• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Software for Simple Electrical Diagrams

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I am in the process of gathering information about various TR electrical fixes and upgrades from members of our local club, and plan to post these technical articles on our OVTC.net website. Can anyone point me in the direction of software to create simple electrical diagrams with appropriate symbols. I have CorelDraw, Visio (2000 but not Technical), and Illustrator so plugins for any of these would be great. Other option is something public domain that would do the job. Simple and cheap (or free) definitely preferred. Cheers, Mike

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Your Coreldraw can do a good job of it. Any symbol you can download off the internet can be cropped and inserted. These old cars do not have many symbols, so you could even draw and save your own symbols to insert in later drawings.

That said, I have owned my Corel program for 6 years, and can't even get a simple drawing out of it. I've watched guys that know what they are doing work it fast and easily...but I always get bogged down on simple issues and go back to my Autocad. Although I can really recommend the Autocad for what you are doing, it doesn't come close to the "cheap and easy" criteria.

OP
mgedit

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks John. I could use Corel and create the symbols. Just seemed that they may exist already elsewhere pre-made. Visio is very good for org charts and such, but my copy is so old it has no "technical" add-ons, which I understand the newer versions do. Cheers, Mike

dklawson

Yoda
Can Corel or other readily available programs generate dual-color lines? For example, if you want to make a wiring diagram with headlight wiring you would need blue, blue/white, and blue/red. I have handled this in a very inconvenient way with AutoCad (old R14) by making two equally spaced dashed lines of different colors and positioning them over each other. It is a real pain because of the line spacing and the need to manually put one line on top of another. I'd like to find some software that lets me draw the 2-colored lines directly.

alanjohnturner

Jedi Trainee
The diagrams in my article on the BCF home page were done with a package called Eagle. The symbols were more or less all in the library.

This is an overkill just for diagrams really because its really for full circuit-card layouts.

This is great to use, powerful and bug-free.

Al.

OP
mgedit

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks for the hints. I found that there is a Corel font called Electronics that has some electrical symbols that can be used. Still a fairly laborious process, but doable. Sounds like TinyCAD would be worth checking out. In Corel making double colours for wires would require same sort of line drawing far as I know. Cheers, Mike

danmas

Jedi Trainee
I am in the process of gathering information about various TR electrical fixes and upgrades from members of our local club, and plan to post these technical articles on our OVTC.net website. Can anyone point me in the direction of software to create simple electrical diagrams with appropriate symbols. I have CorelDraw, Visio (2000 but not Technical), and Illustrator so plugins for any of these would be great. Other option is something public domain that would do the job. Simple and cheap (or free) definitely preferred. Cheers, Mike

I made these using CorelDraw: https://www.advanceautowire.com/tr2506.pdf and then converted them into PDF with CorelDraw. May not be the easiest way to do it, but I was familiar with CorelDraw and none of the others so it worked for me. By the time I got through with these and the MGB diagrams, I got real good at making two-color wiring.

I created my own symbols, and then just cut & pasted them whenever I needed them.

OP
mgedit

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks for the additional suggestions. I'm more familiar with Corel as well, and think I may just stick with it for now. Cheers, Mike