• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Simple audio system

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
A while back I posted a question about putting an audio system in my 100. I wanted something not visible, small, and capable of running a signal off an iPod. Here is what I've done.

On e-bay I found a small 2 channel amplifier. It is a Mitzu MIT-75R. It says 250W per channel, but does not specify if that is peak or RMS, so I'm guessing it is probably less than half of that. It came with a free adapter cord that goes from the earphone jack to RCA connectors, so I was happy. Cost about $45. I installed it against the bulkhead on top of the glove tray. I wired next to it an illuminated rocker switch that I can see from the drivers seat. This is because I took power off the battery side of the starter solenoid and didn't want it to be on when ever the battery disconnect switch was on, but I wanted to be able to use it with the ignition off. Inside the door pockets there is a small stiffener just forward of the opening. I was able to fasten a couple of oval 6" speakers such that they face aft and are not very obvious. I drilled a small hole for the speaker wire and put black heat shrink on the wire so that it too is not very noticeable. I have an 8gig iPod that holds my entire LP and CD collection, modest as it is. There is some very neat hardware available for putting LP's into MP3 files that costs under $100. I can plug the Ipod directly into the amp and get sound that suits me. For the radio I found another treat. Apple makes a tiny unit called an iPod radio remote. It plugs into the ipod and turns it into an FM receiver. It measures 1" x 1.25" x 1/4" thick. It is tiny. It costs about $50. The reception is very good but is very sensitive to placement of the iPod and the wiring. It has a clip on it so you can clip it to your shirt or anything fairly thin. It has pre-set staion capability and I am quite happy with it. All done for about a couple of hundred bucks (iPod not included). Plus, when I get to where I'm going I can unplug the iPod and take it with me in a shirt pocket. I could remove the whole system and leave no trace in about a half hour. On to the next project.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I put the speakers in my hundred o the floor between the rear bulkhead and the seats on each side of the tranny tunnel--not ideal for sound quality, but they really have nowhere to go there and they aren't really visable either.

I have a conventional CD stereo mounted under the parcel tray.

I can also take it all out in a half hour or less, didn't drill any holes, etc. When you put the speakers in the door pockets did you run wire through the front door jambs?, not clear on how you wired those.

OP
roscoe

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I drilled a #21 hole just below the upper door hinge through the door and ran the wire out the door and just tucked it under the upholstry panel and on up under the dash. The wires show, but in black shrink tube is protected and not too ugly. Obviously with the door closed you don't see it. I may clean this up a bit, but I'm going to think about it for a while. I really wanted my speakers in the front section of the door pouch area.

Jon

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Healeys have the best audio systems, you just got to know where to find it...the volume control is right there on the floor, next to the brake pedal.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
It is a shame to me that this type of comment shows up whenever we have a thread about radios. Having a radio doesn’t change the natural sounds of the Healey. So the comment really serves no purpose in the context of the thread. What it does do, is belittle the poster into thinking he did something wrong. It also may deter some from even posting on this forum , why bother if people put your efforts down? Personally, I applaud people passing on their experiences to help make someone’s life a little easier. Thank you Roscoe, and also thanks Roger (Ausmhly) who tried several types of speakers and reported on the ones that worked the best. I think a couple people even used his design.

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
gee wiz, I was making a light hearted comment about how great Healey's sound. fact is I didn't even read the post. I'm certain it contains useful information.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Nevets,SHhhhhhh.---Keoke-- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

OP
roscoe

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Nevets,
Don't worry, no offense taken. The audio system is really more for those nice fall days when we pack a lunch and a bottle of wine, drive out to a nearby vinyard and have a picnic. I need the music to while-away some time, because I drank more than half of that wine and need to rest an hour or two....

Jon