• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Stinking, no good, ratzenfratzen fuses!

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Blew two more fuses to the radio yesterday when I had the B out. Didn't blow the 17amp one under the hood this time, just the radio. I have a half dozen extra ones in the glove box, so I'm prepared. But this is getting ANNOYING!

Last 4 times it blew, I had a cd in. Draw more power doing that maybe? And it happens when I turn up the volume.

Can I go up to a bigger fuse (in amps) to see if that will solve the problem?

((I think we need a rant/rave forum here!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
What size fuse do you have in there now? Fuses blow for a reason, which is to protect the wires from melting, if you have the proper size fuse in there according to the specs of the radio, I would be very hesitant about putting in larger fuse until I found the cause of the large power draw.

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
3 amp? The fuses say Buss AGC 3A 250V.

Radio specs? Umm, it's a JVC, 18 preset stations, a cd player, removable face plate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
I know. I need to know how many watts the stereo is and the speakers, right?

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Radio is 50 watts x 4. Door speakers are Infinity, 75 watts peak, back speakers are Sony 180 watts peak. I think. I can't find the boxes anywhere. Dahubby has them tucked away somewhere in the garage--if he kept them.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
JB Look at the radio instructions and see what they call out for fuse size. The current modern radio systems seem to use a fuse with a 5-or-6 amp rating. If you can determine from the literature for the radio what its maximum current draw is a fuse size can be calculated. Also you might just try a 3A Slow Blow fuse it may cure the problem.___Keoke
No JB ,What is needed is the "Current" consumed by the radio expressed in Amperes.

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
JB Look at the radio instructions and see what they call out for fuse size. The current modern radio systems seem to use a fuse with a 5-or-6 amp rating. If you can determine from the literature for the radio what its maximum current draw is a fuse size can be calculated. Also you might just try a 3A Slow Blow fuse it may cure the problem.___Keoke
No JB ,What is needed is the "Current" consumed by the radio expressed in Amperes.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks. I'll have to wait to find out what dahubby did with the radio book. I can't even reset the clock in that bloody thing right now. It should be in the glove box, but nah, that would be too simple. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
OK JB, LOL---Keoke

Maybe two Adam,but even thats cutting it pretty close---

Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Yes, if you put a big enough fuse in there the circuit will be 'protected' by your $400 wiring harness which will melt to save the $100 radio.

If you can get access to an ammeter it is pretty easy to measure the draw of any accessory by placing the meter in series with the device. I have charted the draw of everything on my cars (slow day I guess) so I know what the current requirements are for any combination.

Of course the other possibility is a short which would blow any size fuse -- but more likely it is just drawing more than 3a. And to answer your other question, a CD playing should draw more than just radio due to the motor.

I expect the wiring for the stereo will have a capacity much higher than the 3 amps but knowing the exact draw will enable you to be sure you have a big enough gauge wire and appropriate fuse protection.

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
PFFFFFFFFFFFSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTT! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
AHA! Dahubby's home. He thinks he's going to shower and flop on the sofa and watch football. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

John S Farrington

Jedi Warrior
The fuse spec that you quoted was "3A x 250W". A 3 amp fuse is not enough for a radio with CD. Go to at least a 10 amp and you will have longer fuse life. You should also find out why the 17 amp fuse blew by isolating that circuit.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hello John, I think that is about right.However, for JB's peace of mind and not being able to see the actual installation I just wanted to sneak up on the value. We will try a 4 AMP Slow Blow and see if it holds.-OK JB---Keoke

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
4 amp slow blow? I can buy some of those. I figured it was because the cd player is pulling more power. Thanks you guys, you're the best!

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yes JB Slow Blow fuses are Quite common, go to a good electronic supply and specifically ask for the Slow blow type.If 4Amp is not available take 5 Amp ones will be OK. Let us know how you get on.--Regards---Keoke------ Hold the Kudos we ain't fixed it yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif---OH JB there should be two fuses used by the radio can you tell me what size the other one is??_Keoke