• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 rack and pinion kit problem...

Rick_Thompson

Freshman Member
Silver
Country flag
Well, this happened the other day and I am wondering what the mind set would be to fix it..

I have a rack and pinion kit installed on the car. It has been a dream to use since getting the car back on the road this past summer. However, I started to get a little noise from the front end and have now found a problem with the unit.

I bought it from Ted Peters when he had British Restorations back in the day. It, along with Hermans tranny kit were bought around the mid 2000's and tucked away awaiting the restoration. About the time I started to install it around seven or eight years ago Ted shut his business down. I was able to get a number from the current owner of the business and we talked about a few things concerning the install. Since that time I have had no need to reach out to him. Until now. And he isnt available.

In the pics you can see the support tube of the rack with the tie rod passing up inside of it. It appears that there was a circular phenolic bushing at the end of the tube that kept the tie rod off the tube itself. I found that bushing in the grease that was at the end of the tube, in many small pieces. Not sure what broke it up, maybe it got a few cracks during installation when the tie rod was moved a bunch and mounted. Who knows..but it is destroyed and I cannot see any way to pass another one over the knuckle of the tie rod and tie rod end to get one back in place.

I have the right tie rod end off and have a pretty good view up into the tube....when hooked up and the steering wheel is turned the tie rod barely touches the tube when I bounce the front end very hard. I need to fabricate AND INSTALL a new bushing. Or make one from a bit of silicone as there is nothing the bushing does other than prevent contact between the tie rod and the tube. I have to have something flexible enough to pass over the tie rod knuckle and into place at the end of the tube. Then reinstall the boot, and the tie rod.

I am open to suggestions!

Attachments

• DSC04329.JPG
    DSC04329.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC04330.JPG
    DSC04330.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 38

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
Can you get things apart so that the tie rod presents an end the diameter of the rod and remains uniform to the other end? There must be a way to do this because manuf fitted the original bushing which would have required the conditions I describe. If so, brass bushings are available in almost any dimensions you specify and can be readily machined.
Bob

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
A suitable bushing can be made up from a leather belt and epoxied in place prior to
greasing and a new boot, Depending on the cost of the replacement you may want to
crap can it. Not sure who made these little jewels .....
Mad dog

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Converting back to peg and cam steering should not be that difficult if the brackets are on the frame. At least that way parts are available. Peg and cam works fine.

Jim_Stevens

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
How long ago did you buy the R&P unit? If it is like the others I’ve seen, there are two cylindrical rubber boots that should be covering what we’re seeing, held in place by two cable clamps. Moss sells the replacement boots here for an MGB, but probably have the same for a TR4, which may be closer. > Steering Rack Boot and Clamp Set, MGB <

OP
Rick_Thompson

Rick_Thompson

Freshman Member
Silver
Country flag
I have a new set of boots...they were never the issue. I tore one when breaking down the tie rod that had the failed bearing. And it was not a metal bearing but one I would describe as phenolic, a hard rubbery device. It was inserted in the end of the tube you see in the pics...it had deteriorated and the tie rod was banging into the tubular housing.
I could not remove the knuckle or the tie rod from the rack, all I could remove was the tie rod end/ball joint.
I could not slip anything over the end of the tube.
All I needed to do was construct something that isolated the end of the tbe from the tie rod.
I accomplished that today by using heavy watherstripping felt, three layers deep into the tube and epoxied into place.
This will work for the time being and get the car back on the road for a meet at Daytona Turkey Run set for tomorrow!
All is good. I would never go back to the old worm and peg steering system. This one is so much better. I will continue to improve upon it until it is working as good as it will

I wonder why we evolved into most every car being built today using a rack and pinion steering system? :smile:

DSC04333.JPG

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have the same R&P system,it was made by Bastuck & co in Germany the rack is out of an early Morris mini for the lefthand drive car the rack is from a righthand drive car so you should be able to find parts and a description of it somewhere.

Graham

OP
Rick_Thompson

Rick_Thompson

Freshman Member
Silver
Country flag
Thank you Graham, that was the intent of this post was to find the original manufacture of the unit so I can acquire what I need to do a proper fix in due time.

The car ran great today, we had a fanatastic time at the Daytona Speedway for the springtime Turkey Day run.

I had the only Triumph at the meet, with a lot of interest in the car. Chatted up the restoration all day long.

At the end of the day we all got to run our cars up onto the track. Since the banking is over 30 degrees inthe turns, it is impossible to venture up there unless at speed....we were only running 25-30 mph. Unfortunately, wife and I are not too keen on videos so will need to get one of the youngsters to get ours squared away....but I do have one of us entering in the tunnel and a pic of the car in the show car corral! And yes, we had a light rain bearing down on us as well...

IMG_0585.jpg

OP
Rick_Thompson

Rick_Thompson

Freshman Member
Silver
Country flag
Looks gorgeous! And yes, it looks identical. I wish that the left side boot was off so I coud see how the end of the tube is dressed out.

It will definitely take on a more level look once the weight of the motor and tranny is in place!

Jim_Stevens

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
My complaint of the unit I have is that the steering ratio sucks. Are these somewhat “quick throw” or even akin to the peg and worm? Incidentally, I use the Bastuck slip ring set. Jim

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
One more issue to watch for : Bump Steer . raise the front of the car and watch how the tires turn in or out as it goes up.

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Rick, if you look up Classic Mini steering rack you should be able to find all the info you are looking for

Graham

OP
Rick_Thompson

Rick_Thompson

Freshman Member
Silver
Country flag
Well, I have googled "classic mini" and all I get are cars for sale! Does anyone have a link to the website?

Thanks, and happy Good Friday to all

Jim_Stevens

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Rick, if you look up Classic Mini steering rack you should be able to find all the info you are looking for

Graham
Graham- do you know which classic mini rack fits a TR3? There are several on that site. Jim