• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB What happened to a simple engine refresh?

WillR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Might as wells seem to find there way to the top of my priority list.:cower: Oh well My wiring had more then its fair share of gremlins so this will be nice. Hay is in for the winter, the block is back from the builder, the Mr olympia competition in vegas was a blast and the daily has not screamed to a halt yet. So i figure its about time to get some soldering done before my un insulated garage is top cold to try.
Wiring is not my strong point and i have tried hard to avoid having to work on it so the 2nd picture fills me with a bit of dread. (bet you cant tell what part of the harness was inside and what part was under the car.) I have now lost count of the number of times i have re read the instructions for this project. It seems pretty straight forward. Does not mean I cant find a way to make it harder then it should be. :wink-new: I am impressed with the heft of the new harness. It will add a bit of weight to the car. Should be heavier gauge wires and better insulation.
That last picture is just for fun. Thats me on the far left the day of finals... Jk. He placed 6th my wife and I in the center with a friends baby. The guy o the left got 11th place. Here i thought i was in shape.

SDC16624.jpgSDC16629.jpgDSC_0070.jpg

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Wiring's really not too bad, follow the directions and get everything roughly in place in the car before you start connecting stuff. Even the later MGBs aren't too complex.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
This is what I do when disconnecting wiring. Pull one wire at a time and tag it. Takes a lot of time but pays off in the end when you want to put things back together. The complete harness is being put back in the car and the dash in this photo, after being out of the car and in a box for over a year. It was a piece of cake! PJ

View attachment 34760

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I did something similar to what Paul did when I rewired the Tunebug a few years ago. Marked every connection carefully, then matched the new harness to the old one before installation. Admittedly a Bugeye is a bunch simpler, but the theory is the same.

With Penny Bugeye I just yanked the old harness out. We'll see how good my familiarity with Bugeyes really is when it comes time to put the new harness back in. :grin:

OP
WillR

WillR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Lol. Drew Im guessing by then end of it you will be real familiar :smile: Paul, I was real carful with the engine removal and marked everything but I was not with the harness. That guy just got pulled out. I had to swallow the frog and the longer I thought about it the more hesitant I was. RIP NOW THINK LATER. One day Ill learn thats a bad mentality. That photo shows a steller attention to detail well done.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
RIP NOW THINK LATER. One day Ill learn thats a bad mentality.

It's so easy when you're in tear-down mode to just dive in and tear apart. Then a year (or more) later you're left with a part in your hand wondering what it is and where it goes. :smile:

OP
WillR

WillR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Ok life happened again. I guess I cant complain to much. My daily driver literally ground to a halt. Then any spare day I had was focused on that beast with this problem and that. My wife was driving insane miles a week and I never had a chance to go through it properly before she started as our other died out right.

Fast forward to the bitter cold of Idaho winter we are moving south. My wife started her new job and I am left packing the house and plugging this harness together. Looks like ill be able to focus some real time on it now :smile:

Im looking for replacement rubber groments. For example i need the one that fits the body hole behind the wiper motor that a bunch of the harness went to. As well as some small ones you find in the trunk for the fuel pump. No luck on northwestimports unless i was not looking hard enough. Any one have a line on these guys?

OP
WillR

WillR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Found some "pcv" grommets for about 4 bucks a piece that seem to work at one of the local places.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Funny how easily life gets in the way. Funny and consistent...

Where south are you heading to? Heck, at this point the Utah winter hasn't been that bad (and that is bad).

OP
WillR

WillR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
This week has warmed up nicely. Hot 30 yesterday in the garage. I would have some pictures for an update if I had not left the shop camera out in the garage in the cold. Only a few hrs south. Right now we will be staying in Rose Park. Just north of downtown Salt Lake I do love to play in little cotton wood with some heavy snow. Heck i love it in the middle of summer to. Your not kidding about consistent. Frustrating but it is what it is. At least Im getting to it now. I did not realize how many odds and ends I had until this move snuck up on us.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Welcome to Utah! It's a strange place sometimes, but I've been here 20 years and still enjoy it.

You should check out our local British car club (https://www.bmcutah.org). Nice group of folks -- I'm not usually a club sorta guy but I've been with this one 10 years now.

OP
WillR

WillR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks Drew. I love getting around like minded people. Thanks for the heads up. Soon enough I should have a running British car to enjoy to!