• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wheel Bearings

mylesw

Jedi Hopeful
Hello

Somewhere on this site in the past I have seen a post which says that the wheel bearing felt seals that are provided new are too thick and need to be cut to the correct size. Can someone point me to the appropriate post or let me know if this is true? I bought my seals from bp northwest.

Not having done it before, what is the advice on packing the bearings? How much grease should I put it? Do I need to push the grease right into the bearing races? What sort of grease should I use? Grateful for any advice here or a pointer to a "how-to" article.

Thanks for your help.

Myles

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Myles,
I'm not sure about the felt issue. When I checked my TR3 the felt was in great condition so I didn't replace it.
Yes, force the grease into the bearing with your palm and if you like a tad in the race itself but a properly greased bearing will cover the race.
I put a little extra grease on the spindle for any emergency dry bearing issues while on the road, it won't go anywhere.
The bearing unit should be nicely covered and the grease forced into the bearing by sliding it across your palm so the grease is forced into and between the rollers by the cage. You don't pack the whole area within the hub but cover the bearings well.
Any modern disc brake wheel bearing grease will exceed what was initially used and a synthetic is very good.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I've heard a lot of stories about the felt being a little thick. Not really enough to cause operational problems, but enough to upset the usual "tighten until it drags then back off" method of adjusting the wheel bearings.

Best advice I've seen (and this is in one of the Triumph manuals somewhere) is to leave the seal out at first and make a trial fitting to determine the proper position of the nut. Then mark it with a punch (or a Sharpie will do if the surface is clean), remove the hub again and install the seal. Then reinstall to the marked position.

If you're worried about it, you can always check the bearings again after a few days driving, to see if they've gotten loose.

To amplify a bit on packing the bearings, what you want to do is force grease into the gap between the large end of the cage and the inner race, until the grease oozes out all along the rollers (indicating the inner cavity is full). I put a smear of grease on my (clean) left palm, then use the edge of the cage to scrape it off. Repeat as necessary until it's full.

Then I like to put another smear over the outside of the cage & rollers, plus a thick smear on the outer race. IMO, that helps form a 'dam' to hold grease inside the bearing if it gets hot enough to liquefy. But I don't bother putting any more in the hub or on the axle.

FWIW, I also like to plug the hole in the dust cap. No sense leaving it open for dirt to get inside, IMO. And I have never gotten the trick with using a screw in the hole to remove the dust cap to work.

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I put my wheel bearings on while watching the hub position with a dial indicator. I know exactly when the hub stopped moving, and the felt was fully compressed. Tighten a bit more for preload.

T

Tinster

Myles-

Here's an on-line "How-To" with photos that
you should find helpful. It demonstrates
what Randall says how to pack the bearings
with red wheel bearing grease. Purchase new
dust caps. You will wreck the old ones getting
them off. Good Luck.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/260591/wheelBearingsFinal

Been there, done that.

Another Rookie, myself

PeterK

Yoda
All the new seals I purchased were too thick and I used a new razor blade to remove a little less than 1/2 of the felt. The original thickness prevented the hub from seating properly.

The new felt seals should be soaked in oil overnight. I just put mine felt-side down into a jar lid with a little motor oil. When installing them be sure that the felt faces away from the hub (i.e. towards the inside of the car). Gently tap the metal of the seal into the recess in the back of the hub.

Opa

Jedi Trainee
for easy bearing cap removal I drilled the cap and spot welded a 1/4 inch nut on top.I use a 1/4 x 2 inch bolt to remove and a 1/4 x 1/2 as a plug.