• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Opinions Sought: Moss v. TRF v. Victoria British

Lbp

My '58 TR3A is spending the winter getting the body restored and painted (BRG) at a local shop. I'm assembling parts to replace a lot of the chrome (or as they call it on Wheeler Dealers, the "brightwork") including the bead that runs along the top of the fenders. Moss Motors, The Roadster Factory, and Victoria British all carry a lot of this stuff for about the same price (though Victoria British currently has a sale going on). Any experience or thoughts about the relative merits of these three companies and differences in parts quality would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Something of a dangerous topic here, as Basil feels very strongly about "vendor bashing". So I'll just say that I've bought beads from both Moss (in the distant past) and TRF (more recently); and they were pretty much identical. To the point that I think they likely came from the same source.

Since they were readily available elsewhere, I didn't even look at VB.

sd80mac7204

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
As Randall said, this is a tricky subject. All three have good parts and are fairly competitive on pricing. I would recommend calling them and seeing which one gives you a better feel just by how they talk to you as a customer and how well they can answer your questions in a satisfactional manner.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
I've used all 3 and then some for my TR6 parts and will continue to. Victoria British is a reliable parts supplier and makes no claim to have a technical advice department.

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I got brake rubbers from VB and then again to replace. Nothing matched. Won't go there again. Went elsewhere. TRF in my opnion does their best but harder to order, Moss point and click. We are lucky, all these TR parts are available and pretty cheap.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
As others have said, all three are good resources. Moss has ~my~ vote, as they are a supporting vendor here! :wink:

:cheers:
Mickey

BillyB62

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I use TRF almost exclusively, simply because they are closer and I get my parts sooner. I've never had an issue with anything ordered thus far, but with that said the couple of orders with VB have also been flawless. I look forward to my Friday emails from TRF to see what is on sale.

As mentioned, all three are very reputable and competitive - it just happens that I ordered from TRF first and have been happy with them.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
You will end up using all 3 during a large project, as only one or another have some of the parts. We really have limited resources with these old cars, so definitely don't burn any bridges...as that may be the only bridge to get a part or two.

And, for the record, I have gotten both great and terrible parts from all 3. They all seem to want to make it right when you get a bad part, though.

john

OP
Lbp

Lbp

Not looking to bash anyone. I love that there are so many choice's available for a soon to be 55 year old car. Just trying to figure out who's best. I suspect that a lot of these parts must come from the same manufacturer. I mean, how many factories out there are turning out fender bead work for TR3s?

Have a great Holiday season everyone.

Bill

P.S. Try moving your mouse pointer over the Xmas lights at the top of the screen with the sound turned on!

RonR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I live a few miles from one of the venders mentioned, and I prefer to order from Moss or TRF. For Moss, I order from a dealer that offers a 15 percent discount off Moss pricing (Tom's Import Toy Sales in Portland Oregon) Super great family to do business with. For used parts, I check with Matt at Triumph Rescue in PA.

Ron

M

Member 10617

I've had a lot of experience with Moss and TRF, but nothing yet with VB. What I have found is that for some items, Moss is best, and for other items, TRF is best. This is just determined by trial and error. Both are easy to work with. If something doesn't fit or there is something wrong with what you have received, both make it easy to send things back. We're very lucky to have these fine suppliers.

I have found the prices to be about the same.

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
TRF will always send the best part that is available at the time, and if you don't like it return it without any problems. I've been a TRF customer for well over 30 years and never had an unresolved problem. Moss is also a good company and support the Forum. Never had any unresolved problems with them. Can't offer any information about VB. Make sure you get on the mailing list of both and you decide who you like.

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I see that you live out here on the west coast. Moss get's the goods here in a few days.. A plus for me.. P.M. me and I will give you some info on some other great sources.

donbmw

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I have used a three. BUt mustly Moss and VB.

Don

Lukens

Jedi Warrior
FWIW, my PO gave me a folder containing receipts totaling over $12k for Moss parts. All were on invoices from his local British repair shop. Each invoice listed a %15 discount for Moss parts. I won't say the name of the shop, but I wonder if this is common practice... dealer discounts?
On a side note, it's interesting (astounding) to see how the prices have jumped over the last 5-7 years.

Crankshaft

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I have used all three with good results. One nice touch is that I recall receiving a hand written "Thank You' note from VB.
that's a nice touch in this day and age.

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all.

Phil

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I have used all of them extensively, I mostly used TRF and Victoria British when I redid my TR250. I don't dislike VB (or I wouldn't use them) but sometimes if you order something like a turn signal flasher you will get a part that is nowhere near original but will work, TRF will often sell both and tell you the difference. I use VB if I am in the middle of a project and need a part to finish because if I order from Moss or TRF it takes all week to get to me, VB a day or two just cause I am in the middle of the country and very far away from either coast. I have used Moss a lot in the past, but with the TR250 TRF just seemed a little more in tune with the Triumph world, and they have sales every week, so since I needed everything when I started I just ordered it when it went on sale. I will add that if you want to save a little dough, there are many Moss resellers that sell the Moss parts at a 10% discount or so, it is kind of an odd business model, but Moss is apparently OK with it.

TR3TR6

Jedi Warrior
I purchase from all three. I don't want to see any of them go out of business. Without them, we would be buying our parts direct from England or some other country and the shipping costs along with the travel time would be a nightmare!

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
FWIW, my PO gave me a folder containing receipts totaling over $12k for Moss parts. All were on invoices from his local British repair shop. Each invoice listed a %15 discount for Moss parts. I won't say the name of the shop, but I wonder if this is common practice... dealer discounts?
On a side note, it's interesting (astounding) to see how the prices have jumped over the last 5-7 years.

It's not just dealers. I did the same thing. I forget the exact numbers, but if your first order is over, like $1000 at Moss, you then get 12 months of "loyalty discount"...or 15% off all purchases. In a large restoration, $1k is a drop in the bucket, so I started my discount by saving my parts till I reached the $1k and placed the large order. TRF and VB usually have lower prices all the time...Moss uses the "frequent flyer" type plan.

I built a chart as I went along, and knew which parts were best at which store.

On a side note, when you order from VB, the sales reps have no idea what they are selling. I liked all the parts I bought from them...but it is odd when you can't ask even basic questions about "will this fit", or "does it look like" this. You have to know what you are looking for wth VB.

John