• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rocker cover gasket help

BritCarFan

Jedi Hopeful
Hello forum,

How does on properly install a new cork gasket under the rocker cover. Is there some kind of adhesive that will make the gasket stay in place while assembling?

Thanks

Adam58

Jedi Hopeful
I like Hylomar. Never drys but holds things in place and doesn't leak. You can get it at Pep Boys etc.

Adam

Steve_S

Yoda
You should have a couple tabs on the valve cover to hold it in place. It doesn't have to be perfect, just make sure it's even all the way around and apply medium hand torque to the valve cover nuts.

dklawson

Yoda
On the A-series I don't think he'll have tabs to hold the gasket in place.

I use blue RTV to glue the gasket to the rocker cover. I place a flat plate on the workbench (a piece of glass is good) and rest the valve cover on that flat plate while the RTV cures. That keeps the head-side of the gasket flat while the RTV fills the voids to the rocker cover. This means very little torque is required to seat the valve cover to prevent leaks.

dklawson

Yoda
Steve, I assumed since the post was by BritCarFan that he was concerned about one of the cars in his profile. In this case, his 1990 Mayfair which I believe has an A+ engine. I'm sorry if I assumed too much.

An interesting thing about the forums here is that you're likely to see Sprite posts in the Healey forum just as often as seeing Midget posts in the MG forum. Both are valid places to post but in each instance the Spridget forum would probably get more replies.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
What's not pointed out is where to put the hylomar. On the gasket to cover - on the gasket to head - or both.

R

RonMacPherson

My recommendation, is when using any sealant, always put it on the component being bolted on. That way when you go to remove the component clean upwill be a lot simpler.

dklawson

Yoda
Thanks for pointing that out Vping. I did say I used RTV to glue the gasket to the cover. I do not use RTV on the other side of the gasket. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
When I do cork gaskets, I lay the gasket on some type of throw away paper, cardboard etc. I then spray it with Permatex High Tack, turn it over and spray the other side. Follow directions for installing. It is a time proven product tested by many years of use in the automotive industry and racing circuit. The gasket is easily removed at a later date should you need to do so and if the gasket is not crushed or broken, can be used again. By spraying the gasket, you eliminate getting sealer on the engine components. Make sure the mating surfaces are clean and dry. I don't like vinyl sealers on engine parts. The factory didn't use them, neither will I. JMHO. PJ

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
dklawson said:
Thanks for pointing that out Vping. I did say I used RTV to glue the gasket to the cover. I do not use RTV on the other side of the gasket. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

No biggie at all.

It's what I usually do but I remember when I did not know this. I called attention to it cause I figure if others see this, it might make it more memorable to them that this conversation has taken place, in this thread.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I only used sealer on one side. No leaks here.

Steve_S

Yoda
I don't use sealer at all. No leaks. If your cover gasket is leaking you have one of three things happening...

1. Valve cover is warped or damaged
2. Excessive crankcase pressure / not venting properly
3. Low quality, permeable cork gasket

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'm with Steve_S on this one.....I don't use anything....I fit it inside the 'groove' in the valve cover & install....no leaks.

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif naked

Pat

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
GB1 said:
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif naked

Pat

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif Of course.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I use RTV to glue it to the cover. Strictly for convenience: if I want to take the cover off for any reason the gasket stays in position and seals easily the next go 'round.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
RTV will help hold it in the little groove when you turn it upside down, I've gotta admit.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
I do the same as doc, primarily for the convenience. I've also swapped the cork gasket out for one of them silicon jobs. So far, it seals well, and isn't "hardening"