• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General TR Tires: Opinions/Insights Welcome

MHW

Freshman Member
Country flag
I just received new Panasport 15x5.5 wheels for my TR4A. I'm retiring my original ARE Silverstones.

My question(s): What tires (size & brand) do you recommend? I've been zeroing in on 195-65-15's from Michelin, Goodyear Eagle GT, or Yokohama. But lately, I've been looking at 205-65-15's. The 205-65 seems to be closer to the correct diameter, but will they be too wide for my stock car? I think 195-70's would be about right if I could find any.

I've read all the posts on the site, so I know this is a tired subject, but it's very fresh for me, and I'd be most appreciative of any info and pixs that you folks could provide. Thnx.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Welcome to BCF!

First question: what are your driving plans? Easy trips in the countryside, weekend concours competitions, local shows, racing, etc.?

Tom

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I would suggest you add Bridgestone Potenzas to the tires you are looking at in that size. I have been very satisfied with them.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
+1 on Potenzas.

FWIW, I run 205/55 tires on 5.5" TR6 wheels on my TR3. They are definitely shorter than stock, but I like the better handling and lower ride height.

OP
M

MHW

Freshman Member
Country flag
Most of my driving is around the neighborhood, with occasional longer tours where I might enjoy more sporty driving.

Welcome to BCF!

First question: what are your driving plans? Easy trips in the countryside, weekend concours competitions, local shows, racing, etc.?

Tom

JerryVV

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I've been looking at tires too for my 4A as I need to replace the Bridgestone Potenza RE71 which ar no longer available in 205-60-15.The reviews on the current Potenza's in this size are not good and I even had my local Firestone / Bridgestone store tell me to stay away from them. I really liked the RE71's. Noise and poor wear are the reasons given and confirmed by the local dealer. He suggests a Firestone HP and they do look good to me. Yokohamas and Sumotomos are rated highly too.The 205-60-15 are as close as you can get to the original 165-15 diameter and your speedometer will be accurate.

If anyone has Potenza RE71 in 205-60-15 I'd be willing to buy 1 or 2. I really only need to replace 2 tires.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
FWIW, Jerry, I have a pair of the Yoko S-drives in 205/55-15 and I'm not impressed with them. They seem noticeably less sticky than the old (and NLA) Potenza S-03 on the front (which will have to be replaced soon).

IIRC the RE71 was discontinued some 10 years ago; if you do manage to find some they will be too old to be safe.

JerryVV

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The Potenza's in 205-60-15 are the RE019 Grid and were not recomended. The Firestones are the Precision Sport. I'm looking at the Yoko Avid EnVigors or the Sumitomo HTR A/S PO1 as well. I liked the Bridgestones I have and would go back to them but no longer available. Yes they are over 10 years old but have no signs of cracking. The cracking seems to come from exposure to sunlight over long periods of time. None of that applies to our weather in NE Ohio. I'm sure any tire I buy will out perform them after this amount of time and number of heat cycles. I need to look at the diameter of some other sizes to widen my selection.

philman

Jedi Knight
i've been using dunlops for autocrossing my tr7.

JerryVV

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Just found the Goodyear Eagles in 205-60-15 and they look very promising to me. May take a hard look at those tires.

OP
M

MHW

Freshman Member
Country flag
I ended up getting 205-70-15's in Yokohama Avid Ascend. Correct for original diameter...look nice on the car.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I use Falken Ziex 912s 205/65-15 on the 250, no problems with tires rubbing, my 7" wide wheels do hit the upper a-arm brackets at full lock in reverse. I like the tires, but haven't had anything else on the car so nothing to compare them too. I will add that I went from a 185 or 195 to a 165 on my old solid axle 4a, and I really liked it on the skinny tires better, felt more light, agile and alive, maybe less ultimate cornering power, but if ultimate cornering power is your goal maybe you should drive something besides a TR4 :smile: That being said I went to the wider tires on the TR250 because I wanted to be a little more competitive in the local club autocrosses.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
...I really liked it on the skinny tires better, felt more light, agile and alive, maybe less ultimate cornering power, but if ultimate cornering power is your goal maybe you should drive something besides a TR4...

That's why I keep sets of both wide and skinny & switch back and forth depending on driving plans. When by myself on a dry twisty road the skinny tires deliver what seems (to me) to be the quintessential period-correct driving experience.

OP
M

MHW

Freshman Member
Country flag
I found the right tires for my car. I put several sized tires on my new 15x5.5 Panasports, and tried them on the car (tire dealer was nice enough to mount the various tires/I mounted wheels on car.) I ended up buying 205/70's, which look great on the car. They fill up the wheel wells very nicely, and look great on the car. No fitment problems at all. Thanks to all who provided info, feedback, etc.