• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Step-by-Step TR3 tuneup

M

Member 10617

For new (and inexperienced) TR3 owners like me, the thought of performing a tune-up (even a "minor" tune-up) can be daunting. There are instructions in some of the standard manuals, but these instructions leave out many important steps and precautions, and they are written as though the reader already knows a LOT about auto mechanics.

I think that the fear of keeping one of these cars going is the main reason (after cost) why people avoid realizing their dream of owning and driving these cars. It certainly was the main consideration for me.

Now that we are in the winter months ("the so-called Dark Ages" here in the east), these cars are tucked into their garages awaiting springtime and... the tune-up that comes with the new driving season.

I would like to put together a STEP-BY-STEP guide to performing a minor tune-up on the TR3, with the expert help of forum participants. Just the basic steps, techniques, cautions, and precautions. If I can achieve this, with your help, I will prepare a WORD document and email it to anyone who requests it (no charge, and with proper attribution to Forum participants).

If you are willing to participate, please describe -- from your experience -- what needs to be done for a "minor" tune-up and I will collate and edit the responses when it seems that I have all that is needed.

If, however, there is a manual already available (and not out-of-print), please recommend..

OP
M

Member 10617

Art,

Many thanks. I'll take a look and will supplement the text with questions to the Forum, should I have some.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
martx-5 said:
Randall (TR3driver) has a link in this thread to Bob Schaller's "More BS about TR's". In it is a good section about tune-ups.

Edit: Here's a direct link...
Note that, on that page, there is a link near the upper left labeled "File". If you click on "File" and choose "Download Original", you can save it to your hard drive, which IMO is much more convenient. You may need to download and install Adobe Acrobat Reader in order to use the copy on your hard drive, but it is free and easy (and a good thing to have anyway).
https://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/

Another advantage of downloading the document is that the link above will eventually break.

If it is broken, or you want to see some of the other documents available, try this one

PS, I'm putting up a (less than perfect) copy of a Haynes manual that also has some good information and pictures of the various tune-up operations. Unfortunately it's rather large at 104 Mb so it will take awhile to download.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Randall - I just downloaded the Bob Schaller pdf manual. Thanks. Please post a link to the Haynes pages when that download is ready.

Thanks.
Tom

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The "try this one" link above will take you to a list of everything I've uploaded.

But here's a direct link to the Haynes

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
TR3driver said:
The "try this one" link above will take you to a list of everything I've uploaded.

I just spent about a half an hour downloading that wealth of knowledge, including the Haynes manual. I had a few of them, but now I've got some real reading material for the weekend!
grin.gif

Thank you very much Randall. :cheers:

OP
M

Member 10617

Among the various things that came with my car was a copy of Bob Schaller's "More BS about TR's: Triumph Workshop." For some reason I had overlooked it, but you reminded me of it and I retrieved it. Looks like it will be of use on the tune-up.

I also have a copy of the Haynes manual.

I will review those pages as well as "Service Instruction Manual" and see if I can cobble together a step-by-step procedure manual for myself..

Many thanks.