• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

one step forward four @#$%* steps back

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
So, got my daughter off to camp for the next month or so (counselor), dropped in at a friend's mother's 80th birthday - she (the mother) loves us and is pi**ed off at all her children to varying degrees. I get home and decide it's time to get reacquainted with Ms. Triss. Get out there and

1. Figure out how to reassemble the overflow tank bracket and reinstall it (check)

2. Remove the rad and shroud so I can reinstall the fan.

2(a) straighten the fins and repaint where I scraped the rad pulling it out.

3. Examine the engine and realize that I should replace the fanbelt before I put the fan on.

4. try to figure out why the VB belt (right number I checked) is about an inch shorter than the existing belt and therefore doesn't go on.

5. Realize (good thing) that I had not yet put on the proper bottom bolt for the alternator.

6. Search for the right bolt

7. pull out and drop a box breaking the glass for my front signal light (beehive)

8. Find and install bolt

9. leave everything else off till I get a new belt tomorrow. (I wonder if there is a different alternator even though it is Lucas?)

10. Decide to work on the wiring.

11. Successfully fit the new grommet and feed the wire harness through the firewall on the fusebox side. Look for the dielectric grease to plug in the fusebox. No such luck.

12. Decide that I must do one thing so I will install my brand new Aston gas cap. Install the grub screws and try to figure out how to attach it to the fuel hose opening.

13. Remove metal fuel hose.

14. decide to email ebay seller for instructions.

15. grab a shower, a beer and watch Top Gear.

16. Did I say just 4 steps back?

:wall: :cryin: :crazyeyes: :thirsty:

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
LOL, that's funny. Sounds like the way most of us do it.

terriphill

Darth Vader
Huh? THis sounds like a typical day in the garage for us. I did finally manage to dya to figure out how to get the dash bolt that is just over the speedo tightened. Hey one bolt closer to completion!

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Sounds too easy to me. I usually come away with cuts and bruises, and no animals were harmed during the filming of this event.

bugimike

Yoda
jhorton3 said:
Sounds too easy to me. I usually come away with cuts and bruises, and no animals were harmed during the filming of this event.

:lol: :lol: :iagree: If I have not shed any blood, it has NOT been a fruitful day!!!!

tosoutherncars

Jedi Knight
Remove thermostat housing to replace 'stat.

New gasket, new 'stat.

Reinstall thermostat housing.

Torque nuts... strip bolt hole.

Remove thermostat housing.

Tap hole.

Reinstall thermostat housing.

It's never as easy as it should be, is it? But then if it was easy, everyone would be doing it...

Off-topic... JP, pondering upgrades to the Delco alt or an electric fan? Just got my electric mounted, nice to have it tucked in there.

walshja

Jedi Warrior
here's 1 saturday for me

1pm
go to store to buy rear diff fluid, head back home

1:45pm
get the drain plug out with a ratchet, oil drains

2:30pm
can't get fill plug out with ratchet, so head to Auto-Zone for proper tool, of course they don't have it

3:15pm
head to Lowes, hoping they have it, no luck

4pm
head to Home Depot, they don't have it, but I have an idea ... head to the hardware section and find some small washers that I can attach to my ratchet, allowing a tighter fit in the fill plug.

4:30pm
get home and my jerry rigged tool does the job, allowing me to remove the fill plug

5pm
finish filling differential and clean up the mess

so it took me 4 hours to drain and fill my rear diff, unbelievable

joe

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I am so glad I am in such auspicious company. Well, today went much better. Started by cleaning up the shop - found the dielectric grease and the polish I was looking for. Hooked up almost all the under hood wiring and took a good crack at cockpit wiring. Glued the new cap on the dashboard. ground off the flange on my filler hose and installed the Aston gas cap.

