• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tranny Tunnel - Heated Opinions

stretchit2

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Fellow Healeyadicts,

I found a product at Vic Hubbard Speed and Marine and I am considering using it to line the inside (non interior side) of my tranny tunnel.

Reflect a Cool Reflective Adhesive Foil

Any Opinions on the Subject? (That was rhetorical) :laugh:

Thanks,

Stretch

Country flag
I've got both sides of my tunnel covered with dynamat, it seems to work pretty good.

Larry

Robert560

I used Thermo-Tec Part No. 13590 on the underside of the tunnel, which looks similar to the Reflect-A-Cool stuff. Then I used a different Thermo-Tec all over the inside (14620). Together, I've been very happy with the job they've done keeping the heat out.

~Bob

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
stretchit2 said:
Fellow Healeyadicts, I found a product at Vic Hubbard Speed and Marine and I am considering using it to line the inside (non interior side) of my tranny tunnel.
Any Opinions on the Subject? (That was rhetorical) :laugh: Thanks, Stretch

Hi Strech,
That product looks very similar (if not the same) to the Pegasus Racing product I used. Aluminized Heat Barrier, Adhesive Backed. Click HERE

I installed it about 3 years ago, and it's held up well, has not unglued itself at all. Seems to have helped out with keeping the heat out.

Being it's so thin, I also applied it to the metal under the Healey heatshield panels, under the drivers seat, and the fire wall.

I used Low-e insulation on the exterior of the tunnel, in place of jute. I also used Low-e in place of jute under the carpet. (Low-e is a heat reflecting product, about the same thicknes and has some padding like jute, but doe not absorb water, like jute. As if we should be concerned about water entering a Healey...ah, so thats why the carpets has snaps..lol)

Good luck,
Roger

OP
stretchit2

stretchit2

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Roger,

This looks like a nice installation. I have a couple of other questions related to your installation.

Did you use some type of roller to get such a nice fit on the inside of the tunnel?

It looks like on the interior you used dynamat and low e is that correct?

Did you install new hardware (runners) for the seat?

And finally, did the dynamat and/or the low e go under the seat rails?

Thanks,

Stretch

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
stretchit2 said:
Fellow Healeyadicts,

I found a product at Vic Hubbard Speed and Marine and I am considering using it to line the inside (non interior side) of my tranny tunnel.

Any Opinions on the Subject? (That was rhetorical) :laugh:

Thanks,

Stretch

Stretch,

How thick is that stuff? It would be grea to find a thin product that could be used with the jute rather than in place of it.

OP
stretchit2

stretchit2

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
LegalBill,

Good question, I didn't know so I went back to look at the specs and they didn't indicate how thick the Reflect a Cool product was, but my search led me to DEI and they have another product called Floor and Tunnel Shield that is only 3/16 in thickness and may work evening better than the first product.

Stretch

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
stretchit2 said:
LegalBill,

Good question, I didn't know so I went back to look at the specs and they didn't indicate how thick the Reflect a Cool product was, but my search led me to DEI and they have another product called Floor and Tunnel Shield that is only 3/16 in thickness and may work evening better than the first product.

Stretch

I used the DEI Floor and Tunnel Shield under the floorpans of my Nasty Boy. It's a nice product, well-made and sticks like crazy. Haven't got the exhaust system in place yet, so can't speak to its heat absorbing prowess, but it looks promising.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
stretchit2 said:
Roger,

This looks like a nice installation. I have a couple of other questions related to your installation.

Did you use some type of roller to get such a nice fit on the inside of the tunnel?
THERE ARE WOODEN ROLLERS YOU CAN BUY, I USED A BIG SOCKET.

It looks like on the interior you used dynamat and low e is that correct?
YES, DYNAMAT EXTREAME UNDER THE LOW-E.

Did you install new hardware (runners) for the seat?
YES, NEW RUNNERS, MY ORIGINALS WERE BEYOND REPAIR.

And finally, did the dynamat and/or the low e go under the seat rails?
DYNAMAT ONLY. THEN THE METAL STRIP AND WOOD STRIP IN THAT ORDER. THE LOW-E WAS CUT AROUND THE RUNNERS.

Thanks,

Stretch

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Legal Bill said:
stretchit2 said:
Fellow Healeyadicts, I found a product at Vic Hubbard Speed and Marine and I am considering using it to line the inside (non interior side) of my tranny tunnel. Reflect a Cool Reflective Adhesive Foil Any Opinions on the Subject? (That was rhetorical) :laugh: Thanks, Stretch

Stretch, How thick is that stuff? It would be grea to find a thin product that could be used with the jute rather than in place of it.

The thickness is a sheet of fiberglass with some adhesive. Very thin.
Roger

Tproject

All,

I used a product called Kool Mat. It is used by Nascar & The Space Program To block heat.

it is only 1/8" thick, fiberglass bonded to silicon under heat & pressure. Works great but it is a bit pricey. The other downside is that you have to use 3M Super adhesive to bond the jute & carpet to it.
It will fit under the seat rails.

Tom

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
How thick is that stuff? It would be grea to find a thin product that could be used with the jute

No Bill Jute is not a compatible thermal material if it gets wet it will stink and it has no structural or good thermal characteristics.--Fwiw--Keoke

rather than in place of it.

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I used 3M adhesive spray for the side panels. It works well and comes undone if needed. My floor mat slides around some, need to think about fastening it somehow, maybe some snaps like on the tunnel cover.

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
I did not want to spend so much on the hush mat insulation when installing my new carpet set, So i bought the insulation with foil on one side and juke on the other... I just put the foil side down on all the floors and exterior of the tunnel, And layed the new carpet over the juke. This insulation is about 1/2 inch thick and really cuts down on heat and motor bay noise! A very big difference! Plus the new carpets lay much better over the tunnel and floors. $24 dollors at pep boys, Enough to do the whole car almost..... I had a half roll of the same stuff from a different project to finish the job!

ABH_V8

I am using kevlar matting which is only 2mm thick and an excellent insulator. So far a great result.On the inside I have used a ceramic / aluminium mat which is glued to the fibreglass, and with a 302ci v8 it is severely tested. Can supply details of suplier if required.To stop the carpet mats moving around I have used 2" wide self adhesive velcro tape which is quick and cheap and you don't have to drill holes in the floor for the snaps.Hope this helps

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
...ah, so thats why the carpets has snaps..lol)

Well what other good reason could you justify them for. Certainly you don't think they were trying to hold those stink-in wet carpets in HUH--Keoke-- :laugh: