• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What Happened to my Triumph?

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
I am amazed at the statistics on the forum, with TRIUMPH having over 200,000 posts, and no other forum even close. Even MG is less than half of the TR posts.

Years back no one cared a hoot about my TR. It was viewed as a small, powerless, foreign made car, with leaks, loose and burnt wires, and rattles everywhere. No one turned a head or ever said anything flattering.

MGs had more respect. They seemed tighter, with closer door lines, a quieter engine, a sleaker dash, and a look slightly more refined.

But now look what's happened. TRs have sustained international appeal and following, with engineers, mechanics, professors, lawyers, accountants, salesmen, stockbrokers, investors, photographers, actors and other novices all playing with them and learning how to fix and restore them.

Here's to keeping that trend alive.

Which brings back why supporting our vendors is a good thing for all of us. They won't make those TR4A and TR250 sidemarkers if the damand isn't out there, and the same goes for fenders, trunk lids, door skins, chrome capping, mirrors, frame sections, transmission gears, radiators, bumpers and the whole bit. I could make a case for buying extras based on that concern alone.

Sure, we can find some parts with ease, but any one part that no one has would be a nightmare.

Just thoughs before going back to work. . .

M

Member 10617

KVH. You are exactly right! Back in 1962, even the '60 Austin Healy Sprite I had got more respect than my '58 TR3. In the intervening years, people ran the TR3s into the ground because they were considered "the poor man's Jaguar... etc, etc." Triumphs were to be run, enjoyed, and discarded. Triumphs were "expendable." MGs reigned.

But now people are finding out that the Triumphs are tough and dependable little cars, capable -- when in good condition -- of very good service. And I think that the looks -- always great to my eye -- are now being appreciated.

I believe that the popularity of Triumphs will only grow over the years. As Classic Motorsports wrote in January 2010, "Buy yours soon before the rest of the world discovers the TR3 (And we're including the TR3A and TR3B variants here.)"

G

It's even fun to say the word TRIUMPH. Probably a guy thing. Try saying KIA. NO SOUL!

OP
KVH

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
There's always something in a name.

For Triumph, it connotes endurance, perseverance, strength and survival.

Country flag
For some reason I was attracted first to the Triumph over all the LBCs years ago. I can say I've owned just about every major make and model and still like the TR best all around.

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Central Pennsylvania in the sixties, the pecking order had the TR's only behind the Jaguars, and big Healey's. In the sports car crowd, there wasn't anyone thinking TR's were under powered or somehow second class.

rlwhitetr3b

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
KVH said:
I am amazed at the statistics on the forum, with TRIUMPH having over 200,000 posts, and no other forum even close. Even MG is less than half of the TR posts.

This was discussed on the MG forum a few weeks ago. They decided it was because Truimphs had more problems. :devilgrin: :jester:

tomshobby

Yoda
rlwhitetr3b said:
KVH said:

This was discussed on the MG forum a few weeks ago. They decided it was because Truimphs had more problems. :devilgrin: :jester:

Oh, I thought it was the other way around, Triumph owners have more time to discuss things because they aren't always fixing.
When I bought an MG I got a Midget so I would have smaller problems! :crazy: