• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Petronix - Opinions, please

MoHealey

Considering replaceing a perfectly good OE dizzy with a new Petronix. Would anyone care to weigh in on either side of this?
Reliability, power, etc. Is it worth it?
Opinions on the "crimes against originality" scale?
Just replaced one on the MG (out of necessity) and I am feeling a significant performance improvement.
Thanks

shorn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I can only say that I replaced mine about 4 years ago and am very pleased with it. Now I suppose if one keeps the points adjusted properly and all, that is fine. But I noticed an improvement in performance with the Petronix and have not had any problems with it.

MarkA

Jedi Trainee
I have been using a Pertronix for about 5 years and 30,000 miles now. I like not having to worry about dwell and timing is always correct. I have never had any problems with it.

Mark

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
MoHealey said:
Considering replaceing a perfectly good OE dizzy with a new Petronix.
When you say dizzy are you referring to the entire distributor? The Pertronix is certainly cheaper than say, the Mallory or the 123 dizzy. One thing to check would be if it is legal in your state, especially if you have vehicle inspections.

OP
M

MoHealey

Yes - I was referring to the entire distributor. Now that you mention it, anyone have a strong opinion either way on just the electronic points set?

Country flag
I've had a Pertronix "points" set in my BJ8 for probably 30K miles or more. I'm very happy with it. If you install one, you can use the white/black wire that runs to the battery cutoff switch for a ground--the Pertronix isn't grounded to the distributor like points are--IFF you move the terminal on the battery switch to the same terminal on which the battery is grounded (i.e. the wire needs to be grounded for the Pertronix to work, instead of the stock setup where the wire needs to be an open circuit when the engine is running).

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
If as you say the distributor is in good shape then why not just replace the points with the Pertronix unit.

If you want to really make sure the distributor is perfect why not send it to Jeff at Advanced Distributors and have him sell you and install the unit and while he is at it he can check out the dizzy.

BobFrisby

As mentioned, if you are concerned with originality, use the Pertronix module in the original distributor. You MUST use a coil with enough resistance (about 3 ohms) to prevent overloading the module.

Everyone seems to experience a significant improvement in general performance, and most never seem to have any problems. HOWEVER, these can fail, and the failure tends to be sudden and total. I have had one such failure, and have known of a couple of others here locally.

Theoretically, you can keep you old points, etc., and put them back in if needed. This could be difficult under adverse conditions. The (more costly)alternative is to carry a spare module. Worth it, IMHO.

Bob Frisby
1962 BT7 Tricarb
Boise, Idaho

Country flag
MoHealey said:
What about the coil? Do I need the "hot" one?

I've run my Pertronix with a stock--AFAIK original--coil for the 30K+ miles I've had the unit. No problems. I don't think a 'hot' coil buys you much unless you've got a high-compression, high-revving--i.e. race--or very lean-running engine (IMHO). Greater voltage MAY cause problems--e.g. crossfiring--unless your secondary wiring is in excellent shape. My Pertronix with stock coil throws a 3/4" spark from a plug lead to the block. One thing: don't leave the key in the 'on' position with the engine not running--it can damage the Pertronix (perhaps the cause of some failures).

I've carried points in case of failure, but I think I'll spring for a spare Pertronix. They have a newer unit that supposedly improves on the original--not sure if it's available for our old cars.

BobFrisby

Yes, I did. Dave was a good friend, and lived about a mile from me. Like me, he was active in the Idaho British Car club. A really great guy, very much missed by all.

Bob Frisby
Boise

BlueRidge1

Jedi Warrior
I just ordered a pertronix ignitor yesterday for my BN7. I thought about changing the complete distributor but chose not to because I didn't want to loose my mechanical cable driven tach. Oh and saved a few bucks over my usual supplier who wanted $130.00 and I was able to get it fot $98. Also I ordered a gear reduction high torque starter for $179.00 vs $279.00 from my usual vendor. Time will tell if this is a good value but I am optomistic. New vendor is Classicgarage.com. I won't mention the other vendor but I will say that I have always been happy with their products but I don't mind saving $$ when I can.
Regards
Bob

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Bob-

I've always wondered what ever happened to Dave's 100. He sure gave it everythiing including a full engine rebuild within a couple of years of his death. He and I corresponded a lot as we shared several projects, the NICAL hardtop being the most significant.

Do you have any idea where the car is now?

Ed_K

Jedi Knight
I have been using the petronix igniter and matching coil for 3 years now without any problems. I have also been carrying around a spare igniter in my car for that long without any need for it.
... I have just received a new petronix distributor from Jeggs ($160 instead of $290 from usual supplier )and I am about to install it along with a spare differential assembly that contains the Lempert 3.56 ring and pinion set.
I noticed the timing mark wobbling around when I checked the timing with my light so I decided to get the new distributor instead of getting the original rebuilt. If I had a mechanical tach drive like on the older cars, I would have sent the original distributor out to get rebuilt.
I'll report back on the new petronix distibutor after I have run it for a while.... Now to search the forum to find the socket size I will need for the rear axle nuts.
.. We all miss Dave !

Later, :hammer:
Ed

BlueRidge1

Jedi Warrior
Ed,
PM me with your mailing address and I will loan you a rear axle nut socket.

Also I got my license tag yesterday and I am going to take the Healey for it's first (leagle) ride since 1974 here in a few minutes .
Bob

Ed_K

Jedi Knight
The Pertronix distributor made a big difference in the way my car runs.
It is a lot smother running now and the timing mark is not occasionally jumping around under the timing light as it used to do. I didn't think much was wrong with my original distributor but I was wrong ! The little bit of play I could feel in my original distributor translated into poor performance, especially at high RPMs.
Axle shafts and the original differential carrier are out of the car now but I need to replace one wheel bearing on the side that had the significantly out of balance brake drum.
More parts, then more tools, then more parts... I am doing my part to try and stimulate the economy .

Ed :driving:

davidb

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I put the Crane Cams electronic systems in my BT7 and BJ8 several years ago(these also use an small external heat sink which you have to mount somewhere under the bonnet), and the Pertronix in my TR6. Both systems seem to work great. Crane system is about twice the price - no appreciable difference in my book, as far as I can tell...
Dave