• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A "wind wings" TR3A

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Does anyone use these things on their TR2/3?

I'm wondering just how useful they are, as well as how much "back and forth" movement on the hinges is possible. Can the wings be adjusted to stick out "sideways" and be almost perpendicular to the side of the car? (I thought I might be able to use the wings to hold those convex "wide view" outside rear view mirrors.)

Thanks.
Tom

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I do (well, did and will again). Benefit at freeway speeds is dubious, but they definitely make a difference at 40-50 mph.

Not sure about the mirrors, as they do vibrate somewhat in the wind. Seems like that would make the image in the mirror shake too. But yes, they can be adjusted perpendicular or even forward, if you want.

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi There Nutmeg;

I had them on My Cobra and a friend of mine has them on his TR3:

They really do perform Great: If you don`t like the feel of the Swirling Wind; Get them! The wind will go away; If that`s what your looking for?

Relative the mirrors; ??????????????????????

Regards, Russ

PeterK

Yoda
TR3 is unlike a TR6 in that the "Swirling wind" is more like galeforce wind; It's more like driving a motorcycle than a roadster.

We have the wind wings on the 3A, they do help a lot. No you can't stick them out perpendicular because the wind will just blow them back in. Adjust while driving to deflect the wind off your face. But it's still like driving a cycle and FUN; the wind never goes away in a TR3.

They get in the way of the side curtains a little. You just have to push them all the way in. The bottom of ours has a folded section in the plexi to clear the dash.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I use them and they do work well. The brackets allow full adjustment -- all the way out to completely tucked in.

I replaced the little grub screws with little cap-head bolts that take an allen wrench. Those grub screws supplied can be difficult to get tight w/o damaging the bracket.

Often when driving solo w/ the tonneau half on I just use the left one. Lazy & strange perhaps but it works.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Wow - thanks for the quick replies. Sounds like something to pursue.

Today I cleaned and polished the starter solenoid, the dashpots, the rocker cover, and the fuel line between the two carbs. Also cleaned, polished and repainted the windshield wiper motor assembly.

Getting psyched about TeeYah's slow but positive progress. Here's a quick before and after as of 6pm today.

Tom

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
NutmegCT said:
...I thought I might be able to use the wings to hold those convex "wide view" outside rear view mirrors.

I think that would stick out quite a bit.

When I got a respray the body guy welded up the hole for the wing mirror (he also welded all the holes for chrome TR lettering... probably thought I wanted the low rider look).

I redrilled those other holes but decided to try driving w/o the mirror and thought thatwas mostly fine. On those occasions when I do want a side mirror I have one that clips on an LTD peg. Crude but effective, probably not compatible with wind wings though.

I see that Moss now has one that clamps onto the tenon plate, perhaps that is what you were referring to.

Mirror1.JPG

Mirror2.JPG

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Geo - that is exactly what I'm looking for. The one in your pictures is different from the 165-175 at Moss. Their's is rectangular and clamps to the windscreen frame; yours is circular and clips to a LTD stud.

Where did you get yours? Do you know the part number?

Thanks.
Tom

PeterK

Yoda
Tom,

Looks like a standard round mirror head on a bent piece of aluminum from the hardware store and a lift-the-dot. DIY.

Great idea but it would probably hit the wind wing on my car.

Twosheds

Darth Vader
My friend had a mirror clamped to the tenon plate of his TR2. It might have been the Moss one. It flew off while driving on Rt.15 as we caravanned to New York. There was an anxious moment in the TR3 behind him.

Oh, my point is that he also has wind wings on the TR2.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Twosheds said:
My friend had a mirror clamped to the tenon plate of his TR2... It flew off while driving on Rt.15...

If you look closely at the first photo you'll see a length of stout carpet thread connecting the mirror to one of the aeroscreen brackets. Yes, it's enough to hold the mirror should it come undone.

Peter is correct, this is the remains of the old wing mirror attached to a homemade base. Got the idea when a friends Lucas mirro base was broken off by vandals. Gave him the base from my old mirror then wondered what I could do with what was left.

G

Tom, tell me there is more than a bungee cord holding your battery down. When, not if, that thing pops, you have the potential for massive damage under the bonnet.

fogdot

Jedi Hopeful
I didn't like the mirrors way out of reach, so I used a motorcycle bar end mirror on my TR3. I think it's the perfect solution for the left side. Still working on the right side.
I'll post pictures this evening.
Dave

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Bill - Sounds like you've got some personal experience with a popping bungee cord. Thanks for the headsup. When I got the car in February there was nothing holding the battery at all. As I've only driven it about 10 miles since I got it (failed starter, bent wheels, weather, etc.), I put that cord on as a temp.

After repairing the rusty battery box, I'm getting a battery box liner as well as j-bolts, retainer, etc.

John - were you on the "receiving end" of that flying mirror?

Thanks.
Tom

Twosheds

Darth Vader
NutmegCT said:
John - were you on the "receiving end" of that flying mirror?

Nope, TRclassic3 (the driver of the yellow TR3 in the photo) was the recipient. I can only imagine the excitement caused by the flying mirror, so I'll let TRclassic3 tell the story.

I was towing The Blue TR3 and leading the way, so I missed the excitement. I did hear a transmission on the walkie-talkie, "Was that a mirror?"

The TR2 that threw the mirror is behind Dale the red truck in the photo and, therefore, not visible.

Attachments

• 5963-Caravan.jpg
    5963-Caravan.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 78

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
I had the Moss wind wings on my last TR3A. But, like most repo parts, they aren't the quality of the originals.

The brackets that clamp to the windscreen are made from a die-cast metal...probably zinc. Be very carefull about over-tightening the set screws as they break quite easily. They will also break when constantly buffeted by the wind coming off of other traffic (class 8 trucks in particular). Of course no one sells the brackets seperately so you have to buy a new pair of wings to get new parts.

I went thru two sets of these things. My next step was to have my local car-friendly machine shop make some new brackets from steel and have them chromed...but I sold the car before I went that far.

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
I've had my bugeye over twenty yrs without wings til this year, and I love them. Mine take an allen wrench, witch I carry in the same container I have the side curtain screws. The bugeye, like the 3, will always have wind as part of the drive.

TRclassic3

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Not much to tell....was in the moment of enjoying the purr of the motor and the beautiful PA mountain scenery when I caught the flash of sun off chrome as it hurtled toward me at 60. A slight but responsive move to the right avoided contact as I heard the sound of breaking glass as it hit the pavement next to the car.

I think I like that concept mentioned of a safety line.