• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Going one step further, to modify or switch?

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Having identified my need for more power/torque, I start to think along these lines. One route is put in the 1275, maybe a 5-speed, maybe disc brakes. Make the Tunebug faster. Not a cheap route, however. Not unreasonable, but not cheap. Is it advisable at this point to instead switch to a naturally faster car? MGB? TR3? Cost to switch would be similar to upgrading the Tunebug. Now, I like my Sprite a lot, but I'm certainly not locked into owning this car forever.

And of course there is my whole RHD thing. Do I fix up the Tunebug's major issues over the next year or 2 and move on to a different car?

Thoughts?

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
IMHO (since I own a modified BE, which I love). It is basically how much do you enjoy that nimble handling the looks that those cute little eyes gather everywhere they go, etc.

If you do choose to modify it a stock 1275 with some light head work would be enough umph, I would leave the four banger and convert to disc brakes. That shouldn't set you back that much. If you did the work yourself it would set you back about the same amount as buying a larger engine car from the same period. If you just wanted to pickup a CB midget, then you could probably put some money back into your pocket.

I have never been in favor of taking a non A series engine and ploping it in one. I believe that it just destroys the value and heritage of the LBC. I have always been in favor of doing mods that make the car more drivable, while preserving the heritage.

This is all in my humble opinion.

BTW, I have a beautful CB Midget for sale - hehehe

dklawson

Yoda
That's strictly your decision. However, I suspect Bugeyes command more money if unmolested though there's clearly a market for ones that have had engine swaps and conversions. Were it my car, I'd leave it close to stock or at least make the conversions reversible. If you want more speed and power, you'll probably find the MGB economical. It's certainly doable with the TR3 but I believe they command more money up front than most MGBs.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Tis my understanding that a real good head will improve HP by at least 10 all by its self, that's like 23% folks. Of course there are other things that are bolt on to get another 10% without a big deal, like a cam and 1.25 carbs and exhaust manifold.

Is a 40% increase on 1275 lbs of car enough? In conjuction with a rebuild that you will need one of these days we are not talking big bucks at all.

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
Jack:

I see you've been reading your bible - hehehe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

psss - ya forgot the intake manifold.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Patrick

msoylemez

Jedi Trainee
wow Drew, that was a short marriage!

Just kidding, I thought you loved the bugeye for the sake of it being a bugeye though...not because of its (lack of) performance.

If so, keep the bugeye! (I am biased, of course)

Mustafa

Morris

Yoda
If you are patient. You can make the Tunebug something spectacular without spending a lot of cash.

If you keep your eyes and ears open, I bet a rebuildable 1275 will come your way for little or no money. Start collecting the parts over time from eBay, craigslist, BCF etc, and before you know it, you will have everthing you need for Tunebug's rebuild.

You will end up with exactly the car that you want, and you will be far more satisfied with it than you will be owning someone else's project.

Also, in my experience of buying old cars (I've had my hands on a few) rarely does someone sell a car when it is running perfect without any problems. Odds are that if you by another car, you will be right were you are with Tunebug, and where you were with the 4. The devil you know is better than the devil you don't.

Finally, my dad has picked up several OPP's (other people's projects) over the last few years. (1964 Mustang GT Convetible, 32 Ford Vicky) He is always instantly bored with them. For some reason he has also taken up a habit of buying wrecked trucks and fixing them up. I suspect he loves those trucks more than he loves my mom.

Ps. Don't listen to Doug. The "B" in MGB stands for BOAT.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yea Pat, I have been reading the book. Kind of makes me wish I had done a few of those things as I was building this engine. However, I am collecting and watching and learning.

My collection only includes a 1275 exhaust manifold at the present but I got an eye out.

dklawson

Yoda
"B" is for "boat"? I've always liked the MGB. A friend of mine used to describe his LBCs by how many miles he'd care to drive them on long trips. His Spridgets were 200 mile cars while the "B" was his 500 mile car. I love my Mini but I'd put it (in my case) as a 100 mile car (too buzzy on the highway). I like the metal bumper "B" and would like to own one vintage 1966/67 (someday). I never thought of them as boats.

saabmp3

Jedi Hopeful
Droo,

I think you need to decide what car you really want, size and power wise (I read through your whole site a couple weeks ago, so I know the process you went through to get the tuneBug). Eventually there comes a point with these guys that you have to find one you like, stick with it and build it out how you want.

Sure you can go out and buy another car for the same price of upgrading the tuneBug, but who knows what kind of problems you're going to find in that car. Everything is going to be 20-50 years old; they're all going to have major issues associated with them. The next car you pickup might need a complete engine overhaul.

I think (this is obviously IMO only) that you found the car that you really wanted. Now you're having a bit of "don't meet your hero" remorse as it's not all you dreamed it would be. All you need to do now is make it the car tht you dreamed it would be.

I'm in the process of making my Sprite the car I want it to be. It's going to take years (because I can only work on it 3 months a year currently), but I still drive the heck out of it currently. When something breaks, I'm looking for upgrades. Heck, I'm ALWAYS looking for upgrades. I picked up that tranny, now it's sitting while I try to find all the other parts I need to make it work.

The gathering process is going to be hard for all of these cars. The time that it takes has a DIRECT correlation to the amount of money exiting your wallet. As Jack said, you could probably pick up a rebuilt or good condition 1275 quite cheap. You just need to wait long enough for a good deal to come about.

Ben

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
my 1275 right now is putting me very close to getting a ticket, with no mods, just the stock H2 etc, plenty of umph.
The only reason I'm going with a selection of small mods is reliability rather than HP.
That'll be plenty of fun.
(Secretly I'm musing Trevor Jessie's supercharged midget, seeing in the Moss catolog didn't help!)

Morris

Yoda
Sorry Doug. I was just being a smart alec. I really need to learn how to use those stupid smiley things.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
heh. I've logged hundreds of thousands of miles in my MGB's, 800+ mile weekends ~used to be~ common. Even back then I doubt I'd have been happy or comfortable doing that in a Spridget... tho I did those same treks in the Elan happily. I guess it depends on more than just *size*. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Morris

Yoda
Oh man! Don't get me wrong. I love my Midget. But I am DONE after about 50 miles.

The purpose of my Midget is to get me to and from my miserable job with a smile on my face. That's 16 miles round trip. Juuuuust right.

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
The purpose of my Midget is to get me to and from my miserable job with a smile on my face.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif

RobSelina

Jedi Warrior
1000 miles in twisties is different than 1000 miles down I-40 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
Yes, the 1275 offers good power stock in a BE. I just wanted a little bit more after 20 yrs so I choose to modify my 1275.

Also selling my 911 to finance this restoration was inspiring me. Then also having a new MINI S also inspired me, because I want my BE to be as fast if not faster. So each day when I pick the keys to which vehicle gets driven the BE is insured some crusin time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

zimmy

Jedi Knight
bugeyes are hard to come by ....
make it fast and have a blast!
take a week or 2 away from messing with
it , THEN decide what u want.... ; )
that simple...zimmmmy

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Someone smack me for saying this....but...

if you didn't like the 4 you really aren't going to like a 3.

Think of a 3 as a TR4 that spent too much time behind a trailer with all the carnys at the county fair and a case of tequila.

Sure it's a lot of fun to ride but it's a "little rough around the edges"

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif