• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 waterless coolant

steve123

Freshman Member
Hi Guy's

has anyone had any experience with waterless coolant, is it any good ? I live in Australia and the TR6 runs pretty hot in the summer, be interested in any comments

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Steve,

"Waterless Coolant"?? Whats that????????????????

Russ

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Here in the states most guys running waterless are using Evans.

https://www.evanscooling.com/

I have no experience with the stuff, but from what I've read, the reviews are mixed. It's supposed to be permanent and very good at fighting corrosion. It's boiling point is very high, but it's ability to absorb heat is less then water or a 50/50 glycol mix.

Sorry i can't offer any direct info concerning the stuff, but it is intriguing.

dklawson

Yoda
I know that the guys on Wheeler Dealers filled the cooling system of their project TR6 with Evans Coolant. Of course, they don't keep cars for long so they never provide follow-up data on it.

When I was at VIR last month I notice that the pro shop there was selling Evans Coolant and the prep chemicals to clean and dry the cooling system. I was there for other parts so didn't have a long discussion with them about it. When I inquired they sort of shrugged it off and said that they have had no complaints back from people who tried it.

The following are my thoughts (and these are just my thoughts... not backed by anything). The claims are for a higher boiling point and corrosion prevention. Having a higher boiling point means it will take longer to boil over and that the system pressure will be lower. It does not mean that the engine will run cooler. Therefore, I think this would be great for a car that is seldom driven and stored for long periods but maybe not as good for one driven regularly in hot climates. Yes... it would not boil over, but if the heat transfer is not as good the engine would probably run hotter. That may be OK if we (collectively we) could stop being concerned when the temperature needle always rides between the N and H on a CNH calibrated gauge. However, most people I know with British cars start to get very concerned anytime the needle moves above N.

vivdownunder

Jedi Warrior
Not tried it myself, but Evans Waterless Coolant was a sponsor at our National Rally last weekend. In discussion one engine builder said he used it to break in a new camshaft at high revs and for the first time the engine didn't overheat (being stationary there's no airflow over the radiator). Using waterless coolant meant he didn't need to do a stop-start break in while the engine cooled down. Another owner commented that over prolonged use there was no brown sludge build-up whatsoever in his block.

General concensus was it's pricey, but gets the job done.

Viv

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
A friend has been using the Evans in his Morgan for quite some time now and highly recommends it. I just ordered 2 gallons from amazon. Some race tracks will only allow the use of the waterless coolant.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
FWIW, I tried the waterless approach many years ago (with straight ethylene glycol, not the Evans mix as I don't think they were even in business then), with a TR3A. As noted above, the engine ran much hotter with the waterless coolant (so hot that the temperature gauge was quickly ruined from being overheated), but never boiled over. The experiment eventually ended in disaster when the engine swallowed a valve.

IMO using the waterless coolant was not the cause of the valve failure; but the problem causing the engine to run hot (overly lean mixture at cruise) was. All the waterless coolant did was let us (it was my Dad's TR3A) continue driving the car without finding and fixing the underlying cause(s) of the persistent overheating.

So, again IMO, it is a Bad Idea to use waterless coolant to cover up a cooling problem. It probably works OK if the car didn't have problems before, but it doesn't magically fix existing problems (which can bite you when you least expect it).