• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What ever happened to---

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Almost time to replace the exhaust on my MGB, and there is not much to choose from out there. What happened to Ansa, Stebro and Abarth? I don't need a megabuck stainless system ,just something that sounds decent and doesn't break the bank. Suggestions? (MGB is a '72). Thanks, Bob

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
I have the cheapo Peco system and so far so good. I bought it from Proper MG 2 years ago for about $125. Another option is to take it to a local muffler shop and have them bend and make something for you.

G

I have the Monza system on mine and it is great. But I got it maybe 15 years ago and was shocked at what they are charging for it now at VBL. It has a great low powerfull tone to it. I think at that time it was only around $130 from J.C.Whitney. They used to handle a few parts for MG's but no more.
Bob

Bret

Yoda
I think there are a lot of fine systems out there that are much better than what came with our vehicles from the factory. In my case - I purchased a new stock exhaust from Victoria British. With all new hanging hardware the total price was about $200. I picked up the tail pipe tip at the local AutoZone parts store.

newexhaust.jpg

Overall I am extremely happy with it. Great sound – almost a low rumble at idle and has a rich throaty note under power. Surprising given how anemic sounding the old exhaust system it replaced.

The only down side is that the middle muffler is a bit larger than the old relatively flat one. Because I’ve lowered my 78B I have to be careful going over speed bumps – or I “will” drag the muffler. So if you’ve lowered your MGB significantly like I did you should probably keep that in mind when making your selection.

Personally if I had to do it over again, I would probably opt for a stainless steel system as it would last longer. However this isn’t such an issue here in Southern California.

78MGB

Jedi Hopeful
My 78 was desmogged when I bought her. There is only the rear muffler. Suggestions when a replacement is needed would be appreciated. What does the mid-muffler do, performance and sound wise? Thanks!

Bob, what has a Google search come up of with in regards to the brands you are interested in?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
I think (and please don't quote me on this) the mid muffler adds extra silencing and a little more back pressure to the system. My system only has a single muffler positioned where the mid muffler would normally be. I may have it moved to the rear of the car when i have the rest of my exhaust plumbing changed though.

Steve_S

Yoda
The center muffler on the B cuts out the low tones, the rear cuts out the highs. Removing the center will allow more exhaust flow and make the exhaust note sound lower and a little louder.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
that's with a stock type system, right?

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
I replaced my stainless muffler, which had hit a few too many speed bumps and driveway aprons, with a stock muffler and now wish I had found a stainless pipe to put in there. The only stainless components I could find were complete sets. I keep hoping to find a plain stainless pipe to replace the muffler with...any ideas will be appreciated.

Bruce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Mack

I did as suggested above, had a local shop bend it for me, cost about $100.00 bucks, I had them put on a straight through muffler, sounded pretty tough, but it got quite annoying after awhile, so I just replaced it with a pretty stock muffler. I beleave it was about 22" long and 6 1/2 inches round. It fit in nice and snug and now all I hear is the stereo and the engine purr. Good luck MACK