• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

WindShield Removal

QuickSilver

Jedi Trainee
I would like to change the rubber between my windshield and the body. I woudl like to address the over spray from PO.

How hard is it to remove the windshield? Any instructions?

DSCN1717.JPG

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Take it to a glass shop!

OP
QuickSilver

QuickSilver

Jedi Trainee
tony barnhill said:
Take it to a glass shop!

What kind of an hobbyist will I be if I parade my cars to a shop willy nilly :driving:

Let me clarify though, what I want to change is the rubber between the frame and the body.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
To do that, you have to remove the windshield assembly....putting the new rubber into the track at the bottom of the windshield frame is a little tricky but lots of soap works.....

Everybody has tips on how to reinstall the windshield assembly....I take the rivets out of the little covers under the windshield bracket that you see when you open the doors....then, I can at least see where the bolts go....I also don't use the OE bolts but, instead, either go get GM hood hinge bolts that are tapered or, in bad cases, tapered wood bolts of the correct size.

You've got to push the windshield assembly down far enough to align it with the holes in the body where the captured bolts are located....that sometimes takes 2 men and a boy - especially when fitting new rubber.

If nobody else comes on to tell you how they do that, I'll come back & tell you (it involves large wood clamps).

As I said, "take it to a glass shop."

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
It takes hours to do. I did mine recently and put it off for months for good reason. Getting the rubber into the track took the most amount of time - lots of soap and two guys pushing and pulling - tow guys groaning in the garage got me into trouble with the Mrs. Then having to cram yourself upside down, under the dash was a separate batch of fun (this is where I should have used the boy) Too much pressure and you can potentially crack the window while putting it in.

The '63 I just got was painted at one point in it's life and has this over spray. I gently stick my finger under the rubber and lift it up slightly. Then with the edge of a razor, carefully scrap off the access paint. It's been working well and looks pretty good. You can still tell that the car was re-painted but at least my rubber is clean.

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
Just so you know this is one of the WORST jobs on the whole car. Your going to need to remove the 2 center bolts and then 2 more on each side of the car. Then you can pull out the windshield frame. Thats the easy part. Your then going to have to completly disasemble the entire frame. If your very very lucky nothing will be rust welded or the brackets that hold the frame together will still be sound and usable. Once you get it down to that point and start trying to assemble stuff well thats when life starts to really suck and beer even cheap beer starts looking really good. God help you if you have the hard stuff around. If you get the frame back together without cracking the glass you can then take one side off and then slide the new rubber seal onto the botom track. Lubrication there is your friend and if you search some of my old posts I posted a lube that will make the job absolutely truely painless. Once everything is back together you then have to put it back on the car. I prefer the c clamp method as it will allow one person to do the job.

This job can take anywhere from 2 hours to 2 weeks. Or if you get lucky you can get a shop to do it for less than 200 bucks but when they are done they will tell you never to come back.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:lol:

This job is JUST as Stewart, Tony and Vince have stated. But if you're feelin froggy...

QuickSilver said:
What kind of an hobbyist will I be if I parade my cars to a shop willy nilly :driving:

Let me clarify though, what I want to change is the rubber between the frame and the body.

Gowan, then. It's only six bolts! :devilgrin:

<span style="font-style: italic">Some extra steps:

1) Invest in a couple swivel sockets:
7/16", quarter-inch drive and 9/16", 3/8" drive.

2) Find a dexterous ten-year-old. Strictly for reassembly of under-dash bolts.

3) Invest in several cases of CAB (CheapArseBeer. For YOU not th' kid).

4) Expect NOT to drive the car with a windscreen for a while.</span>

I've posted it here a number of times and after they've been thru it once, others agree: I'd rather do THREE clutch R&R's on an MGB than ONE roadster windshield.

...and I worked on these cars for my bean money for decades.

<span style="font-style: italic">EDIT: If you ~DO~ take it to a shop, make certain they are responsible for glass replacement if they break it, and INSPECT to insure there are TWO bolts per side installed properly before you pay. This ~IS~ a fiddly, difficult task.</span>

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
awwwww come on guys.... everyone needs to do it at least ONCE...

How else are we to learn that when everyone says ""it's the WORST job to do on an MGB" that they ~really~ mean it :wink:

OP
QuickSilver

QuickSilver

Jedi Trainee
Well then Lads, it seems as if I will be enjoying the patina of red paint over rubber moulding for a while then.

Unless I get drunk one day........but the Wife usually locks me out of the garage on those occasions.

Thanks yah'all.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
I would have done it. At least once, maybe twice. But then, I'm a glutton for punishment like that :p

terriphill

Darth Vader
David and I replaced two. The first one we cracked the window trying to get it in. So...we started over with another. It is the closest we have ever come to divorce in 25 years!
The worst is the rubber seal. We soaped it, tugged, pulled, cursed, walked away and then started over again. It took about a half a day to get it installed.
If you choose to do this....be sure you choose good friends to help you.
David says he would rather chew on glass.

69MGC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Well I must have been really lucky then when I put new bottom seal on a windscreen of my 80 LE. True it wasn't easy but the way you guys describe it's worse than slam'n your @#&* in the door.

To get the rubber seal to halfway cooperate when reinstalling the windscreen I taped the bottom front edge back on itself to the outside edge of the bottom windscreen rail with some duct tape. A handyman's best friend. Then slid the assembly back into it's slots and carefully, oh so carefully used some ratchet straps to gently bring the bolt holes into alignment with the bolts. It took me a while but it worked for me. After all of the bolts were in place and tightened I removed the duct tape and the front edge of the seal popped right into place.

It's a tough job as the guys say but with a little ingenuity it can be done.

There's no guarantee that if you took it to a glass shop that A. They would know what the heck to do to replace a windscreen seal on your car or B. They wouldn't break the glass anyway. And if they break the glass they probably won't accept responsibility for replacing the broken glass.

Just my opinion and I bow to the more experienced among us.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I've done two. The first was a tough learning experience, but with the help received on this forum, it eventually came together. The second one was not that tough as I figured out a system for pulling the frame down into position with no effort and no stress on the glass using all new rubber. The pillar rubbers I have bought are crap. They start to deteriorate within a year after installation. Got one set from Moss the other from Vic. Brit. PJ

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Kev, I'd say I can do it in an afternoon, without any glass breakage or bloodletting... but I'd RATHER do three clutch replacements. Honest.

I've likely averaged one of those a year for the past twenty. Last two were a year ago, one on a pal's B the other on Herself's car. I'm done now. :wink:

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I've done enough that my first post portrays my status: "Take it to a glass shop!" I'm not doing anymore (& my '63 MGB & '68 MGC both need new windshields!).

Lynn Kirkpatrick

Jedi Hopeful
So does all of the pain and anguish come in replacing a roadster windshield? My 68 GT windshield has lot of chips and the lower corners are getting hazy from the plastic between the layers of glass. I had planned on replacing it, but I'm not into self-inflicted torture. Please tell me the GT is easier.
Thanks
Lynn

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
GT is much easier...you just need a little tool to get the weatherstripping filler strip in the weatherstripping after the windshield is in place....& you have to be careful not to bend any of the brightwork around the windshield...individual pieces aren't too expensive but if you have to replace the whole thing find somebody who has a whole bunch of it on a shelf (hehehe).

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
Surely the factory originally did not spend days (or even hours) on a windshield. What was their trick? I suppose the dash may have not been in place?