• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Front wheel bearings

carpecursusII

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I'm looking for some opinions. I am buying new wheel bearings and obviously have options. TRF kit is $125 a side for everything, moss kit is $25 for bearings and seal, and finally I can buy all Timkin bearings and a seal from rockauto for about $50 a side. So whats the best choice?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The RockAuto option should be fine, as long as they actually ship you Timken bearings. But when I ordered wheel bearings from them, I got a mixture of "equivalent" bearings from National and SKF (I think it was). They worked fine (several years now), but I was somewhat unhappy with the substitution. Then the last time I ordered from RA, they just cancelled the order a week later, saying the Gates hose was out of stock. Their website still shows it as available ...

Also, check your cart carefully before you commit to buy. They have a habit of shipping things from different warehouses, and charging you separate shipping for each source. I've seen the shipping charges be twice what the item cost (or more).

Next time, I'll buy from TRF.

OP
C

carpecursusII

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I have checked summit racing, they have the bearings but at a much higher cost, it was closer to $80 a side and that did not include a grease seal. My question really is are the timkin bearing worth the time and money or is what moss is providing in the kit good enough?

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I just did the front end on the F150 and looked at the Timken, they had a polymer cage and the National was metal. Went with the National and they work great, the truck rolls much better than what was in it, which had a polymer cage.

Wayne

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I just did the front end on the F150 and looked at the Timken, they had a polymer cage and the National was metal. Went with the National and they work great, the truck rolls much better than what was in it, which had a polymer cage.

Wayne
the timken from trf are all metal. Yes you pay more for Timken bearings, but consider the cost of the total front end compared with what extra you will pay for the bearings. Further once I put the Timken bearings in I am very confident that they will last the life of this car with my limited mileage (about 2000 mi. Per year).
Charley

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I've used RockAuto several times to source Timkin bearings and haven't had any trouble. On a non-bearing part when I had a problem with the order I called and they were very good. So if you go with Timkin I still would recommend them.

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Yes, Timken for sure if it's a metal cage. Might be old stock, which is no big deal.

Wayne