling in my gut as he drove away. Need I tell you any more? Sell ONLY as a last option.
Better times will come...and when they get here you do not want to be without your TR! Gil

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
billspit said:
When I got home from loading the car onto the new owner's trailer, my wife told me should would go back to work if she could get a new bedroom suite.

OUCH!

Larry, Unless its really bad, and you have no other choice, then like everyone else said, Keep it. As time goes on, and the economy stabilizes, the value of your TR will come up, and up, and up. All the while you'll look back and wish you never sold it.