• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

So this happened...

Morris

Yoda
BrokenAxel.jpg

Fortunately the only person or vehicle damaged was the Midget. The wheel nearly missed a brand new BMW when it departed the car. I was already in the shoulder when the wheel departed. The brake managed to hold it on until I was safe. Another stroke of good luck was my wife's attitude was "the car took care of you!" It could have easily been "THAT CAR IS TRYING TO KILL YOU!"

BTW... does anyone have a swivel axle they want to sell me?

Country flag
I can't tell from the picture. Did the threaded portion break off.

Glad no one was hurt.

OP
Morris

Morris

Yoda
I think so Trevor. I haven't had a chance to take a closer look.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Ouch. Discus-interruptus!

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
John Twist's caution about tube shocks comes to mind as well.

OP
Morris

Morris

Yoda
I think if John Twist had cautioned against over tightening an axle nut in an attempt to lessen wheel wobble, it might be more apropos. Pretty sure superstition had nothing to do with the failure.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
glad you are OK - as well as bystanders

nomad

Yoda
See you are running tapered roller bearings. Wonder if that aggravated the problem. Again, glad all are OK!!!

Kurt.

OP
Morris

Morris

Yoda
I have been having problems with that side since I got the car. It has burned through 3 sets of bearings including the roller bearings you see in the picture. I had assumed that the problem was operator error. But the driver side has no problems at all and the bearing were installed by the same operator. Before this happened, I was considering replacing that swivel axel and starting over from scratch. Now I am very seriously considering replacing it.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I have 2 sets of swivel axles and the radius on the stub is different. This makes the regular ball bearings without the proper radius stick out a little far without complete contact. 1 is in my shop and the other is stuck on my 73 parts car about an hour away. I'll look and see which one is nearby and post.
Rut

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And so you had the wife lean across the bonnet and hold that corner up while you drove home.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have been having problems with that side since I got the car. It has burned through 3 sets of bearings including the roller bearings you see in the picture. I had assumed that the problem was operator error. But the driver side has no problems at all and the bearing were installed by the same operator. Before this happened, I was considering replacing that swivel axel and starting over from scratch. Now I am very seriously considering replacing it.

I thought I saw it was a roller bearing, but don't I see the distance piece/space as well? The pic is to small to clearly make out what I'm seeing. You can't use the stock distance piece with tapered roller bearings. That would be why you had a wheel wobble, and this problem. I gather it was also overtightened per your previous comments.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Morris,
i have the drivers side in my shop, so the passenger side is at the farm. I plan on heading down sometime in October if you can wait.
Rut

OP
Morris

Morris

Yoda
Thank you Rut. My wife is going back to the Mayo Clinic next week, so car projects are on the back burner indefinitely. Please do not go to any trouble on my account. I will PM you when I get closer to having time to work on the car.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Sounds good and I'll look for your pm. Take care of your wife and I'll also send prayers her way.
Rut

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Thoughts and prayers for the missus from me too.