• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Waterless Coolant

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I picked this up off the Triumph forum

The Product and its benfits can be located by Searching "Evans Waterless coolent "
Does anyone have information about "Waterless Coolants". In an episode of Wheeler Dealer January 2013 they restored a TR6 and raved about a "New Revolutionary Waterless Coolant" that never needs to be replaced https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDCOGIn2ebI. Not an additive but a product that completely replaces traditional water based coolants. They quoted 90GBP (approx $150) as the cost. A lot cheaper and simpler than installing an electric fan, larger radiator, etc etc. I would also like to keep my TR3A as original as possible, but also not overheat while stuck in slow traffic on a hot day.

Jay Leno also discusses Evans Waterless Coolant at https://www.jaylenosgarage.com/extras...ngine-coolant

I am thinking this also might be a good way to control rust when car is in long term storage

Last edited by a moderator:

Coastalman

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Re: Waterless coolent

One of my fellow Healey friends here in town is using it on his Bugeye. I have placed a call to him to find out what his forum name is so you and he can get together.
Charlie

BigGreen

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag

First step is to get rid of the water in the system with a special product.
After that flush the new coolant is used to fill up
Because of the difference in boilingpoint they say the cooling is better and there is less pressure building up
Also the spilling over would not occur anymore

If you ever have to fill up don't use water
You will have to start all over again

I wish it was cheaper ...

Hot Wings

Please do at least a little research into this before you spend any cash. There is plenty of information on this type of product available on the internet. It pops up as something new and wonderful every 10 years or so.

It has exactly ONE advantage. It doesn't need to be under pressure to keep from boiling. The rest is pure marketing, and rather misleading and incomplete IMHO.

MSDS's and high-school chemistry/thermodynamics are your friends.

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag

Keoke,
I have just rebuilt my 64 Jag MK2 3.8 MOD and since I had a completely dry system, I decided to try Evans Waterless Coolant. The lack of pressure and no corrosion appealed to me. It is really slippery stuff! I used it for the engine-run in on a stand, but I don't have the engine in the car and it will be some time before I do, so I am afraid I cannot give you an "operational" report. Seems good so far :smile:.

Lin

OP
Keoke

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

:Charlies friend: Bill Reid Says:

Hi George, the car is just coming off a restoration. So I don't have too much experience with it....everything has been fine so far. I first learned about it from the British car show "Wheeler Dealers".....Ed the mechanic on the show swore by it....according to my research, it is also used by a number of high end racing teams. The brand I use is Evans....expensive, but worth it if it does the job.

Responses are looking pretty good--Keoke

OK Thanks Lin--:congratulatory:

HEALEYJAG

Jedi Warrior

Also saw it on the show...will be putting into the 100 once the weather breaks.....will send a update when it happens

Pete

Country flag

Not a fan myself, and with a half-dozen (6) cars at present, I'll be sticking with a half & half water/BMW Blue antifreeze cocktail. Changed every three (3) years or so, and there's no problem with corrosion.

why

Jedi Trainee
Country flag

Agree with "Hot Wings," after 50 years of fooling with "furrin" cars this type of product keeps popping up, if it were really all it claims why would it not be in general use, in late '60s if you did not use Peak antifreeze in your Alfa, the engine would be destroyed etc. etc--they destroyed themselves for other reasons, actually bodies all rotten cause of cheap steel from Russia. How about when steam arises to alert you to overheating you save a warped head. After all those years and cars, never used an alternative coolant, oil additive, etc. etc. and like the millions who just use the plain-old stuff as recommended in owners guide and bought off shelves at local hardware store or big box autostore and not a coolant or oil related problem.

Healey 100

Jedi Warrior

I would be very wary of this expensive product along with other additives claiming to improve the cooling of your engine -- like Water Wetter. I'm not saying they don't work -- just that their effects are likely marginal at best.

For one thing, they are not easy to evaluate. Even cars with weak cooling systems, like the Austin Healey, don't just run out and overheat every time you start them up. They overheat under particular conditions (high traffic, strong tailwinds, very hot day, long hills, etc, etc.) that are not easily duplicated.

Having a much higher boiling point is not necessarily a good thing either. Boiling water actually removes a ton of heat from the engine. If the coolant boils at a higher temperature, your engine is still going to run too hot and possibly be damage. It just won't make steam.

Most of the heat transfer resistance from the engine to the air is on the air side of the radiator. The coolant has little effect on the air-side heat transfer.

Water or water/ethylene glycol mix has a very good combination of heat capacity and thermal conductivity. It is hard to improve on these properties much with most liquids that would be suitable to work in a cooling system. (mercury or sodium might be better but forget that!)

If your engine runs hot, better to clean the cooling system thoroughly to remove scale, rust, etc; get a better fan; install a higher performance radiator; check and repair leaking head gaskets or cracked cylinder heads -- hot combustion gasses getting into coolant will definitely make the car run hot; set ignition timing and fuel mixture properly, make sure the centrifugal advance is working.

My own Healey engine has always stayed reasonably cool, even in 100 degree weather. It will overheat in 90F plus weather in traffic jams. But even that takes a very long jam. I have learned to avoid those traffic jams!