• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3A Wind Wing Hardware

mapleaf

Country flag
Does anyone know of a source for the Amco wind wing hardware that secures the wind wing to the tenon plate? I "stupidly" overtightened and broke one on the weekend and I'm looking for an alternative to buying a new set. Thanks

OP
M

mapleaf

Country flag
Thanks poolboy, you're right, at $60. they are pricey considering Moss has a complete wind wing set at around $80. It would be great if they sold them individually, but to have 3 spares in case I make the same dumb mistake again isn't practical, and if I did, I probably wouldn't be able to find the spares anyway. Right now I have a temporary fix and will keep an eye on e-bay.
Thanks again,
Barry

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Alternatively, you could buy the set and then sell the extras to other people in the same situation, on eBay...

Kind of a hijack, but related. After reading this yesterday and going to the Moss site to look at the price of the complete set, I clicked on the mounting instructions link realized that Moss has got these things wrong. I got a set from them last year, set up the way the instructions show, and thought it was just a manufacturing error -- but the instructions are for the way I received them -- kinda backwards.

I reversed the clamps, so that the fat side of the clamp with the set-screw faces INSIDE the car. This works better two ways:
1) The thinner side out, doesn't push the side curtains as far away from the tenon plate, when both are in use.
2) With the set-screw to the inside, the slot will step over the windshield frame allowing the clamp to push further onto the tenon plate at the top clamp. If it's the other way around, the set-screw is sort of barely on the edge of the tenon plate.

I have never seen an original set, so I don't <span style="font-style: italic">know</span> for a fact that this is true -- BUT -- my car came to me with set-screw marks on the tenon plate from a pre-1983 installation of wind wings: ON THE INSIDE of the tenon plate.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Not too long ago there was a UK ebay seller out there that sold the wings, with a storage case included for less than $50 I think. Didn't spot him again, but if I do I'll post a followup.

Randy

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Moseso said:
Kind of a hijack, but related. After reading this yesterday and going to the Moss site to look at the price of the complete set, I clicked on the mounting instructions link realized that Moss has got these things wrong. I got a set from them last year, set up the way the instructions show, and thought it was just a manufacturing error -- but the instructions are for the way I received them -- kinda backwards.

I reversed the clamps, so that the fat side of the clamp with the set-screw faces INSIDE the car. This works better two ways:
1) The thinner side out, doesn't push the side curtains as far away from the tenon plate, when both are in use.
2) With the set-screw to the inside, the slot will step over the windshield frame allowing the clamp to push further onto the tenon plate at the top clamp. If it's the other way around, the set-screw is sort of barely on the edge of the tenon plate.

I have never seen an original set, so I don't <span style="font-style: italic">know</span> for a fact that this is true -- BUT -- my car came to me with set-screw marks on the tenon plate from a pre-1983 installation of wind wings: ON THE INSIDE of the tenon plate.

I just checked my waiting to be restored TR3 which hasn't been on the road since 1976 and the Amco ones on it are installed exactly as you describe with the thinner side of the clamp out and the fat side with set screw on the inside.

I noticed that with the Amco ones that are installed on this car the plexiglass is flared out at the bottom and not totally flat but someone is selling what is supposed to be some NOS ones on e-Bay which are flat. Did Amco change how they were making these?

Scott

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
These were supposed to be for an A-H.
100_0440.jpg

Twosheds

Darth Vader
HerronScott said:
I just checked my waiting to be restored TR3 which hasn't been on the road since 1976 and the Amco ones on it are installed exactly as you describe with the thinner side of the clamp out and the fat side with set screw on the inside.

I noticed that with the Amco ones that are installed on this car the plexiglass is flared out at the bottom and not totally flat but someone is selling what is supposed to be some NOS ones on e-Bay which are flat. Did Amco change how they were making these?

Scott

I have the old wind wings and they are flat.

They are installed offset to the inside of the car because they would interfere with the sidecurtains if mounted towards the outside.

PeterK

Yoda
I have old wings on my 58 and the bottoms are bent up a little to go around the ends of the dash capping. It allows the wings to be closed enough not to interfere with the side curtains.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
PeterK said:
I have old wings on my 58 and the bottoms are bent up a little to go around the ends of the dash capping. It allows the wings to be closed enough not to interfere with the side curtains.

Peter,

That's exactly it! I just went and took another look at them and it does allow the bottom to clear the dash capping.

dcp_1733.jpg

dcp_1734.jpg

dcp_1736.jpg

Scott

Twosheds

Darth Vader
I think my flat wind wings are shorter (do not hang down as far) than yours; therefore the bottom doesn't need to be bent out to clear the dash capping when folded in for sidecurtain installation.

Maybe AMCO made some different styles through the years.