The big news however is this. As I cleaned, I took the time to put all the parts in their respective boxes (brakes, interior, final assembly etc.) I realized that my "under bonnet box" is essentially empty, my front suspension box is down to a zip lock bag (waiting on springs) and my brake box is also a zip lock bag for the same reason. In other words, there is a really good chance I'm going to be firing her up by the weekend - after 15 years - I never thought this day would come. All I need is

oil
fan belt
hoses (the small ones)
plugs
battery
and the dash installed

and I believe I am good to go.

OH, and I installed the steering column which brings me to my only question.

Where the column meets the steering rack, is there a flat spot on the fluted end (on the rack) where the bolt (on the column) slides on? Mine is horribly jammed right now.

thanks all for your support

:cheers:

abarth69

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
JP

Sounds great. I think I have a lense for you But stuck up at the cottage for this week fishing I will check on my return.

Mark

Dadandson

Jedi Trainee
Good news. The new rear leaf springs I ordered from Moss, that were back ordered and not supposed to arrive until mid August while my baby sat on jack stands, arrived today. I know what I am doing tonight.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
well, today went better - sort of.

day before yesterday I went to Canadian Tire and my new best friend Pierre spent 20 minutes finding a very close match for my fan belt. unfortunately it was 15 mm wide not 13, so when I got home it was too short by virtue of its extra width. today I returned the belt and went to talk to the nice lady at the automotive counter and she did what Pierre and I didn't - checked the computer. does Canadian Tire carry Midget fanbelts - of course they do! and it fits perfectly. then an hour or so going to the exact opposite end of town to get the remainder of my rad/ crankcase and fuel hoses.

come home, grab some lunch and set out to install the rad.

look in the engine bay and figure - "well, the fan is off and the rad out so I might as well finish hooking up the brake lines." check.

and while there is room, I might as well fix the spot where the exhaust touches the car. - of course removing it, I have to take out the reservoir tank again - ah well, I'll reinstall it correctly. can't bend the pipe - so I'll use my spare - except the stud is broken - so tomorrow off to the muffler shop.

and while the fan is out, I might as well fix the bolt that is wedged in the end of the steering column where I tried to tighten it on the fluted shaft on the steering rack. It will not drift out so after a 20 minute effort, I suddenly consider that I might be able to slide the column off the shaft - it works! remove the bolt which is now damaged beyond repair. decide to go get a new bolt, go in to tell my wife - come out and can I find the old bolt? of course not! tear the workbench apart 3 times - pause, look down and realize that there is a lone baggie with an unused bolt EXACTLY the right size. go figure, I bet there are only 2 bolts like that on the whole car and I have no idea what this one was for - except I think part of the pollution system.

reinstall the steering column - and yes, there is a flat side on the fluted column. of course half way through the column jams - now what? fortunately, before I dismantle the column, I realize that since I took the key out of the ignition yesterday the wheel had locked. reinsert key - reassembly a piece of cake.

so, the rad is still not installed, the fan still not there but I did make progress.

Oh and I got oil/ brake fluid etc etc. I kind of hate "might as wells" since that's what got me into this restoration in the first place - since I have to dismantle the engine, I might as well paint it... 4 years ago. On the other hand - we're getting closer by the hour.

T minus four days to ignition!

pray for me :cheers:

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I think Prayers are not necessary. You seem to have things well in hand. Press on John-Peter.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
thanks Jack (and of course prayers are always necessary)

Morris

Yoda
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]thanks Jack (and of course prayers are always necessary)[/QUOTE]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]If I have not shed any blood, it has NOT been a fruitful day!!!![/QUOTE]

Christian God requires prayer... car gods require blood.

Pray for your soul... bleed for your car.

Bruce_B

Jedi Warrior
Always happy to hear that I'm not the only one with issues and garage gremlns.

One important thing I've learned (don't ask how) is when the latex gloves
you're wearing fill with blood...it's time to take a break.

Country flag
Now if the radio starts playing by itself when there is no battery in the car....be afraid, be VERY afraid.....and RUN! :laugh: